• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could it all had been more than Basketball???

Diesel

• Premium Member

I watched a video called Coverstory (ESPN) on Trae Young. 

There in the story, Quavo talks about how he saw Trae at OU and he reached out to Hawks FO persons before the Draft and said You gotta get Trae. You gotta get Trae.  Later Quavo says something to the effect that the FO told him that his request was received and that he has a powerful voice.   Check it out, it's in there.   Along with the IceTrae Moniker. 

I can't say that I'm a migos fan.. because I know nothing about them.. but they are popular (so I hear)...

3. Migos

As one of Hip-Hop’s most dominant groups in recent memory, Quavo, Offset, and Takeoff have used their unique triplet flow to take over the mainstream hip-hop scene.

Catchy hooks, sharp ad-libs, and fast paced songs have all been part of the recipe for success for the Atlanta-based group. Their style has been influential for many artists that have surfaced in the recent years. Artist like Rich the Kid, DaBaby , and Smokepurpp may not be possible without the trio.

The structure of their albums, Culture I and Culture II have been used as a guide to further the sound of hip-hop.  

Could it be dismissed that Trae Young's drafting was more about creating a buzz among young hip-hop fans than it was about basketball?

Could it all have been more than Basketball?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No.  Don't ever let anything BSPN does or says influence your sports opinion(s).

You have to admit though... From a gathering fans perspective... it makes sense. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Winning sustains filled arenas, sir.  Not gimmicks.

Gimmicks have their place... unless you're guaranteeing the playoffs and you get a bunch of guys who don't care.

About winning.  We've been down that road before.  Didn't work.  

The biggest crash in the world had to be after we had the 60 win team.  Fans didn't support that team too much when they were winning and the year after they won 60, National TV spot with the Hawks were pitiful.   What Smart folks have found out is that markets like Atlanta and Miami doesn't really have a traditional culture.   For Atlanta, it always took gimmicks.   I bet you remember the Falcons under Jerry Glanville a lot better than you remember under Dan Quinn. 

Hawks 2014 attendance  76.6%

Hawks 2015 attendance   93.0%

Hawks 2016 attandance  89.9%

Hawks 2020 attendance 95.0%  - Before the playoffs.... Just Trae...

Hawks 2022 attendance  96.6%

back in 2020 we were 20-39... FAR FROM Winning... BUT.. We were filling up the Arena Better than any of the years surround our 60 win team.  I wonder why???   Before you go into some diatribe that it was not Trae... Back in 2017-2018, we were the worse draw in the league at 76.9%.

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

I watched a video called Coverstory (ESPN) on Trae Young. 

There in the story, Quavo talks about how he saw Trae at OU and he reached out to Hawks FO persons before the Draft and said You gotta get Trae. You gotta get Trae.  Later Quavo says something to the effect that the FO told him that his request was received and that he has a powerful voice.   Check it out, it's in there.   Along with the IceTrae Moniker. 

I can't say that I'm a migos fan.. because I know nothing about them.. but they are popular (so I hear)...

Could it be dismissed that Trae Young's drafting was more about creating a buzz among young hip-hop fans than it was about basketball?

Could it all have been more than Basketball?

Quavo did say we should get Trae and have our own Splash brothers. Can't remember who else was already on the team that made him say that (Korver?? Belinelli?? *insert here) 🤔 but I definitely remember that.

Good thing for us is Travis came fresh from the Warriors and already had that game plan in mind to pick the next "Stef" = Trae , "Klay" = Huerter, "Draymond" = Omari Spellman 😆 almost but he missed the most important part of Draymond's game (IQ/the mental's).

JC is actually an upgrade in my opinion and if he isn't Travis Draymond he has OO, JJ, CC and Gallo to recreate peak Draymond type production.

Travis loves to double/triple up.

He has atleast 2 more "Klays" Bogi(offense)/*cough TLC(defense) wish I could put Cam here.

Lou Will and Sharife  are very Trae like or atleast can be.

DeAndre is the Harrison Barnes/X factor type. Him and Cam together would've been "Durantish" but I can't really go there now.

All that to say it may be more than basketball 🏀 but it's definitely basketball 🏀 

Just now, sillent said:

Quavo did say we should get Trae and have our own Splash brothers. Can't remember who else was already on the team that made him say that (Korver?? Belinelli?? *insert here) 🤔 but I definitely remember that.

Good thing for us is Travis came fresh from the Warriors and already had that game plan in mind to pick the next "Stef" = Trae , "Klay" = Huerter, "Draymond" = Omari Spellman 😆 almost but he missed the most important part of Draymond's game (IQ/the mental's).

