shakes

• Premium Member

@ Houston

Vs Miami

@ Philly

@ Orlando

Vs Denver

Vs OKC

With a big stretch of road games coming after this 6 game stretch, it’s imperative that we do well in these 6 game stretch of all winnable games.  We need to go 5-1 to give us a leg up in the race for home court advantage.   Going 4-2 will at least maintain the status quo.  Anything worse than that is a massively missed opportunity and puts a ton of pressure on us during that upcoming road trip.

The first and last game are absolute must win games.   Between the two home games vs Miami and Denver and the road games at banged up Philly and Orlando I think 3-1 is a very realistic hope, but 2-2 is livable provide they take care of biz in the other two games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shakes said:

@ Houston

Vs Miami

@ Philly

@ Orlando

Vs Denver

Vs OKC

With a big stretch of road games coming after this 6 game stretch, it’s imperative that we do well in these 6 game stretch of all winnable games.  We need to go 5-1 to give us a leg up in the race for home court advantage.   Going 4-2 will at least maintain the status quo.  Anything worse than that is a massively missed opportunity and puts a ton of pressure on us during that upcoming road trip.

The first and last game are absolute must win games.   Between the two home games vs Miami and Denver and the road games at banged up Philly and Orlando I think 3-1 is a very realistic hope, but 2-2 is livable provide they take care of biz in the other two games.

What record do you expect the Hawks to have for the first half of the season? All the remaining  games are just as important as any in getting home court advantage.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, marco102 said:

What record do you expect the Hawks to have for the first half of the season? All the remaining  games are just as important as any in getting home court advantage.

My powers only work one block of games at a time.  Can’t look that far into the future. 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

this team continues to show us exactly who they are.

They're a team that will fight to avoid the play in tournament and then go out in the first round to a team that tries harder.   Like I said weeks ago, #6 seed is this team's ceiling.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It's tough to argue based on what we've seen this far.  The talent is there but we are not better than the sum of our parts.  We're not even as good as the sum of our parts right now.

I'm not sure that the talent is even there TBH.    Who on this team is top 15 at their position besides Trae and DJM?

Hunter?  IF he is its at the very bottom of the 15

Collins:  Ditto above

Capela:  Ditto above

So we have two high level guards, one of which is severely defensively limited and the other one can't shoot.   Then we surround them with middle of the pack mediocre starting fowards and center.   As for the bench, Okongwu is not worth a #6 pick and might not even go top 10 in a 2020 redraft.   Bogi is a joke and a fraud.    Softest player in the NBA possibly.

JJ is a guy who had pretty much zero development last year thanks to Nate.

AJ looks good.

Seems to me like we are a mediocre middle of the pack team being led by two small guards who would rather win Napoleonic 1v1 battles than win actual basketball games.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, shakes said:

I'm not sure that the talent is even there TBH.    Who on this team is top 15 at their position besides Trae and DJM?

So we have two high level guards, one of which is severely defensively limited and the other one can't shoot.   Then we surround them with middle of the pack mediocre starting fowards and center.   As for the bench, Okongwu is not worth a #6 pick and might not even go top 10 in a 2020 redraft.   Bogi is a joke and a fraud.    Softest player in the NBA possibly.

AJ looks good.

Seems to me like we are a mediocre middle of the pack team being led by two small guards who would rather win Napoleonic 1v1 battles than win actual basketball games.

Capela is easily top 10 at center, imo.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I don't know.  I actually think our problem is the same as it was last year.  Our wings aren't performing that well.  But at least with DJM we have a chance.  He has the talent that Kev didn't have but he needs to find his footing with this team because he's playing too careless and not getting others involved well.  

Hunter is my current annoyance.  His D is great but his offensive game is just limited.  Bad passer, average ball handler, and not a clutch bucket getter (at least this year).  All this is ok but he needs to play to his strengths.

I'd make the case that Trae, JC, OO, Capela, Holidays and Bogi are all doing what they do.  Trae's shooting being off of course.   

So if DJ,AJ,Hunter, and hopefully Bogi (or worse case Justin) can become a solid wing rotation then the rest will fall in place.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, shakes said:

AJ looks good.

I think Trae and DJ and Capela are all easily top 15 at their position.  I think Trae is a top 5 PG.  Murray is a top 5 combo guard.  Capela right now has top 5 impact on the floor but he hasn't been as consistent.  Dre is not top 15 right now but he's playing good defense and has the tools to get there on offense.  He heeds better guidance on that end imo.  JC is easily top 15 as well skill-wise, but is severely misused by the Hawks right now.  Our bench is weak though, one of the worst in the league with Bogi out and the Heurter/Gallo replaced by the Holiday brothers.  OO is a good bench piece as are JJ and AJ long term, but both of those guys need time and reps.

• Like 4