NOT too early 2023 NBA Draft thread

sturt

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, sturt said:

(For the record, I was in the same train car last draft, but had I thought there was a realistic chance for AJ to fall to us, I wasn't going to be disappointed either way.)

Answering your question, three points leap to mind that are missing in the equation.

First, that 2023 is and has been widely considered one of the deeper drafts of the last 10 years, so value at 2023 #15 is something many if not most if not almost all is substantially greater than 2022 #15 on its face.

Add to that the apparent interest of some writers in the Rockets orbit (see what I did there) to add a legitimate, tall, mobile, defense-first center to the roster who can play with either Jabari Smith or Alperen Sengun in the low post... and Lively is about as highly-regarded a center in those ways as ever enters an NBA draft. (At present most mocks seem to have Lively going in the #20 range, so if you really really want the kid, a #15 slot makes sense.)

And finally, add to both those that Eason is not a starter and doesn't project to be one, and those same writers are looking for the Rockets to add a couple of big-dollar vets this off-season... which, if true, will naturally get inserted into the rotation, making minutes for players where the team already has some depth scarcer. That matters to this conversation to the degree it is less likely that one of those big-dollar vets would be a 7-1 defense-first center. (Some believe they will use their higher draft pick, assuming it's not #1, to trade for one of those big-dollar vets... but of course that's an open question.)

I'll add a fourth "bonus" point... even if one were to consider last year's #15 equivalent talent-wise to this year's, there's some overall common sense to re-set the rookie scale contract clock, and particularly if you're able to better set-up your roster so that the newer player will get as many or more minutes anyhow.

Now, it is true that the trade I propose is likely to get some chuckles, and indeed, a straight up #15 for Eason only would be more reasonable--but I'd not want to make that my starting proposal. Think an actual trade satisfying both sides would be more like Hawks #15 and something in exchange for Eason and something.

a lot of writing to just capsulate all the things that you pulled out of your rear end.

This draft is not deeper than last year's draft.  Not by a long shot.  And even if it was, no one is trading a guy who should've been a lottery pick last year just to move up from 19 to 15.   It's beyond ludicrous and purely asinine.    

But I do give you props for being the leader in the clubhouse for most ridiculous homerish one sided trade proposal of the month.

We’d have to trade up, but I’m big fan of Taylor Hendricks. His ceiling could be the best of Jarred Vanderbilt / Jaden McDaniels with better offense. 

If Sensabaugh shows up to the combine down 10-15lb and shows well athletically… he intrigues me. But if he is still 235+ that tells me all I need to know about him, and I’d pass. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, shakes said:

This draft is not deeper than last year's draft.  Not by a long shot.

Read more, go the hyper-critical route less.

Helps encourage people to give your opinion some regard... assuming of course you'd like that. 😉

To the contrary, the 2023 draft has been anticipated for at least two years. Round here, it was reported last off-season that the DJM trade got hung up b/c Schlenk was adamant to not let go of his 2023 FRP.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/12/2/22810350/nba-draft-2023-mock-scoot-henderson-victor-wembanyama-emoni-bates

https://nbadraftroom.com/state-of-the-2023-nba-draft-an-early-look-at-the-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-the-2023-draft-class/

7 minutes ago, shakes said:

And even if it was, no one is trading a guy who should've been a lottery pick last year just to move up from 19 to 15.

Was not considered a lottery pick at the time.

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-consensus-mock-draft

Borderline even now.

https://nbadraftroom.com/end-of-rookie-season-redraft-of-the-2022-draft-class/

Seems I've happened on a pet cat of yours, and you're prepared to speak of him as-if some especially important asset in the context of HOU's situation. But he's just not.

When a person doesn't read, that's their right as an American citizen. But the unintended consequence of that is that that person ends up seeming silly when they try to argue points that have already been soundly addressed:

7 hours ago, sturt said:

And finally, add to both those that Eason is not a starter and doesn't project to be one, and those same writers are looking for the Rockets to add a couple of big-dollar vets this off-season... which, if true, will naturally get inserted into the rotation, making minutes for players where the team already has some depth scarcer. That matters to this conversation to the degree it is less likely that one of those big-dollar vets would be a 7-1 defense-first center. (Some believe they will use their higher draft pick, assuming it's not #1, to trade for one of those big-dollar vets... but of course that's an open question.)

18 minutes ago, shakes said:

But I do give you props for being the leader in the clubhouse for most ridiculous homerish one sided trade proposal of the month.

Some observations.

1. Love the self-anointed posturing as-if anyone cares who you've anointed whatever you've anointed them.

Again... since you do appear to care for people to give your opinions some regard, bother yourself enough to actually engage in an informed way.

Yes. That requires (a) reading and (b) responding to the actual specific assertions made. In this case, there was a specific assertion made that the trade proposal was admittedly and purposely tilted toward ATL's interests, with the anticipation that a final agreement would end up accordingly...................