JC is actually an upgrade in my opinion and if he isn't Travis Draymond he has OO, JJ, CC and Gallo to recreate peak Draymond type production.

Travis loves to double/triple up.

He has atleast 2 more "Klays" Bogi(offense)/*cough TLC(defense) wish I could put Cam here.

Lou Will and Sharife  are very Trae like or atleast can be.

DeAndre is the Harrison Barnes/X factor type. Him and Cam together would've been "Durantish" but I can't really go there now.

All that to say it may be more than basketball 🏀 but it's definitely basketball 🏀 

Can't believe I forgot Iggy.

• Premium Member

Instead of GS...

I would say we have more similarities to the 2004 Suns.

Nash - Trae

Richardson - Bogi

Joe Cool - Hunter (he wish). 

Marion - (strange but...) Capela.  - This comparison falls down a little on scoring and Athleticism. (Marion was a 19.4/11.3) guy.

Amare - JC  IF we could only get Amare production from JC. 

Where this really falls down is the scoring of Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, and Stoudamire.   These guys were scorers.    JC reminds me of Amare in that he is Athletic and gets a lot of his points inside and on Breaks.  Unfortunately, we don't run breaks like they did.  And this is where the break down occurs.   Nash averaged about 11.5 apg.  but a lot of those points were on breaks.   The game is different.  Trae plays slightly differently from Nash.. and our offense doesn't break..

But I wonder.

Could Trae be a fast break PG?

22 hours ago, Diesel said:

Instead of GS...

I would say we have more similarities to the 2004 Suns.

Nash - Trae

Richardson - Bogi

Joe Cool - Hunter (he wish). 

Marion - (strange but...) Capela.  - This comparison falls down a little on scoring and Athleticism. (Marion was a 19.4/11.3) guy.

Amare - JC  IF we could only get Amare production from JC. 

Where this really falls down is the scoring of Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, and Stoudamire.   These guys were scorers.    JC reminds me of Amare in that he is Athletic and gets a lot of his points inside and on Breaks.  Unfortunately, we don't run breaks like they did.  And this is where the break down occurs.   Nash averaged about 11.5 apg.  but a lot of those points were on breaks.   The game is different.  Trae plays slightly differently from Nash.. and our offense doesn't break..

But I wonder.

Could Trae be a fast break PG?

Sounds good and definitely comparable except Bogi is closer to Iso Joe than J Rich. Hunter might ironically have a better career than Richardson. Marion is more like what JJ can become.

We can stretch a few teams possibly that could match but we all know where Travis came from. We know.... We know... Maybe just maybe he was trying to make the Warriors of the South and made the Suns. Whatever taste better I guess

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, sillent said:

Sounds good and definitely comparable except Bogi is closer to Iso Joe than J Rich. Hunter might ironically have a better career than Richardson. Marion is more like what JJ can become.

We can stretch a few teams possibly that could match but we all know where Travis came from. We know.... We know... Maybe just maybe he was trying to make the Warriors of the South and made the Suns. Whatever taste better I guess

I originally was on the bandwagon of GS... but Trae and Steph aside from the Hero ball is not alike.  Plus.. Draymond...  and No defender like Klay. 

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, QuantumHawkz said:

This has some truth to it....but it isn't the whole. Trae is a better fit for the city than Luka. 

I believe this is without a doubt true.  This is without thinking about the stats...I think Trae energizes the city and the city has already adopted Trae.  When you go to a game and see all the Kids who look up to him... and he gets the Hood Respect because of the way he represented in NY and Philly...   Yeah  Trae is Atlanta.  It will be sadder than watching Nique go to LA to see Trae leave Atlanta. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

This has some truth to it....but it isn't the whole. Trae is a better fit for the city than Luka. 

Agree.  A team must fit the profile of the city.  Hawks do.  Trae does.  Luka don't.

Another thing.  Expecting something exciting to happen at any game and fans wish to be present and see.  We all remember Trae in NY in the playoffs.  Think of all the things that happened.  The yells at him.  His motions of "chill out" to the NY fans, the "quiet" sign and finally, "the bow!"  Showmanship! 

We've watched young fans, wearing a Trae shirt, doing the chill and the bow.  They love him.

Atlanta is a city of many people coming here from other cities and being fans of their "home" team from the area of where they came from.  They go to Hawk home games to watch their team play the Hawks.  Youth have no such tie.  They become Hawks fans.  It is so important to grow this segment.  

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1