• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Agreed that Edey will get torched defensively on the pick and roll.  That will be his biggest weakness.  But offensively he is a mismatch and would tremendously help us.  

The question is will his offense be good enough to cover up for his defensive issues?  That's a tough one and I don't know.  But in the mid to late first I would draft him all day long.  That's a risk worth taking.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AtLaS said:

Agreed that Edey will get torched defensively on the pick and roll.  That will be his biggest weakness.  But offensively he is a mismatch and would tremendously help us.  

The question is will his offense be good enough to cover up for his defensive issues?  That's a tough one and I don't know.  But in the mid to late first I would draft him all day long.  That's a risk worth taking.  

So, are you willing to change the offense to a slower paced post up style offense to cater to his offensive strengths?  Because I don't see where he's bringing elite offensive value in anything other than being able to post up.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, are you willing to change the offense to a slower paced post up style offense to cater to his offensive strengths?  Because I don't see where he's bringing elite offensive value in anything other than being able to post up.  

I want to cater to the players strengths and I want an efficient offense, period.  I could give a damn what our pace is.  Pace is not a determining factor in offensive efficiency at all.  

Some of the best teams in the league are some of the slowest paced.  You play to your personnel. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's next level at screening, 1v1 offense, finishing in the paint, offensive rebounding, boxing out. He's not just elite at it, he's miles better than anyone in the NBA right now at it. We praising Clingan for only giving up 28 when it mattered while his team completely gassed Edey. Come on man, let's acknowledge that Edey is special at what he's special at. He would do wonders for Trae, Murray, Hunter, and JJ. Especially Trae. 

Dude put up 37 and 10 on one of the best defensive centers prospect in the last 20 years. Clingan metrics are off the charts on D. He made Lively and Filip his personal bitch. No one can guard him 1v1.

The only thing really holding me back on Edey is the fact that you like him.  🙂

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, NBASupes said:

That's 28 points before the game was out of reach against a center who only allowed 4 post up baskets all year in Clingan. The entire time, it was he sucks, he can't do it against guys who won't be selling insurance. Now it's, he can score and screen but is he really that good. Man, he's elite at screening. Hell yeah! I counted a potential 13 screen assists he could have had yesterday. That's double of what Sabonis is doing. Man, he's very impactful offensively right now

I've long said hes a good screener and I said the purdue guards didn't help him at all with their play around his screens in that game. Thats gonna be his calling card in the NBA. 

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

His offensive value is derived mostly from post up possessions.  Those post up opportunities are going to go from 17-18 a game that he’s getting now to around 3-4 a game in the NBA.  That will be even less with the Hawks, who just do not post up their bigs.  

Sure.  He’s a great screen setter, but his value after setting the screen is limited because he’s so slow when he rolls to the basket and he can’t score on the move.  He has to stop, gather himself, and then go through all his slow moves while getting away with elbowing the defender in the face.  NBA teams aren’t going to roll him just to post him up like Purdue did.  

It really is this simple. He is not going to have nearly as many post up opportunities in the NBA to that he has in college. Shit he won't even have half as many. With the sheer volume of 3pt shooting other teams have and percentages nobody is giving him those post ups and if a team does they are going to lose via the 3 point game 99% of the time.

Key for Edey will be developing that mid range push shot/floater. Good screen setter but he's gonna have to work hard off these rolls. He has good touch tho so this shot should develop. Defensively though he won't ever be good at anything but drop and he needs to be much better challenging shots (some of this is likely he needed to stay on the court in college and played every minute so he didn't try to get in foul trouble). When you look at his positives and weigh his negatives that sounds exactly like... a backup big in the NBA. Which for pick 18-30 is solid value IMO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It really is this simple. He is not going to have nearly as many post up opportunities in the NBA to that he has in college. Shit he won't even have half as many. With the sheer volume of 3pt shooting other teams have and percentages nobody is giving him those post ups and if a team does they are going to lose via the 3 point game 99% of the time.

