• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)

KB, Jokic won MVP with a 24 WAR

Shai is in the mix this year with a 16.9 WAR

Jokic at a 9.7 WAR is the best we have ever seen from a rookie. Chet has a 5.9 and Wemby 4.7. That's insane. 

Only Mitchell, Tatum, Porzee, and Jokic had above 6. 

Why can't I believe Edey can do it too. His game is trailor made for insane WAR. Put him with Trae, sky is the limit. 6-8 club baby!

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

What more else can you break down.  Edey is slow, unathletic, can't move quickly, limited leaping ability, can't shoot from the perimeter, is a below average passer, can't defend out of his area...etc.

He ain't slow and unathletic 

His leaping ability is impressive considering his height, weight, and wingspan.

He's not allowed to and everytime I show the video of his pre draft video last year, you run away.

He's a nice passer in the post 

Defends better out of his area than you claim and the data proves it but you hate data when it comes to Edey

The horse was dead weeks ago but some of you aren't tired. I'll be happy to pick this debate back up when either A) the Hawks draft him or B) we see him in Summer League. Otherwise, let it go you 2. Its not reflecting well.

I've had my say and tend to be right on these things much more often than I'm wrong but I'm honest enough to admit I could be wrong. What I'd like to hear from both of you is, "I could be wrong about this!" That would satisfy me more than me being right.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He ain't slow and unathletic 

His leaping ability is impressive considering his height, weight, and wingspan.

He's not allowed to and everytime I show the video of his pre draft video last year, you run away.

He's a nice passer in the post 

Defends better out of his area than you claim and the data proves it but you hate data when it comes to Edey

There's a scene in the movie McClintock where Yvonne De Carlo is sitting on top of John Wayne when Maurine O'Hara walks in.  John Way says, "Are you going to believe what you see, or what I tell you?"

That's what is happening here.  You are trying to tell me to not believe what I see and instead believe what you are telling me.  That's not how I work though.  When I can watch the player and see for a fact that he is very slow moving, I don't need to see any data that is skewed to tell me any different.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

@NBASupes You think ultimately that Ware will be a bust? 

If he played last season At 225, no.

At 240, 100%. You can't at a good weight which is clearly heavier than comps like Jarrett Allen and be at 240. It removes the comp and it means he's more polish than raw. The more raw he is, the better for his upside. The sell on Ware is upside. 

Not his floor. If he's closer to his floor than upside, he's gonna bust and it will be quickly notable. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There's a scene in the movie McClintock where Yvonne De Carlo is sitting on top of John Wayne when Maurine O'Hara walks in.  John Way says, "Are you going to believe what you see, or what I tell you?"

That's what is happening here.  You are trying to tell me to not believe what I see and instead believe what you are telling me.  That's not how I work though.  When I can watch the player and see for a fact that he is very slow moving, I don't need to see any data that is skewed to tell me any different.  

I am obviously telling you what I see then I back it by data, film, testing results, and other factual metrics while you are basically saying he is slow because that's what my eyes see and while you have no data, you basically claim, you aren't alone so I can't be wrong even though you and them are wrong.

Edited by NBASupes

44 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Offensive center is obvious, draft Edey. 

The hard one is another star like Booker or Mitchell. 

This team is easy to get back into playoffs. Get Edey. The hard part is getting a legit star for Trae. Murray is the easiest one to move. He improved his value. There are suitors and while the deals aren't great or even that good, it's workable. There are no workable deals for Trae. 

A rebuilding trade doesn't work because we need to add the assets from Trae to our assets but the Murray trade killed that so we can't rebuild. Even a trade with SA is a massive net negative. Not optional. 

That's not true. That's obviously not true. Murray loves it here. 

I had a chance to check out Edey and he does have a nice post-game and good rebounder but to me it feels like he clogs the line like CC does and he does not have a pick and pop game to him (most of the stuff I seen from him was putbacks and under the rim).  These center today can hover around the three-point line and shoot it, do you think he can do that.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I am obviously telling you what I see then I back it by data, film, testing results, and other factual metrics while you are basically saying he is slow because that's what my eyes see and while you have no data, you basically claim, you aren't alone so I can't be wrong even though you and them are wrong.

