• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any help here....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Thinking for the future.  Somehow, if we were to scrap together a few pennies after nixing a few FAs.. or even making a salary cutting trade....

What do you think about going after Obi Toppin?

I know we have talked about KAT... etc.. 

But Toppin is a rim runner.  He has an outside shooting game.  He can score in the post.  In fact, he was the top scorer of his class. 

He's 6'9 and 220... he has good size..   He and Jalen at the 4 and 3 would be interesting with a maestro like Trae.

I'm pretty sure he will be moving on from Indy because of Pascal.   Toppin wants PT... same problem he had in NY.   Here he can get PT...

It's not a move for an All NBA player but he has loads of potential. 

We can get a BU C or starting C in another move. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't think Obi is a starter in this league.  But I'm not basing that on a ton of watching him though.  JJ at the 3 and Obi at the 4 seems like we'd be getting killed on D though. 

As a backup big off the bench i could see it. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think Obi is a starter in this league.  But I'm not basing that on a ton of watching him though.  JJ at the 3 and Obi at the 4 seems like we'd be getting killed on D though. 

As a backup big off the bench i could see it. 

I really don't know if there's a real answer for Defense unless we do a major overhaul.   We have flawed players and the hope is that we can get a good defensive burst because of athleticism and good coaching but we don't have many stoppers. 

Still.. for now... let's say:

Trae, DJ, JJ, Obi, OO...

are our starters...  (For grins)...

Could this team win?

What would we need in the way of reserves (Hunter (4 sure) and others) to make this a winning team?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I really don't know if there's a real answer for Defense unless we do a major overhaul.   We have flawed players and the hope is that we can get a good defensive burst because of athleticism and good coaching but we don't have many stoppers. 

Still.. for now... let's say:

Trae, DJ, JJ, Obi, OO...

are our starters...  (For grins)...

Could this team win?

What would we need in the way of reserves (Hunter (4 sure) and others) to make this a winning team?

How is that team any better than our current one that's well under .500?  I don't think that starting lineup gets out of the play in. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How is that team any better than our current one that's well under .500?  I don't think that starting lineup gets out of the play in. 

1. I believes Jalen plays better as a 3. 
  2. You're really talking Obi vs. Bey.   

image.png

image.png

It's close.  But Obi is a better scorer and passer than Bey.  His percentages are far better.  Bey rebounds more but that may be out of necessity and honestly, Bey does work hard at getting Boards.   Size wise, that's where I can't tell.   Is Bey's 6'8 similar to Obi's 6'9?  Bey plays aggressively.   Defense.  I haven't watched enough of Toppin to know if he's a bad defender or just not a smart defender or just a mediocre defender.  Bey is a bad defender. 

I can't really define "it" but, for some reason, the Hawks just don't have "it."  They have looked for "it" and have tried, unsuccessfully to trade for "it" or draft for "it" but so far, no luck.

Hawks have a different owner.  Squawk posters thought that maybe "it" would now appear.  Nope.  Didn't happen.  So, the Hawks continue to change head coaches, hoping always that the new guy can find "it" and make "it" work.  So far, no luck.

Will we find "it" in the next draft?  Perhaps "it" comes with that next trade.  "It" eludes us.  We continually look for "it" and hope that we find "it" by the beginning of next season.  We can only hope "it" soon comes to Atlanta!!

:bb:

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Diesel said:
  1. I believes Jalen plays better as a 3. 
  2. You're really talking Obi vs. Bey.   

image.png

image.png

It's close.  But Obi is a better scorer and passer than Bey.  His percentages are far better.  Bey rebounds more but that may be out of necessity and honestly, Bey does work hard at getting Boards.   Size wise, that's where I can't tell.   Is Bey's 6'8 similar to Obi's 6'9?  Bey plays aggressively.   Defense.  I haven't watched enough of Toppin to know if he's a bad defender or just not a smart defender or just a mediocre defender.  Bey is a bad defender. 

1. What are you basing Jalen being better at the 3 on?  I don't think there is any meaningful minutes of him doing it.  In college park i think he played a lot of minutes at the 5 actually

2. i think you should compare their career numbers.  But i don't know who brought Bey into the discussion.  No one here wants him as a starter either and they are comparable players.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

1. What are you basing Jalen being better at the 3 on?  I don't think there is any meaningful minutes of him doing it.  In college park i think he played a lot of minutes at the 5 actually

I've seen Jalen play a pseudo 3 when Bey is on the floor because Bey plays more inside than he.  Also when we run the big lineup with Jalent out there, Jalen just seems to play better.  He's bigger than most 3 and is athletic enough to stick with 3s.   Like I said before, I don't think we have a legit 4 on this team.  Obi would be that. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I've seen Jalen play a pseudo 3 when Bey is on the floor because Bey plays more inside than he.  Also when we run the big lineup with Jalent out there, Jalen just seems to play better.  He's bigger than most 3 and is athletic enough to stick with 3s.   Like I said before, I don't think we have a legit 4 on this team.  Obi would be that. 

I don’t think Obi is a legit starting 4.  

6 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I can't really define "it" but, for some reason, the Hawks just don't have "it."  They have looked for "it" and have tried, unsuccessfully to trade for "it" or draft for "it" but so far, no luck.

Hawks have a different owner.  Squawk posters thought that maybe "it" would now appear.  Nope.  Didn't happen.  So, the Hawks continue to change head coaches, hoping always that the new guy can find "it" and make "it" work.  So far, no luck.

Will we find "it" in the next draft?  Perhaps "it" comes with that next trade.  "It" eludes us.  We continually look for "it" and hope that we find "it" by the beginning of next season.  We can only hope "it" soon comes to Atlanta!!

The coach may not have "it" either.

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

Thinking for the future.  Somehow, if we were to scrap together a few pennies after nixing a few FAs.. or even making a salary cutting trade....

What do you think about going after Obi Toppin?

I know we have talked about KAT... etc.. 

But Toppin is a rim runner.  He has an outside shooting game.  He can score in the post.  In fact, he was the top scorer of his class. 

He's 6'9 and 220... he has good size..   He and Jalen at the 4 and 3 would be interesting with a maestro like Trae.

I'm pretty sure he will be moving on from Indy because of Pascal.   Toppin wants PT... same problem he had in NY.   Here he can get PT...

It's not a move for an All NBA player but he has loads of potential. 

We can get a BU C or starting C in another move. 

Obi was my guy as a prospect but sadly his lack of size was a massive problem as he didn't have a position and is basically a tweener. 

That said, he's definitely a reserve to look at in FA. 

JJ is not a 3. Laterally. JJ is too tight like Smoove. These dreams of him being a 3 is pure delusion. Quin don't even try it and he uses Bey who we know can't defend well at the 3 over JJ. 

If I had a choice between Bey or Obi, I am sticking with Bey even if Obi is better. 

Bey short roll movement on the perimeter is just way too key for spacing and that's bigger for us than another undersized movement player. We lost it when Kevin left and got it back with Bey. Let's not lose it again

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:57 PM, Gray Mule said:

Reading comments about our rookie, Kobe Bufkin, some of our posters believe that he has "it!"  Could it be?  If so, it's wonderful to have one Hawk with "it" in his skill set.  

:smug: