• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whatever happened to good reporting???

Diesel

• Premium Member

image.png

So, checking the timeline, I ran across this article with this trade. 

I'm a big fan of getting Paul George and I realize we got to give up something for him.   But I don't know if I'm this far in.  

But that's not what got me.  It was this...

De’Andre Hunter Hawks’ version of a young Paul George

Whatever happened to good reporting?  I like Hunter but young Paul George was a monster.  When he wasn't sleeping with his teammate's wives, he was killing people on the court.   He even was looking to give Lebron the business until he got injured.  Who wrote this.  But we have to sell this product.  And the press can only help Hunter's value which according to the latest rankings is tanking. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Journalism is ded.

Outlets like BSPN, and their incessant need to pretend to be providing new content 25 hours a day, killt it.

I think BSPN was the start of the killing of journalism.  But I believe the finishing blow was Social Media and Social Media will kill BSPN.  Look around, now you have former players with Podcast and they can say exactly what they feel.   I love listening to Gilbert Arenas' podcast.  His take is real and not manufactured. 

I think the agenda based Video Journalism that we see on BSPN and Fox is going away. 

I also think power has been given to the little guy on Social media.   For instance, Shams was not really a Journalist.  He was just a guy who worked hard and developed a following.   It sucks for guys like Stephen A.. guys who built their career from Journalistic principles.   BUT...  he has to see the slow train coming.  New media is taking over and he has to decide if he's going to ride with New media or if he will try to stand with the old guard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wasn’t he brought on by Woj? 

That's a good question.  I don't know who exactly brought him in but once he got in people started saying he was Woj's replacement.  Something that really propelled him (strangely enough) was reporting that Pres. Trump had COVID before anybody else.  Not even sports related. 

But I was reading his origin story and he was at Loyal Mouramount but he would do his social media stuff and he got many followers.  He was the Milwaukee Bucks guy...  but he would try to get rumors out of people.   Things were going well until he was banned from the Bulls facilities (because of his age).   I have not followed Shams close enough to know if his spots on Milwaukee are always spot on or if he reports the Bulls with disdain.     I just thought it was interesting that he got picked up and wasn't a Journalist or had a Journalism degree. 

Then there's Pat McAfee??

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think BSPN was the start of the killing of journalism.  But I believe the finishing blow was Social Media and Social Media will kill BSPN.  Look around, now you have former players with Podcast and they can say exactly what they feel.   I love listening to Gilbert Arenas' podcast.  His take is real and not manufactured. 

I think the agenda based Video Journalism that we see on BSPN and Fox is going away. 

I also think power has been given to the little guy on Social media.   For instance, Shams was not really a Journalist.  He was just a guy who worked hard and developed a following.   It sucks for guys like Stephen A.. guys who built their career from Journalistic principles.   BUT...  he has to see the slow train coming.  New media is taking over and he has to decide if he's going to ride with New media or if he will try to stand with the old guard. 

Agreed.  But, to me, journalistic principles kept things in the road..  so to speak.  Social media bad so far outweighs the good, it's not even worth it.  It's one instance where barriers to entry are necessary. 

24 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wtf, I only been operating on 24, imagine how much more I could get done ✔️!!!

Sorry, posting from 2024.  It's what we do now. 

23 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wasn’t he brought on by Woj? 

I don't think he ever worked directly with Woj but I do think they both worked for yahoo at one point.  I recall Shams coming on nbaradio for the 1st time, before he got big.  They introduced him as an up and coming guy who was either in college or was fresh out of college or stte.  He was so endearing and generous with his time.  I remember thinking he was so much more palatable than Woj.  Then it all changed.  He got big, got the big head, and is now insufferable ego-driven. A really sad progression. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agreed.  But, to me, journalistic principles kept things in the road..  so to speak.  Social media bad so far outweighs the good, it's not even worth it.  It's one instance where barriers to entry are necessary. 

53 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I totally agree with this.   Right now, it's a funny dynamic.  BSPN, lacking real Journalist, are taking their cues from social media in order to keep up with that 25 hour cycle.  Nobody is trying to get it right anymore.   They just want to get it out.   That's why you have guys lurking around here begging for our "insiders" to feed them their next scoop.  If only they knew that the outsiders had all the gravy!   And last week @Spud2nique made it clear to me that I'm outside of the outsiders.... So I fall into that special class of  Beyonder.   And as a Beyonder, my powers of interpretation are far greater than any you've ever seen...  That's how I was able to look in the face of Marvin Williams on draft night and knew that he would never be shit. 

Anyway...

Social Media Reporter have no journalistic integrity so they will publish whatever and that will be the norm so you need people who will be able to see through the BS. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

They introduced him as an up and coming guy who was either in college or was fresh out of college or stte. 

I think he was still in HS when started covering the Bulls for his HS paper.  Before I said Loyal Maramount...  that's a habit.

Loyola University.   I think he got on with RealGM.... first.  As a HSer. 

Kinda sad because some of us can remember when RealGM didn't exist. 

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

And last week @Spud2nique made it clear to me that I'm outside of the outsiders...

I did not. In fact I clearly remember making a comment when you, cagey, Bird  and I were in the hallway…

I said, “hey look 👀 it’s just us, the A team!” And you even laughed!

No buddy, you are an outsider, the squawk authorities have always seen you as an outsider, embrace it. Now, wrap those linebacker meat hooks 🪝 (ala Desmond Bane) and … pull me into the huddle!

@Diesel you are one of us..

image.gif.604a1fbcdf45c9199572a4b8d41308f4.gif

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Beyonder

SOMEONE SAY BEYONCÉ? -AJ Griff 🤨 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, BangHolman said:

Whatever happened to predictability? The milkman? The paperboy? Evening TV?

