• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I don't get it...

HAWKSFAN

I don't get how anyone can complain about today's trade. Did you really think we were going to go on a run and make the playoffs this year or something?????? Because that wasn't going to happen. Basically we improved our draft position and added a draft pick at the expense of what??? What is it a costing us, It's costing us a playoff run that we weren't going to make and it's costing us a player that wasn't going to play for us next year.

Because I want this franchise to win. And with Wallace we would be in the same position that we are now. There are no guarantees we are going to get a top player in the draft. Also, do you think Knight knows who that player is? I don't. The only thing you can hope for is Kobe to come this summer or TMAC in 2005. But, guess what TMac isn't going to leave Orlando to come here. As bad as Orlando is Atlanta is worse so why would he come here.

P

I understand that none of yall value a mid first round pick, but why???

There have been plenty of good players taken in the mid first round.

Please tell me why you would prefer to have 28 games of Sheed and then lose him and get nothing in return? Why is that better than adding a first round pick? Do y'all want this team to always suck?

Quote:

I understand that none of yall value a mid first round pick, but why???

There have been plenty of good players taken in the mid first round.

Please tell me why you would prefer to have 28 games of Sheed and then lose him and get nothing in return? Why is that better than adding a first round pick? Do y'all want this team to always suck?

Agree.

Red....

agree...

no respect would have come to us by winning an extra 5 games with Sheed. none.

we would have gotten nothing out of NOT doing this deal. nothing.notta.zilch.zero.

i don't care if instead of the first round pick they gave us a candy bar and five dollars. five dollars and a candybar is greater than no candybar and five dollars.

Because now a days in the NBA there is no guarantees in the draft. No matter where you pick. With high schoolers, foreign players and the college kids. Who knows who is better than who. It's not like the 80's and through most of the 90's. Where I could agree with you more on having a high 1st round pick. You pretty much were going to get a solid player. Now a days you just don't know. You could have the best player at pick 23 instead of pick 1. The draft isn't an exact science anymore. You just go with what people say about high schoolers and foreiners. Then you try to compare that to the college guys.

I would much rather have a reliable player that has already established themselves in the NBA. The beauty is we have cap room to get those types. But, no one will sign here.

We are going to be like the Bulls, Clippers, name any bad franchise.

P

No one hates first rounders, but for every 28th pick that succeeds there are two who aren't even with teams.

The issue is that Knight could have gotten more for Reef/Theo in the beginning and made it seem like he was getting something at the end of the day.

He didn't. He got scrubs and a mid-round.

The draft is a crap-shoot with bad odds.

Play.

five dollars is still greater than no five dollars..

sheed is a free agent after this season. whether we traded him or not, he would be a free agent. the chances of us signing him in the offseason have not changed. trading rasheed has only done one negative thing- going to our games will be less fun to watch without rasheed(whoopie doo).

As long as you are happy thats all that matters. I hope the Hawks do well over the next few years. If they don't and this fails. Well Whoopie Doo. I guess we all should be use to those comments we are Hawks fans.

Maybe I will eat crow on this one. But, I doubt it.

P

yes, i'm on weed and proud...

anyway, i agree with you on the reef trade, we should have gotten young talent or a 1st out of that..that trade wasn't that great in my opinion..

BUT with our situation post-Blazer trade, this 3rd deal makes sense. instead of ending the season with xdollars cap space, we end up with xdollars capspace plus an extra pick. we lose nothing..

again, i feel we lost something in the trade to the Blazers but the trade to Detroit we only gained something. a pick and higher draft status.

Im talking about this trade. Essentially we got a 1st rounder for nothing.

And I have no problem with the Reef and Ratliff trade for essentially a 1st rounder. That doesn't bother me at all. We got rid of 2 huge contracts. It was 2 huge contracts that we were paying only to lose 2/3rds of our games.

We'll see how these 2 draft picks turn out and we'll see what we do in free agency.

To me, doing this gives us a chance, doing nothing would have given us no chance at ever being good. Can't believe that y'all could have watched the Hawks the past year and thought we had some sort of a future.

We didn't "Shareef, Theo Ratliff, and Rasheed Wallace for a mid first rounder" .. We traded SAR and Ratliff for Rasheed, who we then traded for a first rounder. Big difference, and it's dishonest to suggest otherwise.

If you want to include all the players ever involved in the trade, for the end result, why not say, "we traded Brevin Knight, Lorenzo Wright, Pau Gasol, SAR, Ratliff, Kukoc, Glen Robinson, Mutumbo, Nazr Mohammed, Roshown McLeod, (and a bunch of others I can't remember) for a mid-round pick!"

*snark*

Well, the real problem was the first trade. We traded away two all star caliber players for nothing but cap space. Maybe some of us thought, that Knight had some kind of plan to make up for that first trade and finally get us some young talent and/or a lottery pick.

If you don't look at the Reef/Rat/Dickeau for Wallace/Person trade, this one seems alright... cause we now have a mid first rounder instead of nothing. Although we still could have tried to get some real value through a S & T in the offseason.

I think some of us are disappointed, cause this trade finally shows us how terrible the first trade was.

Rat / Reef / Dickeau for a mid first rounder!

Quote:

I think some of us are disappointed, cause this trade finally shows us how terrible the first trade was.

Rat / Reef / Dickeau for a mid first rounder!

This is a genius statement? Yeah, I guess the $20 million dollar in cap space is useless. Did you guys think rebuilding was going to be done overnight? Hell, Denver didn't do it, they've been rebuilding since Mutombo left. Heck, they are not even guaranteed a playoff spot this year, cause in case you guys haven't noticed, they are in the 8th spot with a 5.5 game lead. You guys seemed to think the Hawks could make a run at the final spot in the East, so why can't Portland or Seattle make a run for Denver's spot?

The Hawks haven't made the playoffs since 99, which is a much smaller drought than Denver or the Clippers. People keep comparing the Hawks situation to Chicago or Utah, but there is a slight difference. Chicago couldn't attract free agents because of the way they handled Jordan, Pippen, and Phil Jackson. They blew up a championship team, and no free agent wanted to follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan. Utah has never been a place where free agents wanted to play, even when they were winning every year. Atlanta has a new arena, plenty of money, and the star player can establish his own legacy because the Hawks don't really have one. We won't get Kobe, but I wouldn't say that nobody will play here. I trust Billy Knight, and I don't believe he will overpay for the Kenyon Martin's of the world. This thing will be turned around quicker than the non-believers think.

TROUBLEMAN

• Premium Member

We have had Reef/Theo for the last 3 years...

What has it brought us?

NOTHING.

Had we kept them... This is what would have happened. We would have won about 30 games. Not made the playoffs. Not been in the chase for the top 3 picks. Had NO FAs and had nothing to trade with because no one would have given us a fair trade.

NOW.

Sure we have given away those players for Cap Space and a Pick...

But look at all the wonderful things you can do with Capspace.

Even if we don't get Kobe.

There's Crawford.

There's QRich.

There's Damp

There's Andersen.

There's Wallace.

There's Martin.

There's a whole lot of players who will come here to play for the MONEY.

If we establish a Reasonable team with a high lottery pick...

Say:

JT/QRich/Diaw/Howard/Foyle.

and that team plays .400 ball.

Do you know how easy it will be for us to get Tmac to be interested when we start talking about 6 year 100 million dollars??

You got to look beyond what's going to happen tuesday.