• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Oh can we please trade for Iverson

codyatl

From ESPN:

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Allen Iverson said he was ready to play in Sunday's 85-69 loss to the Detroit Pistons but changed his mind after 76ers coach Chris Ford told him he'd come off the bench.

"I'm a starter. I've been a starter here for eight years. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson said after the game. "I'm a starter. I know in this league ... if someone comes back from an injury, if he's a starter he starts. What's the difference? If you're going to cut my time down, cut my time down. It doesn't make any difference. I'm a starter."

Iverson has been hampered by a swollen right knee, which caused him to miss three straight games before Sunday. The league's second-leading scorer participated in the shootaround before the game but was on the Sixers' bench in street clothes at tip-off.

After the game, he said he "was already taped and everything and had my uniform on. I had to take it back off, so that was rough."

"I feel real disappointed because I told the trainers I was going to play," Iverson said. "He (Ford) said I hadn't run up and down the court, and he wasn't sure about my conditioning."

Ford and Iverson have had a rocky relationship since the coach replaced the fired Randy Ayers on Feb. 9.

"I didn't know he was going to attempt to play until how much time was left on the (pre-game) clock? Not much," Ford said. "From my understanding and what I was told yesterday after his workout, I'm going to look out for A.I. and the team. Somebody's got to make decisions around here."

He is a complete jackazz. I wouldn't want him on my team if he played for free. Unreal. He has such a great attitude.

• Premium Member

And AI might be leaving too. The Lakers may just talk Kobe into a trade with Philly. Unlike Zeke, Kobe would get the chance to play in front of the homecrowd. I think also, that Phil would be able to change AI.

Funny would be AI and Karl Malone on the same team.

Shaq/Malone/George/AI/Payton!

Then, somehow, Philly would have to be able to get Sheed? Right now, he's living large in Detroit. But Maybe Detroit would take Kenny Thomas/Snow/1st for him?

• Admin

AI is a nightmare. The guy plays hard, plays his ass off and I respect that a lot. But he's just too uncoachable at this point. He's not going to get along with anyone on a team where he's not chucking up most of the shots...and lets face it, he's not going to look good unless he's taking 30 a game. He just not a good enough shooter to be a star unless he's the primary shot taker.

Plus, I don't want the Hawks to be remembered as the team that AI ended his career on (due to injury). Which is going to happen sooner than later with him.

AI is a warrior, toughest little man ever.

He is however liable of having a shortened career preciasely because he gets smacked around on the court and he keeps on playing. Since he did sign an extension he's signed long term and my guess is he has already peaked.

Funny you should mention the lakers though, apparently Shaq really likes AI, who knows it could happen.

yea, SHAQ is really high on AI... callin him the best player "6ft and under" in the history of NBA.

honestly, i think theres a good chance that KOBE goes to MEMPHIS (whos up there with LAKERS these days).

also, if LAKERS do not win a championship this year... i see PAYTON out and going to KINGS, PACERS, or another BIG TEAM.

• Admin

as sad as it is to say about such a young guy, it's true. He's not going to become a better scorer, he's not getting faster or strong, and because of his stubbornness, his injuries are only going to get worse. As he gets older and loses some of that quickness, the injuries will show their effects more and more.

The question that needs to be asked most, IMO, is can AI adjust his game, can he evolve? Can he learn to play differently to compensate for the inevitable physical loses? So far, the answer has been a resounding NO. If we knew otherwise he would be worth getting. But without that absolute assurance, he's too risky.

I keep hearing Kobe to Memphis but I want to know how that is going to happen. Memphis is over the cap so all they can offer Kobe is the MCE (approx $5.5M the first year). You think Kobe is going to leave almost $10M/season on the table to play in Memphis?

The only way Kobe could get his money in Memphis is for LA to agree to a sign and trade deal. I may be wrong but I think Jerry Buss would rather die than help Jerry West get Kobe.

• Premium Member

Memphis could offer Pau Gasol, Swift, and Battier and two first and they still wouldn't get Kobe. Jerry Buss hates West. Especially if Memphis does really well in the playoffs.

You'd be safer to think Phoenix, LAC, or Atlanta before Memphis.

The reason Philly is a reasonable thought is that that is one city Kobe might agree with. He'd secretly love to switch places with Iverson. If LAL can get Iverson/1st for Kobe, it might be worth their while... If Phil could handle Rodman, he could handle AI even though AI is not Phil's style of Guard.

Wouldn't you like to see:

GP/AI/George/Malone/Shaq!

I'd take AI off Philly's hands as long as I didnt have to give up a for sure top draft pick. For the new owners, AI would bring that instant marketability that they need. Plus we'd still have enough left over salary cap so that AI wouldn't have to be built around, just a key figure.

