• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I don't want to reopen your continued volleying of dismayed posts regarding the Hawks pick at number 1...but short and concise, you in our out on Sarr? 

In only if rebuilding.

Out if Trae stays. It could become disastrous. 

What people worry Penix Jr and Cousins becoming is actually what I worry about with Trae and Sarr. 

He has MVP potential so I can't be against it but Edey also has MVP potential and it's actually a perfect fit with Trae. That's why I am for Edey with Trae. What Trae is special at, so is Edey. They fit like Cinderella slippers.

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, deester11 said:

It's a message board and an opinion.  But thank you.

Just saying, none of our opinions are swaying the Hawks organization. They have done their homework and even if they grab things from this thread and others, it will only be a small part of their eval

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In only if rebuilding.

Out if Trae stays. It could become disastrous. 

What people worry Penix Jr and Cousins becoming is actually what I worry about with Trae and Sarr. 

He has MVP potential so I can't be against it but Edey also has MVP potential and it's actually a perfect fit with Trae. That's why I am for Edey with Trae. What Trae is special at, so is Edey. They fit like Cinderella slippers.

I’m afraid one of Cinderella’s slippers may be lost.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hawkish said:

I’m afraid one of Cinderella’s slippers may be lost.

Same. But at the end of the Hawks. The Hawks don't have to trade Trae. He is under contract 

• Like 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

Just saying, none of our opinions are swaying the Hawks organization. They have done their homework and even if they grab things from this thread and others, it will only be a small part of their eval

But here’s the thing. I’ve been a fan of this team for as long as I’ve been alive, which is a long time to be this damn unsuccessful. Just like the Falcons.  I wanted them to swing for the fences (Penix)  and not do what everyone thought they should do and that’s what they did. I have no idea if it pans out or not, but it feels good to finally be on the end of taking a chance on greatness.  A vision if you will. 

The Penix situation is nowhere near the Trae and Edey/Sarr comparison considering they play different positions and neither would be threatened by the other. I get what you’re saying about it, but how in good conscience can you pass on someone who has the potential to be an MVP candidate? I get what you saying about Edey I just don’t agree that he would ever be in a conversation over Sarr. I acknowledge your points too on Edey.  If we were at 10..8...sign me up.  All I'm saying is, at one, IF I WERE GM, I pick Sarr after they announce the draft has started and before the first commercial!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

LOL at Jokic having MVP potential in the modern NBA!!

Jokic is at least an elite passer and shooter.  He at least has skills that are elite that aren't just about his size.  

48 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae is our best player and our franchise player

He's a solid B- to B level drop coverage 5 who when he gets a lot more experience, should be an A level drop coverage 5 like Marc Gasol by the beginning to middle of his 2nd contract in the NBA. For Trae, drop coverage matters a ton because he's world class awful at off ball defense. 

He doesn't defend anywhere near what you think he does. Nowhere close. He covers space but our issue is protecting the paint and he's not good at that. Clingan is great at it and Edey is good at it. He lacks too much size and bulk. He will help wonders for switching but switching sucks for us because of Trae off ball defensive failures. 

All of these guys have the same threat rate from 3 and Sarr isn't a center at all. Edey and Clingan are capable 3 point shooters. We seen it two years in a row from Edey in the NBA Combine workouts. I don't know what else you need to see. It's not like he's shooting 28% from 3

Using open gym shooting drills to justify someone capability. I have seen steven adams hit threes in open gym. I watched dwight howard drill oepn threes in shoot around before a playoff game. That is not capability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

But here’s the thing. I’ve been a fan of this team for as long as I’ve been alive, which is a long time to be this damn unsuccessful. Just like the Falcons.  I wanted them to swing for the fences (Penix)  and not do what everyone thought they should do and that’s what they did. I have no idea if it pans out or not, but it feels good to finally be on the end of taking a chance on greatness.  A vision if you will. 

The Penix situation is nowhere near the Trae and Edey/Sarr comparison considering they play different positions and neither would be threatened by the other. I get what you’re saying about it, but how in good conscience can you pass on someone who has the potential to be an MVP candidate? I get what you saying about Edey I just don’t agree that he would ever be in a conversation over Sarr. I acknowledge your points too on Edey.  If we were at 10..8...sign me up.  All I'm saying is, at one, IF I WERE GM, I pick Sarr after they announce the draft has started and before the first commercial!

You don't pick Edey at 10 either.  This idea that Edey is the best fit alongside Trae is warped at best.  It's basically saying that Trae needs a big, slow, limited big and can't play with athletic bigs that have versatility to their game.  Defensively, Edey with Trae would be an absolute nightmare for the Hawks.  It would be very bad.  Trae is a bad defender at point guard, and Edey will be a worse defender at center due to his inability to move well enough.  

Sarr is the perfect fit for Trae.  Well, actually the perfect fit for Trae would be JJJ, but Sarr is in that archetype of player.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deester11 said:

I wanted the Falcons to do the same. Cousins as a short term and Penix as a long term. If anything, I didn't see much negative. I wanted to see how Cousins would react and it showed me that Cousins could be SB winning QB or even a MVP. His mindset isn't soft as to what the media was trying to sell. 

As far as the comp, I don't see how to develop and win now. Its like wanting to be a ladies man but be loyal and a faithful man of one relationship. It's an oxymoron. You can't do both at the same time. Now if Sarr was Wemby, then you can do both as Wemby is 4 WAR rookie who's needs to be developed. If you are the typical talented rook who's a -0.6 player. You can't win with that guy. Just can't. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Using open gym shooting drills to justify someone capability. I have seen steven adams hit threes in open gym. I watched dwight howard drill oepn threes in shoot around before a playoff game. That is not capability.

We haven't seen them do it with any level of consistency and based on Sarr numbers, he's shit at them. Sarr projection is 33% to Edey's 32%. That's really nothing and Edey wasn't allowed to shoot 3s at Purdue. Let's stop acting as it's something he can't do

10 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I agree re: Penix.  The Falcons are a great example how to avoid groupthink.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This number 1 pick doesn't have the expectations that others do lol. This one is expected to be a player to build with not around. He is not coming in asked to be a 20 ppg scorer. He is coming into be asked to play defense and help them on that end. 

All #1 picks have tremendous expectations 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

We haven't seen them do it with any level of consistency and based on Sarr numbers, he's shit at them. Sarr projection is 33% to Edey's 32%. That's really nothing and Edey wasn't allowed to shoot 3s at Purdue. Let's stop acting as it's something he can't do

Edey projection is zero because he has not shown in yet. Same has Clingan. The fact that you are using OPEN GYM shooting to justify it is hilarious. You can say sarr shit but hes a willing shooter who has actually displayed the skill at that level. These other two guys are not shooting at all yet.

Just now, NBASupes said:

All #1 picks have tremendous expectations 

Number 1 picks don't go to teams with 10th best odds usually

• Like 1