• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Top 24 point guards for 2023-24

Spud2nique

• Premium Member

very fair ranking, they could've easily rode the trend and ranked him below Fox and Hali and maybe even Brunson if they were looking for mroe NYC clicks.

let's not forget that Trae did have a terrible regular season last year and regressed statistically for the first time in his career.

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

But he dunks!

I was at roundtable last night hitting the salad bar hard 🥗 and enjoying a small pepperoni 🍕 pie and all the kept showing was Ja dunking over and over. I mean, it’s impressive but it’s more AND 1 style ball.

I’m a Trae guy and not because he’s a Hawk. If Trae was a Grizzly and Ja was a member of the Hawks I’d still prefer Trae. He just makes better passes, decisions, etc.

Anyways, long story short, I watched so many Ja dunks i felt sick 🤢 after. Pretty sure it was the highlights and not the half pound of beets I ate 😂 

Can you picture a bloody (beets) 👄 Spud staring at Ja highlights in disgust at roundtable? 😂 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

I was at roundtable last night hitting the salad bar hard 🥗 and enjoying a small pepperoni 🍕 pie and all the kept showing was Ja dunking over and over. I mean, it’s impressive but it’s more AND 1 style ball.

I’m a Trae guy and not because he’s a Hawk. If Trae was a Grizzly and Ja was a member of the Hawks I’d still prefer Trae. He just makes better passes, decisions, etc.

Anyways, long story short, I watched so many Ja dunks i felt sick 🤢 after. Pretty sure it was the highlights and not the half pound of beets I ate 😂 

Can you picture a bloody (beets) 👄 Spud staring at Ja highlights in disgust at roundtable? 😂 

My question is who was the last guy Ja's size who was a high flying above the rim player scoring mostly in the paint who continued to be effective for a long time in the NBA?   There may be some but i can't think of them.  

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

My question is who was the last guy Ja's size who was a high flying above the rim player scoring mostly in the paint who continued to be effective for a long time in the NBA?   There may be some but i can't think of them.  

Nobody. He’s the freakiest. There was Iverson but he was a generous 6 feet and he couldn’t get anywhere close as Ja but his way impressive at 5’11.

Westbrook, he’s like 6’3” is the other one that comes to mind.

Stevie Franchise, also 6’3” I believe, high flying point guard with dunking prowess.

Starbury… a bit too.

Hook Mitchell… never made the league. 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Nobody. He’s the freakiest. There was Iverson but he was a generous 6 feet and he couldn’t get anywhere close as Ja but his way impressive at 5’11.

Stevie Franchise, also 6’3” I believe, high flying point guard with dunking prowess.

Starbury… a bit too.

D ROOOOOSSSEEE 🌹 🤦‍♀️ how could I forget.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

D ROOOOOSSSEEE 🌹🤦‍♀️ how could I forget.

All great examples of guys who by the time they were 30 were out of the league, ineffective, or unwanted.  Not including AI of course but i don't think he's a good comp to Ja. 

Not saying that's Ja's case necessarily but he's going to have to add more wrinkles to his game imo.  Or maybe the softness of the current NBA will make a difference i don't know.  I just don't think we're having the conversation that he's a top 3 PG in the NBA in 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 7/30/2023 at 7:44 PM, benhillboy said:

It’s amazing the NBA media and masses have been labeling Steph a PG his whole career.  One of the hundreds of reasons I don’t take them seriously.  I wished he would come out and unequivocally call himself a 2 like AI did.

You think Trae is a PG tho?  He always takes a bulk of shots and has never served as the arrow point of a defense.  

Trae is a PG by virtue that he is the initiator of the offense.   Yes, he scores too which makes him a unicorn... seriously, only Harden and Robertson fits in the category with Trae.   Like I said before, Steph is the endpoint of the offense.  IN fact, the whole offense is centered around getting Steph a good shot as it's primary goal.   Sorta like Indiana with Reggie Miller back in the day.   I don't call Steph a PG for that reason.  I call him an OG.  Like an Iverson.  People don't understand the rarity of having your PG give you 27/10 or to lead the league in points scored and assists made. 

The fact that he scores the way he does doesn't take away from him being a PG at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Derrick Rose - Wikipedia  Thunder were already preparing to trade Russell Westbrook next summer prior  to Paul George deal, report says - CBSSports.com  

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Starbury… a bit too.

Didn't see your list and forgot about Steve Francis.

But what about...

Former NBA star Damon Stoudamire to be named Pacific head coach Suns Throwback: Kevin Johnson's Un-retirement | NBA.com

Nate Robinson proves he can have a big-time game  On this date, 2008: Baron Davis leaves Warriors to join Clippers

BAL Report on Twitter: "Former @nuggets player Robert Pack will be the head  coach of Rwanda's @regbbcofficial in the upcoming BAL season (per  @MarcJSpears) https://t.co/QFljaOHUUp" / Twitter    Dee Brown Says He Still Has the Best Slam Dunk Contest Sneaker | Complex

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Didn't see your list and forgot about Steve Francis.

But what about...

Former NBA star Damon Stoudamire to be named Pacific head coach Suns Throwback: Kevin Johnson's Un-retirement | NBA.com

Nate Robinson proves he can have a big-time game  On this date, 2008: Baron Davis leaves Warriors to join Clippers

BAL Report on Twitter: "Former @nuggets player Robert Pack will be the head  coach of Rwanda's @regbbcofficial in the upcoming BAL season (per  @MarcJSpears) https://t.co/QFljaOHUUp" / Twitter    Dee Brown Says He Still Has the Best Slam Dunk Contest Sneaker | Complex

KJ over Hakeem was sick I’ll never forget that. Also, Pack dunking in the entire 94 Sonics team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Diesel said:

Derrick Rose - Wikipedia  Thunder were already preparing to trade Russell Westbrook next summer prior  to Paul George deal, report says - CBSSports.com  

you missed the "continued to be effective for a long time" part when it comes to DRose.    His knee injuries were such a devastating blow to the entire game of basketball.   Personally, DRose got me out of the basketball boycott I was in since early 2000s, but then his knee injuries put me right back into boycott mode till 2016.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

you missed the "continued to be effective for a long time" part when it comes to DRose.    His knee injuries were such a devastating blow to the entire game of basketball.   Personally, DRose got me out of the basketball boycott I was in since early 2000s, but then his knee injuries put me right back into boycott mode till 2016.

The problem is that that style of play doesn't bode well for Longjevity.   DRose, Baron Davis, Etc.   Ja has only completed his third season. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

The problem is that that style of play doesn't bode well for Longjevity.   DRose, Baron Davis, Etc.   Ja has only completed his third season. 

yea, I think that's the point of the question.   Hard to find any above the rim PGs who last.     

Only crazy thing is we all assumed high flying injuries would take Ja out, not off the court douchebaggery.  

• Like 1