That sounds like a song… or the beginning to a sitcom.. perfect strangers? 🤔 

The milkman the paperboy and even tv 📺 🎶.. 🤨 no? 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

That sounds like a song… or the beginning to a sitcom.. perfect strangers? 🤔 

The milkman the paperboy and even tv 📺🎶.. 🤨 no? 

Wasn't it Step by step, perfect strangers, full house and family matters?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kg01 said:

Journalism is ded.

Outlets like BSPN, and their incessant need to pretend to be providing new content 25 hours a day, killt it.

100%. Good reporting takes time, connections, responsibility, and should provide unbiased facts. BSPN/journalism doesn’t have time to provide good reporting and there are minimal/no consequences when providing inaccurate content/hot takes. If it sticks, then they’re the first and have credibility. If it doesn’t stick, then they’ll bury it, but continue to cherry pick content to support their takes.

BSPN/journalism “NeWs” compete with social media (immediate gratification), so they overrule good reporting and choose the profitability model of using talking heads/diarrhea content. Seem like such a shame living in a world with unlimited connectivity/information in our pockets and yet not having the luxury of knowing if anything is true.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

The ultimate consequence is that they create an echo chamber of wrong. 

Because all many of them do is just rereport what somebody else has reported. 

For instance if one of our insiders came back and said that we have an agreement in principle with Toronto that can not  be released until Sept 3 when Mills contract is tradable... by tomorrow afternoon, the internet will be filled with  Hawks trade Hunter, Griffin, Mills, and a First for Siakam.  Next thing you know Woj may be saying it on NBA Today. 

Somebody has to feed the echo chamber. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Diesel said:

It sucks for guys like Stephen A.. guys who built their career from Journalistic principles.   

Really good post D but I have a big gripe to pick with this part.  You picked a very wrong bad here to carry the flag for real journalists.  ESPN getting rid of a real journalist in David Aldridge for an attention seeking shallow replacement in SAS was a big step in the death of real journalism in the NBA.  SAS had maybe 1/4 as much to say but said it way louder and in a click bait style.  Man I hated seeing that and all that followed with the jettisoning of the Sports Reporters for garbage “watch SAS and Skip Baylee yell at each other Kardashian style” content and it just continued until I fully tuned out which is crazy given how much ESPN I used to watch.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AHF said:

You picked a very wrong bad here to carry the flag for real journalists.  

I disagree.   I can remember back before Stephen A teamed up with Skip the drip.   Back in that day, you had to be a journalist.  Back when all these Journalist were forced to develop personality.   Back when Stu Scott told you about something "as cool as the other side of the pillow".  Back when the icon was Bryant Gumbel.   Back when these guys goal was to be on the Sports Reporters.  During that time, SAS had some personality but it was not turned up to the level that we see now.  He was more humble, he was not the loudmouth he has become.    It wasn't until SAS and SB developed that point/counterpoint show that the loudness came about.   

Stephen A was fired by BSPN before.   What you see now is a caricature of himself that he has used to ADAPT to the environment that is now BSPN.  The thing I respect about even this SAS is that he tries to check his sources.   And there are plenty of other guys  who have become statheads and have mangled their persona with the argumentative delivery.   When I see them , I realize that they are just trying to adapt to hold on.    Immediately, Chris Broussard comes to mind.   When you have endeared yourself to that direction, you have to go with it.   It's like they watched the Sports reporter and said, "let's all be Lupica X 100". 

So SAS is a real journalist.   So was Broussard.   So was Wilborn and Cowherd and Hill and Michael Smith  Even Skip Bayless.   It's just that they have married themselves to this dispensation of what brings in viewership.   But that's changing. 

• Moderators
On 8/12/2023 at 11:52 PM, Diesel said:

I disagree.   I can remember back before Stephen A teamed up with Skip the drip.   Back in that day, you had to be a journalist.  Back when all these Journalist were forced to develop personality.   Back when Stu Scott told you about something "as cool as the other side of the pillow".  Back when the icon was Bryant Gumbel.   Back when these guys goal was to be on the Sports Reporters.  During that time, SAS had some personality but it was not turned up to the level that we see now.  He was more humble, he was not the loudmouth he has become.    It wasn't until SAS and SB developed that point/counterpoint show that the loudness came about.   

Stephen A was fired by BSPN before.   What you see now is a caricature of himself that he has used to ADAPT to the environment that is now BSPN.  The thing I respect about even this SAS is that he tries to check his sources.   And there are plenty of other guys  who have become statheads and have mangled their persona with the argumentative delivery.   When I see them , I realize that they are just trying to adapt to hold on.    Immediately, Chris Broussard comes to mind.   When you have endeared yourself to that direction, you have to go with it.   It's like they watched the Sports reporter and said, "let's all be Lupica X 100". 

So SAS is a real journalist.   So was Broussard.   So was Wilborn and Cowherd and Hill and Michael Smith  Even Skip Bayless.   It's just that they have married themselves to this dispensation of what brings in viewership.   But that's changing. 

Agree to disagree.  SAS came to drive personality over content.  Things have continued in that direction but SAS in place of David Aldridge was a big step in the wrong direction away from actual content and journalism.  Maybe you and I are just looking at different break points on that.  I saw the big philosophical shift taking place back in the early 2000's and the stuff going on in more recent years as being the natural outcome of that.  To me, the embrace of Skip Bayless and SAS was all about form over substance and we see the bad fruit that emerges from the rotten tree that is the idea of driving clicks through clickbait content.  (Frankly, Skip is worse to me than SAS but both are part of that trend.)

• Thanks 1