• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Nothing I said was false.  Utah lost in the playoffs because Gobert isn’t a switchable defender, and teams took advantage of that.  Gobert moves better than Edey.  Both of those are true.  

Everything you said was false about Gobert. 

I keep proving you wrong, over and over and over again.

Rudy moves better but Edey is clearly faster and has better overall movement. Short area movement ain't even close, Rudy superior in that area. Rudy is one of best players in the NBA. Thanks for comparing him to Edey

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Everything you said was false about Gobert. 

I keep proving you wrong, over and over and over again.

Rudy moves better but Edey is clearly faster and has better overall movement. Short area movement ain't even close, Rudy superior in that area. Rudy is one of best players in the NBA. Thanks for comparing him to Edey

I didn’t compare them.  I showed why Edey isn’t Gobert.  You are the one that tried to make Edey into an elite drop defender like Gobert.  

Trae tosses a lob to Capela and he dunks the ball.  Question:  With a much bigger target, can he do the same with Edey?

How slow is slow?  Edey is slow.  Big men must move slowly.  Otherwise, they trip over their small opponents.  With his very slow, deliberate movements, will Edey ever be able to get under the basket to catch and shoot?  There must be something he can do well.  Yep.  He shoots a good % of his free throws.  This is a + for Edey.

Hawks desperately needs size.  Edey qualifies.  No one can doubt this.  Will he be easy to score on in the NBA?  Too slow to get there and the play is over and he's wondering, What just happened?  Can the Hawks use him?  Can Quin teach him how to play NBA ball?  Is he smart enough to learn?  

And, finally, will he still be there when it's our turn?  Which ever team gets him it's going to be interesting watching.  Seeing how he turns out.  Seeing which of our two distinguished posters here on the Squawk has the correct scouting report.  Stay tuned.

🤔

35 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Trae tosses a lob to Capela and he dunks the ball.  Question:  With a much bigger target, can he do the same with Edey?

How slow is slow?  Edey is slow.  Big men must move slowly.  Otherwise, they trip over their small opponents.  With his very slow, deliberate movements, will Edey ever be able to get under the basket to catch and shoot?  There must be something he can do well.  Yep.  He shoots a good % of his free throws.  This is a + for Edey.

Hawks desperately needs size.  Edey qualifies.  No one can doubt this.  Will he be easy to score on in the NBA?  Too slow to get there and the play is over and he's wondering, What just happened?  Can the Hawks use him?  Can Quin teach him how to play NBA ball?  Is he smart enough to learn?  

And, finally, will he still be there when it's our turn?  Which ever team gets him it's going to be interesting watching.  Seeing how he turns out.  Seeing which of our two distinguished posters here on the Squawk has the correct scouting report.  Stay tuned.

🤔

Bigs in the modern NBA aren’t just under the basket scorers.  They need to be able to shoot from the perimeter.  They need to be able to hit the elbow jumper off the short roll.  They need to be able to drive with the ball on close outs.  

Everything I just mentioned, Onyeka Okongwu can do.  

• Thanks 1

Hawks aren't picking Edey in the top 10...........

When we lost the Kings pick that should've been the end of Edey discussion.. 😀

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

🤔

This is sophomore Edey who was completely inferior to Junior much less Senior Zach Edey. He was used a lot as a lob threat as his guards was more capable of these passes than his current guards of the last two years. 

I feel like this gets asked a ton by some guys.

He's not slow, other than NBA Combine numbers which are here, he is moving really well live. 

Even KB favorite site, No Ceilings dispels the allegations 

Even one of the few things KB has admitted is Edey is smart and has high mental acuity. My belief is, defensively, it will take time but he will overall have a close to positive impact. Wouldn't shock me if his defensive RAPTOR is a -0.2 to 0.2 range.

His offensive RAPTOR is what I care about. I believe he's capable of a +4 offensive RAPTOR. No rookie in the modern NBA has done that. Also, watch if Trae can touch +10 offensive RAPTOR with Edey. Both will help each other massively. I think Trae could pass +11 which is the greatest offensive season ever by Steph Curry in 15-16.

