• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Knight mocked on local atl sports radio this ....

MoonKnight

morning due to his reported decision to close all future draftee workouts to the public. Jay's reports must be hitting some nerve with Knight b/c no other local media outlet that I am aware of is reporting in detail about the workouts. The talk show hosts feel that Knight needs a lesson in p.r. b/c they believe these types of moves combined with his usual tightlipped answers is poor p.r for a team that really needs good p.r.

• Premium Member

He's working out the guys that will give away his drafting strategy in the lottery. I don't really blame him for that. If he shows his hand this early, it could affect a player(s) that he's hoping to draft or deals that he's stringing together.

He is a tight mouth som'biotch though. It's irratating, but it could work out in our favor in the long run. The quiet mysterious types are always the ones who grab attention. People will WANT to know what the Hawks are thinking and if we can get to a respectible level of play...then BK's quietness could work for us by keeping the franchise on the minds of the media and FA's.

• Premium Member

You had to see this coming. Sure, Knight will let us see some of the late 1st rounders and potential 2nd rounders he's thinking about; but as we get closer to D-day, you had to know the veil of secrecy would fall.

• Premium Member

It's good that Knight is tight lipped about Smith's workout. He don't want Charlotte or Washington to get the opportunity to scoop Smith or Childress if they have monster workouts for the Hawks. By that same token, he don't want it to get out to the rest of the league that these guys are impressive because it's possible with a need driven draft and the unsurity surrounding certain players that one of these guys could drop all the way to 17!

That is a good thing. Knight is working for the Hawks and not some other team. Keep the lid shut and tightly shut.

Like I said before the man has a plan..... We will see if the man has a clue of how to build a team real soon. I am optimistic that he does. I have been impressed by what he has done so far.

• Premium Member

Would be to use the media to his advantage. Get somebody on the "inside" to leak some misinformation about a player's workout. Something like talking up a guy like J.R. Smith so that GMs would think that he might believe that he's more than a 20 and below player.

Or to have the press leak something like the Hawks are really interested in Loul Deng or Devin Harris to see if that leak would cause somebody to make a move for them early just to maintain whoever we like at 6....

However, it would be unethical to downtalk a great player. For instance to leak that Jo Smith was unimpressive in hopes that he would fall to 17 would be unethical.

It is no more ethical to talk up a guy who sucks than it is to talk down a guy you like. Both COULD be construed as being unethical but like it or not, that is how the game is played. The NFL GMs do it both ways all the time. They talk up one guy hoping the guy they really want falls to them. Conversely, they talk down a guy, hoping he falls to them in their slot. I get your point about it being unethical but that's how it is right now.