• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheed has more talent than Reef

Dukegotgame

I wouldnt go as far as to say that it is obvious to everyone, but I do believe a mentally straight Sheed is a slightly more valuable player than Reef. Reef is a little undersized at PF and that makes it easier to shut him down in crunch time. I also worry somewhat about Reef's back problems.

I dont think Sheed is $4million (or whatever the salary difference is) better than Reef. And I dont think player for player the trade is close to even. Overall, all the players involved are overpaid in my book. I guess I can live with the trade since I doubt we were gonna resign Reef or Theo and now we probably wont resign Sheed either. Funny enough, then if we cant get a top free agent we might end up better off anyways. We'd suck next year, get a better draft pick, then resign Reef as a free agent if he better fits in with what we have by then!

• Premium Member

Actually, Sheed is in the prime of his career. In fact, I suspect that Sheed will put up some damn good numbers this year. The problem is that Sheed has a propensity to shoot the outside shot too much.

Sheed also is not as Physical in the Low Post.

BUT, otherwise, he's not much different than Reef. I think Reef is a better scorer in terms of FG%.

I never said Sheed puts up stats better than Reef. Reef gets the most out of his abilites, however Sheed has not even come close. This guy if he gets his head straight is in the KG type mold of a forward. First of all he is bigger, likes the perimeter game, and is way more atheltic. If some coach could get him straight, he would be a top 10 player overall in this league IMO

we don't need any more perimeter players. Reef was the only inside player we had. Now we have a PF who likes to jack up outside shots. He and Jackson will stand around out on the 3 pt line, while no one goes inside and no one rebounds. This was an unbelievably stupid trade.

• Admin

Look at the bigger picture. The offence is Randolph as primary and Wallace as secondary. Plus you also have Anderson and Stodmire scoring. Wallace will score more here.

As far as rebounding, Randolph and Davis is getting most of the rebounds because Wallace has been moved out to SF. He would rebound more here too as a PF.

• Premium Member

Did you ever watch PTL play?

First off, Sheed is not a C.

Secondly. Sheed is not a second option the way they used him.

Randolph dominated the ball. However, the reason I said Sheed is in his prime is because he's athletic, somewhat defensive, and can shoot. He's going to pull a change that superseeds AW going from Boston to Dallas.

I suggest for these last 30 games, Sheed Stats will shoot up to:

24 ppg, 11 rpg, 1.3 bpg with about 46.3% from the field and 37% from three.

I also think Jackson's game will improve.

Diaw must be the BU PG?

• Premium Member

And while looking at the Stats, did you look at the teams he played for:

Washington with Howard and Webber as a rookie, soph.

Then Portland with their Deep team and Dunleavy's rotations.

He comes here, he will play beside Nazr. I suppose we will bring up another BU C.

The reason his numbers (FG % and RPG) have dropped seems to be BECAUSE of Randolph getting the room in the inside. We all know Arvydas wasn't there in the past.

The only reason both numbers won't improve in ATL relates to the personnel:

A) Nazr is a rebounding force (have you seen his rebounds per minute lately - WOW!)

B) He'll be forced into some bad shots b/c any shot of his is better than Boris or Glove.

Regardless, he'll play more of an inside game, and should show some success against Eastern big men.

The least we got out of this deal is a guy who will have increased trade value.

-Skaughtybee

I agree with Diesel, Sheed's numbers will pick up bigtime, especially if Hendu doesnt come back for many minutes. I'll guess 24/10 with nearly 3 blks. If we can find a good defensive center (is Alvin Jones Jr playing in Europe?) then I think we'll be a better team. I'd still dump him for some picks though cause I doubt we can resign him or make the playoffs.

IMan,

Why would rasheed's numbers become incredible?

This guys BEST statistical year was 01-02 where he scored 19.3 PPG. He was also shooting 2 times more than Reef per game.

So, all of a sudden, this guy is going to make a 5 PPG leap from his best year?

Not to mention rebound 4 boards more per game than his career average at the same time?

WOW! Terry Stotts has a profound effect on players.

Get your head out of the sand. Ain't gonna happen.

He is going to get doubled like Reef did and he won't be able to score out of it. rasheed isn't half the offensive player Reef is.

There is not one aspect (save blocks - and he should have more - he is 2 inches taller than Reef) that rasheed is better than Reef in. People will say defense, but rasheed isn't this stellar defender either.

Play.

I guess we'll see how it all pans out. My thinking is that if Sheed comes in playing hard, which is likely due to contract issues and such, then he'll get the ball and the stats. I'm sure Nazr will pick up some of Theo's lost shots but I'd still bet that if we traded just Theo then Reef woulda bumped up his stats a few points per game. Who we gonna bring in to take Reef off the court? With the new players, the first play we'll get down will be the pick and roll with Sheed and JT. I loved Reef, but Hanno Mottolla ran the pick and roll better with JT than Reef did. We also lost alot of defense so now we'll have to try to score more. Overall I see lotsa reasons for a Sheed surge, least of which is some coaching miracle by Terry Stotts, although that would be nice to see..lol.

I think that Stotts' style is perimeter oriented, pretty much all of Karl's teams were focused on perimeter and transition game. I think Stotts has that style as well, and Reef didn't fit it as well as Sheed seemingly does. I don't think Reef can run the floor like Sheed even though Sheed is a couple years older..and we know that Sheed can shoot from the outside. I think Sheed will focus on the post now and you will see the player of a few years ago. I don't think he will come here to jack up 3s when we have no inside presence, he is playing for a contract after all , and there isn't a Zach Randolph hogging the low post here.

• Premium Member

Sheed will be in a contract year playing his position with NOBODY to share the offensive load with (there is Jackson but Jackson is a 2nd option). The fact that we have Nazr down low means that Sheed will be available to put up shots from outside and midrange. That's his game. I can see the 2 man game with Sheed and JT working pretty well.

The question is what happens after the audition?

We take him. Pay him. Put him beside another scorer (maybe QRich). Will he be able to carry this team??