Every f***ing scouting report on him cites his limited mobility, slow footedness, and lack of explosion.  So, I guess everyone is just off their rocker.

3 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I had a chance to check out Edey and he does have a nice post-game and good rebounder but to me it feels like he clogs the line like CC does and he does not have a pick and pop game to him (most of the stuff I seen from him was putbacks and under the rim).  These center today can hover around the three-point line and shoot it, do you think he can do that.

Supes has a mancrush like never before on Edy, so I don't know if you will get an unbiased take about this 😆

1 minute ago, NekiEcko said:

Helpers really don't clogged up the lane. Elite Helpers never do. Now CC is washed so he actually is now but his first couple of years in Atlanta, he wasn't clogging anything up. CC became a clogger when his athleticism dropped and he wasn't the lob threat he used to be and he's never been a big time rolling threat outside of the lob. He just lacks the hands, touch, and body control in traffic. 

Edey got a shooting touch, it would be nice to see it on display in the NBA 

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Every f***ing scouting report on him cites his limited mobility, slow footedness, and lack of explosion.  So, I guess everyone is just off their rocker.

That's where your wrong. My scouting report on Edey doesn't say that. And I've seen a number of them as well as videos from your boys, No Ceilings that doesn't say that. But you don't read or listen to anyone saying anything positive about Edey. You think they are all on Edey payroll

• Haha 2

• Moderators

i've stayed out of the Edey debate because i don't watch a ton of college ball but here's what i know

1. Alex Len and Dewayne Dedmon never had better years in their careers than when they played with Trae

2. Edey is 4 inches taller

3. Folks around here begged for guys like Bol Bol and Mo Bamba despite them having no strength or inside game.  

4. Edey is the biggest legit inside player to come out in years.  When they bulk him up he's going to be Valančiūnas plus 5 inches in height.   that's crazy.  

So yeah.  Why not if we have the chance. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That's where your wrong. My scouting report on Edey doesn't say that. And I've seen a number of them as well as videos from your boys, No Ceilings that doesn't say that. But you don't read or listen to anyone saying anything positive about Edey. You think they are all on Edey payroll

You do the opposite of this though. It's been a month and you won't acknowledge that there is anything remotely limiting to Edys game, either. 

I am with campster. This discussion needs to die. It flows over into damn near every thread on this board. Pick it up after Summer League. 

We do this with almost every year a "special" big man prospect pops up. People get obsessed and derail most other discussions with "Player X is the truth".

Edited by Afro

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Afro said:

You do the opposite of this though. It's been a month and you won't acknowledge that there is anything remotely limiting to Edys game, either. 

I am with campster. This discussion needs to die. It flows over into damn near every thread on this board. Pick it up after Summer League. 

This thread is where the Edey discussion should be housed.  Please feel free to flag posts on other threads.  That will make moving them easier.  Thanks!

Zach Edey is the most polarizing player in 2024 NBA Draft: Why Purdue star ranges from lottery to second round pick | Sporting News

Gigantic players like Boban have been able to score and rebound at insane rates — the 7-4, 290-pound center has averaged 22.8 points and 14.8 rebounds per 36 minutes for his nine-year career. But he has only played 8.7 minutes per game because of how much of a defensive liability he is with his stiff hips and slow feet. Edey faces similar problems. Getting him to change directions on defense is like turning a cruise ship. 

33 minutes ago, Afro said:

But I don't. I don't dismiss it as hate. I just simply don't agree. 

When I have said, oh, you hate Edey, you must be on someone's payroll?

KB has said that many times. 

He writes off anything positive about Edey. I don't just write off anything negative. I either agree or I don't. 

I have a full scouting report on Edey. Two and it's anything but roses and peaches.