Key for Edey will be developing that mid range push shot/floater. Good screen setter but he's gonna have to work hard off these rolls. He has good touch tho so this shot should develop. Defensively though he won't ever be good at anything but drop and he needs to be much better challenging shots (some of this is likely he needed to stay on the court in college and played every minute so he didn't try to get in foul trouble). When you look at his positives and weigh his negatives that sounds exactly like... a backup big in the NBA. Which for pick 18-30 is solid value IMO

I doubt he ever develops a short roll game.  I don't see him getting that shot up quick enough.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

The bigger question to me will be the volume of touches he'll get. 

24 minutes ago, txsting said:

The only thing really holding me back on Edey is the fact that you like him.  🙂

Lol. You do know that entire post was hyperbole, right. I thought it was obvious too when I said miles better than anyone in the NBA 

I don't see Edey lasting out of the lottery (I could be wrong here).  There are a couple of desperate fan bases who need hope and if nothing else, Edey will sell tickets for a year or two as fans see that great big hope.  Again, could be wrong but teams draft to sell tickets just as much as they do to win games.  Especially bad teams.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think one thing lost in this shuffle is that Edey will come on a rookie contract where as OO and Clint do not.  A Clint for Edey swap also frees up between 18 and 21 million dollars in salary for something else.

image.thumb.png.ae31729794a9e8d5e1ce60a535ce5b23.png

So Edey at 10 is $4.6 mil, at 14 he's 3.7 mil and at 20 he's 2.9 mil.    Pick 15 looks like the low risk, high reward slot for Edey money wise.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

When Trae was here, CC playing 28 mpg was getting nearly 11 paint touches per game and a vast majority were high quality and converting at an terrible rate that put him at the bottom of centers in the NBA. Replace that with Edey and we have a completely different offense. It's like comparing those PGs we had backing up Trae like Taylor and Wallace to Trae. That's the enormous gap difference. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I don't see Edey lasting out of the lottery (I could be wrong here).  There are a couple of desperate fan bases who need hope and if nothing else, Edey will sell tickets for a year or two as fans see that great big hope.  Again, could be wrong but teams draft to sell tickets just as much as they do to win games.  Especially bad teams.

Who wants to see Edey?  The women's championship game had more viewers than the men's did this year because fans don't want to see a big oaf lumbering around the court.  They wanted to see Caitlin Clark and her flare on the court though.  Hell, I didn't watch it.  I watched the Braves instead.  

5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I don't see him lasting outside of the lottery but it won't be the bad teams. It will be teams like OKC and NO you got to worry about

Just now, KB21 said:

OKC is much more likely to take Filipowski because he fits their 5 out style much better.  

OKC has the flexibility to do whatever they want. They could even draft a PG if they think Giddey isn't what they want anymore. They are loaded with ammo. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

OKC has the flexibility to do whatever they want. They could even draft a PG if they think Giddey isn't what they want anymore. They are loaded with ammo. 

OKC needs size, but also doesn't want to give up it's style of play and clog the middle.  Tough to balance the two.

No way they draft a PG.  They already have 3 of them in the starting lineup.

2 minutes ago, shakes said:

OKC needs size, but also doesn't want to give up it's style of play and clog the middle.  Tough to balance the two.

No way they draft a PG.  They already have 3 of them in the starting lineup.

SGA is not a PG anymore, who's the 3rd one?

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

SGA is not a PG anymore, who's the 3rd one?

Cason Wallace.

OKC is also one of the faster paced offenses in the NBA.  Bad fit for the slow Edey.  

Edited by KB21
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Cason Wallace.

OKC is also one of the faster paced offenses in the NBA.  Bad fit for the slow Edey.  

He doesn't start but yeah I forgot about him. Yeah, they aren't drafting a PG when they drafted one last year. 

They have a drive and kick scheme. I don't see the fit. They like to play 5 out, A LOT. They do need size but you can find size in Europe for how they play

Edited by NBASupes