• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Same Ole Atlanta Hustle

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

clinched.png

So I know even less about ultimate disc (my fratbros wanted me to do intramurals back in the day, until they saw just how badly I hurl a frisbee) than I do about rugby. But Atlanta has had a team in the USA's top semi-pro league, the AUDL, for about six seasons and counting, playing on a field at St. Pius X Catholic High. Despite the departure of their franchise star in 2021, the team's title prospects have never looked brighter.

EnhBqWGXMAItU_7.jpg

The Hustle have reached the AUDL Playoffs for the first time since 2016, following a 9-3 record that had them finishing third in the Atlantic Division. 2016 league MVP Dylan Tunnell is no longer with the team after retiring, but Austin Taylor has picked up the slack. The team captain's 13 assists in the August 21 season finale at Pittsburgh set a Hustle franchise record. Taylor's tied for second in the league with 55 assists on the season, while on defense, Brett Hulsmeyer's 23 blocks set a team record and tied for tops in the AUDL.

0819%E2%80%94champ%20tix%20header.jpg

The AUDL's Final Four weekend will be held at Audi Field in Washington, home of the division champ DC Breeze. But to get there, Atlanta will have to go on the road and knock off the defending (2019, as 2020's season got COVID-cancelled) AUDL champions.

E-ECmp3XoAY_1ne?format=jpg&name=medium

They were hoping for some help over the weekend to host the playoff game in Atlanta, but the New York Empire would have none of it, beating Boston to finish at 10-2 for second in the Atlantic. Last month, the Hustle edged out the Empire in what I am sure was a thrilling 22-21 victory at St. Pius Field. Also in July, Atlanta avenged a home loss to the Breeze by beating DC a week later on their field, 17-13.

San Diego and Chicago clinched their trips to the nation's capital after wins in their Divisional Round playoff games last weekend, Ahead of this weekend's action, league blogger Evan Lepler writes:

https://www.theaudl.com/league/tuesday-toss/2021-audl-tuesday-toss-week-13-playoffs-west-central-division-championships

The Atlantic situation will settle itself soon enough, as Raleigh travels to DC this Friday and Atlanta journeys to New York this Saturday. Whoever advances, the race for the title feels as wide open as ever. Consequently, the thin line between perfection and implosion also feels tiny, precious, and precarious, a reality that the four Atlantic participants must recognize and embrace heading into the biggest games of their seasons this weekend.

If the championship is as wide-open as Lepler suggests, a road win this weekend over the defending league champs ought to have Atlanta's spirits high heading into DC.

Can't Knock The Hustle!

~lw3

• Like 1