8 hours ago, sturt said:

Think an actual trade satisfying both sides would be more like Hawks #15 and something in exchange for Eason and something.

2. It's one thing to post asshattery when someone's been aggressive toward you... it's another thing to post asshattery for no apparent reason except just simple habit. I didn't come at you. You asked. I answered. It's your own thing that you feel you have to go the abrasive defensive route in response. Just sayin.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Taylor Hendricks

Dunno. I'm seeing Hendricks show up in the range of #15 with some routine. Again, so much still has to shake out--draft lottery and team workouts--but for now, that would seem a plausible outcome.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Read more, go the hyper-critical route less.

Helps encourage people to give your opinion some regard... assuming of course you'd like that. 😉

To the contrary, the 2023 draft has been anticipated for at least two years. Round here, it was reported last off-season that the DJM trade got hung up b/c Schlenk was adamant to not let go of his 2023 FRP.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/12/2/22810350/nba-draft-2023-mock-scoot-henderson-victor-wembanyama-emoni-bates

https://nbadraftroom.com/state-of-the-2023-nba-draft-an-early-look-at-the-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-the-2023-draft-class/

Was not considered a lottery pick at the time.

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-consensus-mock-draft

Borderline even now.

https://nbadraftroom.com/end-of-rookie-season-redraft-of-the-2022-draft-class/

Seems I've happened on a pet cat of yours, and you're prepared to speak of him as-if some especially important asset in the context of HOU's situation. But he's just not.

When a person doesn't read, that's their right as an American citizen. But the unintended consequence of that is that that person ends up seeming silly when they try to argue points that have already been soundly addressed:

Some observations.

1. Love the self-anointed posturing as-if anyone cares who you've anointed whatever you've anointed them.

Again... since you do appear to care for people to give your opinions some regard, bother yourself enough to actually engage in an informed way.

Yes. That requires (a) reading and (b) responding to the actual specific assertions made. In this case, there was a specific assertion made that the trade proposal was admittedly and purposely tilted toward ATL's interests, with the anticipation that a final agreement would end up accordingly...................

2. It's one thing to post asshattery when someone's been aggressive toward you... it's another thing to post asshattery for no apparent reason except just simple habit. I didn't come at you. You asked. I answered. It's your own thing that you feel you have to go the abrasive defensive route in response. Just sayin.

what can I say, I have a style.

• Premium Member
Just now, shakes said:

a style

Uninformed asshattery is, indeed, a style. Unfortunately for people who want others to care about their opinions, it doesn't work out well. But in the contest between the priorities, it's not a surprise that "style" wins for you.

Again. Free country. Enjoy.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have pick #46 - who should we pick besides the usual Cash Considerations?

There are now 3 2Way slots with new CBA.

It's a legitimate question, but the timing is off.... like, I don't even take the question seriously until draft night, and even then, not until the first 30 players are off the board.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have pick #46 - who should we pick besides the usual Cash Considerations?

depends, would you like a plate of dog poo or a bowl of dog poo?

wont let me quote anyone but please for the love of everything stop making Onyeka a 4 because you think he is undersized. Hes got a long wingspan and hes got great motor. He is the 5 of the future. He is not a four. stop suggesting this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

wont let me quote anyone but please for the love of everything stop making Onyeka a 4 because you think he is undersized. Hes got a long wingspan and hes got great motor. He is the 5 of the future. He is not a four. stop suggesting this

I assume you are using the right skin but if not look at the pinned "technical issues" (or whatever the exact title is) thread for info on that.  The "good" site skin got corrupted with an update and cap is in progress of making a new one.  But one consequence of using the corrupted skin is not being able to quote.

• Like 1

Nice article on ESPN about new requirements to attend the Combine or not being eligible for the draft.  And new options for those electing to go to the G League or Ignite teams and not automatically having to be eligible for the next draft (if they don't think they're ready yet).  All sounded good to me.  
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36224467/nba-nbpa-memo-outlines-new-nba-draft-selection-requirements

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Nice article on ESPN about new requirements to attend the Combine or not being eligible for the draft.  And new options for those electing to go to the G League or Ignite teams and not automatically having to be eligible for the next draft (if they don't think they're ready yet).  All sounded good to me.  
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36224467/nba-nbpa-memo-outlines-new-nba-draft-selection-requirements

I'm liking this.  It gives teams more info on the draftees. It starts in 2024.

• Like 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Definitely a fan of that.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

please for the love of everything stop making Onyeka a 4

Present tense, no. But he's too young and too athletic in general to eliminate the possibility, future tense. I've not really been warm to the idea, but I'd love to hear Quin's thoughts on the potential. Maybe we'll get insight after the exit interviews occur in June.

(Yes, ever the optimist, and proud of it. 😄 )