• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Rod to the Yankees??

Plainview1981

I think that I would kill to have A-Rod on my team.........however, they want the Yanks to give up Soriano which I am cool with.....plus Contreras and they really cant afford to lose a starting pitcher......plus they want them to give up their top minor league prospect as well and eat most of A-Rods salary. I just dont know if he is worth all that. If the Yanks could find another starting pitcher out there (maybe Maddux?) I would probably do it but not any other way I dont think.

You think Jeter is overrated? I dont even want to get into this with you because you arent a Yankees fan and dont watch every Yankee game like I do every year. Jeter is the undisputed heart and soul of the Yankees and he does so many things that you dont even realize unless you watch him play. While he isnt statistically the same player offensively or defensively that A-Rod is, he offers so many more things that are just immeasureable simply looking at the stats. I would almost guarantee you that the Yankees would not have won ANY of their world series titles during the Jeter era without him.

I dont know why the got rid of Pettite. I think its because they were too focused on Schilling and Steinbrenner never really liked Andy anyway. They more than replaced him with Kevin Brown though. Put Brown and his ERA on the Yankees last year and he would have won a few more games than Pettite did. They also got Javier Vasquez and IMO he was the biggest acquisition of any team so far this offseason because he is so young and talented. I do wish we hadnt let Pettite go. He and Clemens live within about 15 miles of me and I have seen them out and out a few times and it just kills me to think of them as Astros.

Jeter isn't a Elite SS anymore. He was....but every year

he seems to decline. Honestly, I'm not Arods biggest fan,

but Jeter isn't half the player A-rod is now.

"

They more than replaced him with Kevin Brown though. Put Brown and his ERA on the Yankees last year and he would have won a few more games than Pettite did. They also got Javier Vasquez and IMO he was the biggest acquisition of any team so "

The only problem is that Brown is aging and will show

decline and it's likely to happen sooner rather than

later.

Javier was a really good pickup.

Man you are crazy. Last year even with a very tough year after dislocating his shoulder opening day he still came back and almost won the AL Batting title. He hit .324 last year and is a career .317 hitter while being one of the quickest and better all around defensive shortstops in the game. He isnt in A-Rods class power wise and not quite there defensively but nobody is. He does hit for a higher average and a higer OBP I believe while being a captain on one of the best teams in the game.

Batting average doesn;t mean alot....You also factor in RBI's and I don't think Jeter came close..... jeter had

a 393OBP and A-Rod had a 396OBP

A-Rod has a career .308 batting average so it isn';t as

if Jeter has a real advange there. Jeter has only toped

80RBI's twice in his career. Jeter is apart of the Yankee

franchise now..but that doesn't make him better than A-Rod.

When did I say that Jeter is better than A-Rod? Certainly talent wise A-Rod is the best player in the game, only rivaled by Barry Bonds. Still though, Jeter is a terrific player and when he retires will be known as the best shortstop on the best franchise in all of baseball in its history. You cant just look at RBIs and HRs when judging a player like Jeter, especially with him being a shortstop. When you consider what he has done in the postseason for the Yankees and how many big games he has won for them and how he has almost single handedly carried the team many times (which I wouldnt expect a non-Yankee fan to konw) thats when you are able to measure the true greatness of a player like Jeter. I havent even mentioned the fact that he is one of the toughest outs in baseball either. Also, considering his RBI total you have to understand that he hits behind the strikeout or HR king Soriano, so he doesnt have nearly the opportunities that many star players get for RBIs.

He hasn't been hitting behing Alfonso his entire career

so that doesn't really work.

I'm not just looking at RBI's and HR's although they are

two of the most important parts. He also hits for close

to the same average almost every year. He's a better fielder...

Nobody in there right mind would rather have Jeter. Plan

and simple. And for the record, I don't have a favorite

baseball team.

Who is arguing that he is better than A-Rod as a player? A-Rod quite possibly will go down as the best SS to every play the game by the time he is done and may end up being the HR king as well. He is also an amazing defensive SS. Jeter is a very good defensive SS and hits to all parts of the field and is a very tough out and an the unquestioned heart and soul of the team......but he isnt as physically gifted as A-Rod.

My only arguement right now is that Jeter has carried his team when nobody else was doing squat all the way to the WS, while A-Rod has never led a team anywhere. He has a chance to become a legend if he comes to NY and dominates in the regular season and post season.....or he can become another star player that was unable to perform in the biggest of stages.

One thing is for certain on this trade.......if the Yankees get away with only giving up Soriano and a top prospect and are able to hang onto Contreras this will be a HUGE event because now the Yankees wont have to get another starting pitcher from someplace. The only negative to this trade is that it leaves a gap at 2nd base........but watch out this year for this kid Eric Almonte, he has big time potential and he is a big reason why they arent reluctant to trade Soriano away.

Jeter is one of the top 3 shortstops in the game. You can't look at just homeruns and rbi's with him, because he does more than that. He is a clutch hitter, who when the pressure is on will come through more times than not.

Who expects 40+ homers and 100+ rbi's from a guy that hits in the two spot? Jeter hits for a high average and scores a lot of runs. If he needs to move the runners over, he can do that. If you need a clutch hit or a walk, he can do that. The guy is very under appreciated by the number crunching average fan, who only will look at the morning box score.

Is he in the same class as A-Rod? No, but who is?

TROUBLEMAN

Quote:

Who cares about hits if you don't drive in the runs?

Have you ever played baseball? The role of the number 2 hitter in the baseball lineup is not to drive in runs. His job is to set the table for the guys in the 3,4,5 spots. The number 2 hitter is supposed to move the lead-off guy into scoring position, or get on if the lead-off hitter makes an out. How many guys hitting in the 2 spot are among the league leaders in rbi's?

TROUBLEMAN

You doubt it because you are as clueless about baseball as you are about basketball. Baseball is all about doing what you are supposed to do to help the team win. In baseball Jeter is supposed to move over the leadoff batter and he does that with opposite field singles and doubles and he does that as well as ANYONE in baseball. If he wanted to be a freelance hitter that swung for the fences more often he has the power to be a decent HR hitter, but Jeter is a smart player who does what he is told to do by Torre and thats to move the runner into scoring position.

Lousy? I suppose you are a Garciaparra fan huh? Jeter was only .02 fielding percentage points behind the great Garciaparra last year and thats coming back from a bad shoulder injury that he never really recovered from.

Jeter isnt a great SS defensively, but he is still one of the better defensive SS in the game when he is fully healthy. In case you are curious, Jeter has a career .973 fielding percentage, while Garciaparra has a career .969 fielding percentage.....so I guess that makes him lousy too right? A-Rods career fielding percentage is only .977 so that must make him lousy too right?

By the way, the season hasnt started yet and if the Yankees have to give up Contreras in this deal like has been mentioned dont be surprised at all to see them acquire a lefty starter either before the season or before the trade deadline. Oh and I do appreciate your Sox being such tightwads that they wouldnt pay for Ruth and now A-Rod......we are glad to have them.

A little bit of trivia for you too.......when was the last team to win a world series named the Red Sox? Come next year your answer will be the exact same.