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Lively II

Mobile Big...

capable of being an easy lob target and defensive anchor with his long wingspan, and he may settle into a role as a traditional pick-and-roll big. He’s mobile enough to guard some on the perimeter, which can be useful as part of a switching scheme or when things break down and he ends up guarding a ballhandler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Mobile Big...

capable of being an easy lob target and defensive anchor with his long wingspan, and he may settle into a role as a traditional pick-and-roll big. He’s mobile enough to guard some on the perimeter, which can be useful as part of a switching scheme or when things break down and he ends up guarding a ballhandler.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2023.html

https://tankathon.com/players/dereck-lively-ii

This year

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2024.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/livelde01.html

Lively II and Gafford have been insane in terms of on court, off court. Generally, centers that even decently fit Luka, Harden, and Trae are better than they were previously with them but look at them now. Lively II is scoring more in the NBA as a rookie than he did in college as a freshman. He is the first big to do that since Shaq outside of Wemby who also did it this year. 

Dallas won 12 more games this year with Lively II and got post ASB depth with Gafford. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2023.html

https://tankathon.com/players/dereck-lively-ii

This year

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2024.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/livelde01.html

Lively II and Gafford have been insane in terms of on court, off court. Generally, centers that even decently fit Luka, Harden, and Trae are better than they were previously with them but look at them now. Lively II is scoring more in the NBA as a rookie than he did in college as a freshman. He is the first big to do that since Shaq outside of Wemby who also did it this year. 

Dallas won 12 more games this year with Lively II and got post ASB depth with Gafford. 

Yeah...and?

They have very specific skillets that I want for the Hawks. Mobile bigs who offer both defensive and offensive VERSATILY.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Lively and Gafford are both far better defensively than Edey.  

Gafford has spent most of his career as a negative impact player with good production.  He's great with Luka in his current role.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gaffoda01.html

Lively is clearly better on defense than Edey but what did Edey do to him at Duke last year. 

What did Lively do on offense to Edey?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2022-11-27-15-purdue.html

0 points 

0 TS%

36 Offensive Rating 

3 shots and attempted two 3s because he couldn't even get an attempt off on Edey. Quit playing with me. This is disgraceful! Landry, you better promise Zach right now and end this tomfoolery. 

Edited by NBASupes

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yeah...and?

They have very specific skillets that I want for the Hawks. Mobile bigs who offer both defensive and offensive VERSATILY.

Neither of them offer offensive versatility. They barely do anything beyond big man movement which Edey does way better than they do right now. This must be a joke

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You hate facts, I would hate to see you on Jeopardy 

You seem to hate the fact that if Edey was as good of an athlete as you are trying to say he is, he’d already be in the NbA.  The NBA doesn’t let great athletes who are big slip by.  

Example.  A raw freshman in Lively had far more value according to the nba than a junior Zach Edey.  

Edited by KB21

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You seem to hate the fact that if Edey was as good of an athlete as you are trying to say he is, he’d already be in the NbA.  The NBA doesn’t let great athletes who are big slip by.  

Example.  A raw freshman in Lively had far more value according to the nba than a junior Zach Edey.  

Ain't no one saying he's Lively or Gafford athletically. He's literally 70 pounds bigger than both of them. He's 3 inches taller than Lively and 6 inches taller than Gafford. 

Those guys exclusively use speed and explosiveness as they are wiry. This is common sense. This is not hard to understand. You seem to have extreme difficulty with that. 

The issue I have with you is Edey is a freak athlete for his size even if he's just below average overall for a center like Clingan but for their size, they are very athletic and they produce because of it. It's like you are having the hardest time coming to that realization. 

His game was more modern at that time. Edey game got a lot more modern this year. It's not hard to explain. 

Edey has made himself a world class screener. He needed to do that. He improved his footwork, Mobility, ability to defend in space. These things Lively was already doing as a freshman. Edey wasn't or wasn't as good as he is now. That's the difference. 

When you draft Lively, you know you are getting an tremendous athlete who's 7'1, has tremendous pace and explosiveness who can switch, rim protect and while he's not much of a paint protector, he's young and still developing. Offensively, he has the big man movement package. He's more of a lob threat and rim runner type but like all BMM, he's at the very least, a good screener. He can even slip pretty good as well. Good feel and BBIQ. Lively is extremely limited offensively but he got some qualities and they fit Luka well.

Edited by NBASupes