I'd definitely give up JT and a our mid first round pick. I'd hold on that offer for now and if Philly doesnt snatch it up then maybe later I'd go JT and our first next year with a top 5 restriction.

We're gonna have a new coach next year, we'd just have to make sure it was someone we thought could work well with AI. If we cant get Doc Rivers then this might be a case to bring in Dominique, I bet he'd get AI's respect.

i like what you've proposed Iman. although AI has been whining alot and isn't good with practice, he brings it every night and is a superstar...now if we could only get him to work out a bit.

but what you've proposed is a nolose situation in my opinion so i'd do that.

• Admin

in the starting lineup. He's been out injured off and on all season. His coach wants him to take it easy by bringing him off the bench for a game and AI just refuses to play? C'mon, what a punk.

That says it all about this guy....and some of you would actually consider putting him on this team?

• Premium Member

This is a thought that I have considered before (JT/1st/Diaw for AI). It's really a hard thought and here's why...

AI brings the same problems that JT brings. You have to build a team around him. You have to find a PG that is big enough to play beside him. You have to have a team that is dedicated to making AI the "Main Man". The other thing is that AI makes a lot of Money. His new contract was a payment for what he has already done and what he will do in the future for Philly and for their marketing.

SO the Question, could we do it.

Here's the perfect scenario:

THe trade goes through.

We get Howard or Okafur (if he's not hurt). In FAcy, we sign Jax and Crawford along with Sura, Pryz, and Collier. We get Duhon, Sato in the Second round

Our lineup going into the season is:

Crawford/Duhon

AI/Sura/Hansen

Jax/Sato

Howard/CC/Hendu

Pryz/Collier

The primary reason is because if you trade for AI, I think you have to put yourself in the best position to win NOW and I think Okafor is more ready to contribute right now than Howard is. In addition, Okafor's blue collar style is similar to that of guys like Ratliff, Lynch, Snow and McKie who have had success playing with AI in the past.

If Philly would take JT/MIL's first and their pick back, I'd definitely pull the trigger on the deal. Basically, I'd give up anything other than our pick this year or a future non protected pick. If Philly went for that, from a fan interest standpoint, Hawks mgmt would HAVE to do that deal.

More likely however, in addition to JT and those 2 picks, Philly would want us to take one of their longterm deals (McKie or Snow) in return for Hendu's deal that is about to expire. They might even want us to take McKie's deal AND Snow's deal and they take Hendu and CC. I dont know off the top of my head but I'd bet Philly could clear some $20M off their cap for the 05/06 season by doing that. I don't know if I would do the deal if we had to take take those longterm deals but Hawks mgmt certainly might. The idea of filling up Philips every night right away would probably be more temptation than they could stand.

I really question why you guys are even entertaining a trade for AI. This guy has tremendous talent which is going to be gone VERY SOON due to the reckless style he plays with but he is a headcase, and there is no way he could handle our rebuilding situation. It would be a redeux of JR Rider all over again. PLEASE, don't even think about it. We take a shot at Kobe and a solid FA with our cap room, if we can't get Kobe we get two or three solid role players via FA and build with what we have, trying to add our marquis player in the draft.

• Premium Member

Actually, I woudl consider Okafor strongly if his back is not injured. The reason Defense. However, if Okafor is injured and from everything I am reading he is very injured, I would take Howard. The reason, he's got skills, he's a good defender, but mainly he's fast. They say that he makes the efforts to beat Guards down the floor. That's Karl Malone in his prime!!

I really think AI brings too many problems.

I mean, you can market him... Yes.

He will put fans in the stands.

But:

1. He's not making Philly a winner yet.

2. His Attitude.

3. His contract.

4. He's getting older and he will soon start losing a step.

5. You have to build around him.

If we brought in Howard/Smith with Jax...That might be a winning combo!

I think Jax surrounded with any above avg talent could be a winner right now. Wow, Jax is being everything for us out there right now. And I think this is how he wants to play for his career wherever he is, it isn't just the contract. He has finally got the PT and right now, he is the MAN on this team, and he is delivering, boy is he ever! Jax right now is playing as well as any SF we've had save Nique right now that I've seen.... he is being our leader out there, trying to get us to play D, I really hope we can keep him for a decent price and add talent around him...

• Premium Member

I'm no so quick to jump on the Jax wagon. I know he's putting up good numbers, but when you are the only offense your team has, is it that hard?

Doc Rivers used a bunch of guys who didn't have any press and he allowed them to play hard and win. When there's no star to play around, it's easy to look good. Well, that's what we're doing now. Jax has become our scoring threat but he also has no post player to concern himself with. My fear is that we get Howard, sign Jax and Jax becomes a distraction.