• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would you draft Jameer Nelson or Chris Duhon?

Blunt91

I was just reading the Insider and it was stating one scout is not sold that Nelson will be a top 10 lotterypick. GM's are worried about his size(5'10) and he isn't superquick. The scout stated he could see him a a mid-1st round lottery pick. So if Nelson is still available after the 15th pick do we select him or Chris Duhon? On the other hand, if Nelson, who is having a good season, isn't expected to go top 10 then who is to say Duhon won't be available early in the 2nd round.

• Premium Member

Too many guys here rely on NBADRAFT.net's ranking. I tell those guys to go through their rankings and look over past years predictions and actuals...

That's to everyone who believes that Duhon will be a late second. That's baseless. I'm not a Duke fan, never been a Duke fan, but I know that Duhon is one of the best PG to come out of Duke in recent history. This guy is poise, basketball smarts, with the ability to hit the big shot. He will go first round.

About Nelson. I like him. He is definitely the reason why St Joes is where they are... BUT..... He is short. I would guess shorter than 5'10. Will that effect his draft position? Well, there was a very talented PG who played for Uconn a few years ago. He was drafted by Chicago. This kid had ability. He was short. Because of his size, nobody wanted him. Brevin Knight came out of Standford as one of the best all around PGs to ever play. He was a great defender, good offensive player, and a NY PG. His height effected his draft position.

I think Nelson would have to make some big noise in the NCAA and then it will still be hard for him to be high lottery. I think he'll go 8th if St. Joes does well in the NCAA.

In the NBAdraft.net mock draft it has:

1. Dwight Howard

2. Emeka Okafor

3. Josh Smith

4. Luol Deng

5. Shaun Livingston

6. Andris Biedrins

Say we get the 5th pick of the draft, Would you draft Livingston at #5, 6-7 175 High School PG or would you go after someone else?

I say heck yes we get that kid, I hear his stock is rising tremendously and he is full of potential. He is 6-7 and has mad handles and he is only 18, wait till his 2nd-3rd year in the league, he will be stronger and possibly taller with great PG skills, now he is a guy that can definitely compliment JT.

If we get #6 I dont think we should get Andris Biedrins, he is full of potential but there is something telling me that he might be a bust. Not really sure who I will get at #6 if the draft does go down like this, you guys put your input.

Duhon is a good floor general but he has a weak shot - look at his shooting percentages. He was benched for a time last year. I still think he can be a successful NBA player, but he may not be anything more than Jacque Vaughn, a similar talent who came out of a top program, with alot of post-season experience, was a true team leader, but lacked a good shot and never developed.

No way Duhon is picked before Nelson and he is likely destined for the second round. Devin Harris from Wisconsin is a PG to look at for a mid-first round pick - Very athletic, 6'3", decent shot.

Jameer Nelson

nelson_bc.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

NBA Draft Spotlight 2004: Point Guards (2-1-04).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=draf...ov=st&type=lgns

The remaining point guard guaranteed to be a first round pick is St. Joseph's 5-11 senior Jameer Nelson.

Nelson declared for the draft last year, even participating in the NBA's Pre-Draft Camp, where he wowed scouts. Ultimately he decided to return to school for his final season of eligibility.

Although his lack of height does hurt his stock, Nelson's prolific scoring, passing and even rebounding at the college level combined with his quickness, leadership and smarts virtually assure clubs that he will be a solid NBA player.

• Premium Member

PG is the hardest position to learn. I don't think that there has been a HSer PG that has come out and been the man. Simply because it's a position that relies on more than Athletic Ability. So unless, Livingston is going to change over and play 2, I say No.

• Premium Member

No, I don't think Duhon will be taken higher than Nelson, unless something changes. We still have a tourney, we still have camps. What I am saying is that Duhon will be a first round pick. His shooting has been a little weak, but he has always been able to hit the big Shot. I think that's important. I think Duhon will make an excellent BU guard and will challenge for a starting position. I think Nelson might be an excellent starting PG if he plays with the right team. He'd have to play with a team with Structure and with a SG that has some size. The Lakers would be an interesting place for Nelson.

I am completely sold on Shaun Livingston. I am tired of us settling on the Rumeul Robinsons,Dan Dickaus and Jason Terrys of the world. Livingston is a 6'7" point Gaurd with superstar potential.

Nelson look at the stats Nelson has a low Assist/TO ratio and turns the ball over more than JT in the a weak conference.

As for Duhon my gut just tells me he wont be a player.

I definitely would not use our top pick on Nelson or Duhon but wouldnt mind Smith or Livingston if we miss out on Howard. Btw, I thought our win a few days ago was just a fluke, I'm still looking for us to strongly challenge for the worst record and top pick or Howard then Okafor.

I however would definitely love to get Jameer with our mid first pick. I'm still picking Jameer for Rookie of the Year next year wherever he goes. He has good strength and speed from what I've seen and that will conteract his height. I'd also bet his wingspan is well over 6feet and he uses all of it to get his fall away jumper up over taller defenders. I'd risk letting Duhon drop to the second round even if I really wanted him.

• Premium Member

I doubt we take Livingston. He's going to take a few years to develop into an NBA PG.

I've done some reading about him and if he does skip his commitment to Duke, I think he'd fair pretty well in the backcourt with JT or Diaw (If JT were traded for a Pick).

I would love to trade JT for a lottery pick and have to choose between Livingston (if he comes out) and Smith.

Interesting would be:

To trade JT to Chicago or Orlando for a top pick. We get the #1. Livingston doesn't come out.

We rebuild with Howard/Smith and Next year, we put ourselves in position to get Livingston.