• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Musselman Talks About Hawks Summer Progress

jaywalker72

It's been a busy couple of weeks for Hawks Summer League Head Coach Eric Musselman.

Between jetting from Atlanta to Oakland for an interview for the Golden State Warriors head job and running the summer league practices and games, the Hawks coach still took the time to talk to RealGM's Jason Walker and discuss the progress of the Hawks summer league squad.

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/

but I really think he deserves a shot in GS. I wonder if it is possible to send Lon to GS and keep E Muss? Ha ha! I like Lon but I think E Muss may end up being the better coach. He has always been my favorite coach on the team. I guess time will tell.

I think in time we will be looking for a coach that is precisely what Musselman is now.

Bill Shanks brought up a great point though, about Lon being a perfect foil for EMuss's uptempo ramblings. Maybe the players need a balance...

I underrate Lon's effect on the team at times, and though EMuss is my kind of coach, we'll see how it all plays out.

My guess is that he'll be terrific and that I'll be a big Warrior fan next year...

The original excuse to why Theo was only scheduled to play in the last 3 games of summer league was because his wife was expecting their 4th child (which is understandable). Then we find out his wife had the child 2 weeks ago.

Now we are told Theo hopes to play in the last summer league game, no excuse is given to why its gone from 3 games to 1.

I have almost given up on this guy. Sounds like Pete has been lying too. He said early this month that if the Hawks would have made it to the playoffs that Theo would have been ready to play.

Does anyone have any real insider info on Theo's status? Has been playing in the team scrimmages, or just watching, or is he even showing up?

I agree with you coachx, he was going to play 3 games now one. What's up with that. "Theo don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk".I think Theo's interest are on other things than playing in the tournament in Boston.

We dont even know the reason why Theo is only playing in one game, but whats the big deal? We already know that when healthy he is an All-Star caliber center. Why should we run the risk of him getting some freak injury in a meaningless game? Isnt one game enough in the summer league? I mean, the players are on the road for probably half of the year and away from their families all the time and his wife just had a baby, so maybe he is trying to spend as much time with them as possible. Maybe he is getting moved into his house and everything. Maybe he has bee performing very well in practice and the team wants to get more work in for guys like Haslem and Bennett. Everyone wants to think that it was an oversight that Theo didnt opt out of his contract and he really doesnt want to be here, but come on now, think about that for a minute. Do you guys honestly believe that a professional player and his agent would allow him to just miss that date? Wouldnt it be unethical for the team to allow him to not know about it if they knew about it? Seems pretty far fetched to me. He could have opted out and on the strength of a solid come back season this next year gotten some big money in the FA pool for 2003. I think that with him not opting out and with him buying a house here and settling down that he is showing he wants nothing more than to be playing for us. He has volunteered to come in with the other guys in the offseason for the workouts and he even volunteered to play in a meaningless summer league game when other guys coming off of injuries like Toni and Hendu arent even thinking about playing in them. Now I am as cautious as the next guy concerning Theos health and his return, but I choose to look at the positive side here and believe that he will come back healthy and that he wants to be here. I think everyone just needs to relax and chill out unless we hear something factually negative about him, like re-injuring himself or him saying he doesnt want to be here.

I must agree that you guys are overreacting...Why should we expect him to rush back after his wife just gave birth to a child? We wouldn't expect it of non-athletes and I personally would have been pissed if someone told me two weeks was all I had with my baby boy...Besides, Hawks' fan have waited two years for Theo, is a little longer gonna kill anyone?

Very good point, Dolfan. I agree 100%, we know, the management knows, the league knows and his teammates knows what Theo Ratliff can do on the court when healthy. He doesn't need to prove anything in those summer leagues which are basically only for rookies to earn some reputation and free agents to show their stuff. Is not for players like Theo especially him having injury problems. He will have enough training when training camp starts and if they say he is doing a great job in practice plus he also went to mini camp before the summer league started then there is NO reason for him to go to summer league.

I rather have stay home and spend time with his family and practice with the guys, than go to the summer league and get injured since he is so injury prone. It's a good decision by Him and management, because we all know with him in the lineup we will be much more successful, he is the key. No many teams have an intimidator inside like Theo. We need that this year, especially with the guarantee of making the playoffs.

they gotta be real careful how the use theo. we don't need to get him hurt in some summer games. i'm happy if he's only playing in one game. i'll be holding my breath a winter for him to stay healthy. i just don't know if i can hold my breath long engouh.

Anyone know how the player's camp went over the weekend? I assuem Theo was there and read somewhere that JT was the only one who couldn't make it (probably Toni too, though not mentioned).I think they practiced Fri/Sat/Sun...