• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

On Topic.... Question of the Day 6-23

Diesel

How do you grade the Hawks draft 2023?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

NC:  No clue.    Not going to judge a guy I never saw play.   I will say it is a bit disconcerting that Michigan had 2 player go in the top 15 yet couldn't make the NCAA tournament.    

Too soon to know. 

A lot depends on what else happens between now and the tip off of the season.

Will all three draft picks, as some have guessed, go directly to the Skyhawks for the entire season?

Many present Hawks were mentioned as being moved before the season.  Who will go?  Who will stay?  If we do trades, who do we trade for?

So many questions and, to date, no answers.

🧑‍🔧

As far as how i typically grade them, B+ 

Kobe was BPA considering Whitmore medicals

Gueye pick gets an A for effort

Lundy is a legit shooter and can move and those players have a lot of value in today's NBA. He also has bulk for a 2.

• Moderators

Again, speaking from a position of ignorance but I am coming around to Bufkin being a solid pick given what was on the board even if I'm not optimistic that he will end up being a star.  Definitely will be rooting for him to blow up for us.

Our second rounders don't matter nearly as much to me given the failure rate but both guys seem like conceptually solid bets.  Plenty of good niche shooters who have come from the second round.  Depends on how his shot translates to the NBA.  Nobody has let me down as much in that regard as Salim Stoudamire.  Also like a developmental big man with good tools - lots of them who have greatly exceeded their draft position from that kind of profile.  (DeAndre Jordan, Mitchell Robinson, Omer Asik, Marcin Gortat, Anderson Varajao, Hassan Whiteside, etc.)  Would love to see one hit but all second rounders are low probability gambles so my expectations are that any second rounder will give us nothing and anyone who turns into a real contributor is found money.  The fact that we traded up for our big man ticks up my expectations only slightly.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Our second rounders don't matter nearly as much to me given the failure rate but both guys seem like conceptually solid bets.  Plenty of good niche shooters who have come from the second round.  Depends on how his shot translates to the NBA.  Nobody has let me down as much in that regard as Salim Stoudamire.  Also like a developmental big man with good tools - lots of them who have greatly exceeded their draft position from that kind of profile.  (DeAndre Jordan, Mitchell Robinson, Omer Asik, Marcin Gortat, Anderson Varajao, Hassan Whiteside, etc.)  Would love to see one hit but all second rounders are low probability gambles so my expectations are that any second rounder will give us nothing and anyone who turns into a real contributor is found money.  The fact that we traded up for our big man ticks up my expectations only slightly.

I'm hoping under Quin's developmental staff and the GLeague we see real development of these 2nd rounders. Having 3 2-way contracts now available hopefully keeps guys in the 'program' longer. Would like for one of these diamonds in the rough to exceed expectations and surprise us.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm hoping under Quin's developmental staff and the GLeague we see real development of these 2nd rounders. Having 3 2-way contracts now available hopefully keeps guys in the 'program' longer. Would like for one of these diamonds in the rough to exceed expectations and surprise us.

A lot of teams have gotten a ton of value from their second rounders so that would be great for sure.  It was the only area of the draft where TS was a complete miss.  (His mid-first-round success was remarkable, imo).  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I will say what makes me happiest is that it seems like our FO got their man.  It may be fake, it may be just for show, however, it looked like we got exactly who we wanted out of the draft.   

My personal wants for the Hawks going into the draft was to get a BU PG and a Big.   Therefore, I'm very excited to see what we do with what we have. 

I still have a lot of believe that we are loaded with great potential guys...  AJ, OO, Bey, JJ, Mathews, and even Martin, Vit, and Forrest are guys with a lot of potential who have been putting forth a lot of good things on the court whether in Atlanta or College Park.   A lot of our young guys are ready to take on more of the load.   So we shall see. 

• Like 2