• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

who was the worst draft pick for the Hawks

Blunt91

I was looking at some of the Hawks past draft picks and as you all know it is pretty sad. The thing that I wasn't aware of is that some of them were pretty high and didn't contribute at all like Doug Edwards who was the 15thpick in the draft back in 1993(How many seasons in the NBA did he play? 2 or 3?) Adam Keefe as the 10thpick in 1992. Jon Koncak was notorious for his contract and I think he was a top 5pick when he came out. To be honest with you Jon Koncak showed me more than Edwards and Keefe and that is pretty bad. Well here is a poll I will let you guys decide on who was the worst pick in Hawks history.

• Premium Member

Wasn't Preist the last pick of the first round?

I say that Priest was not a bad one. Doug Edwards had a good career at Fl St with Ward, Sura, Cassell they had a big man whoose name slips my mind. I want to say Baker (not Vin).

Even though Cak played well at times, we still missed out on Karl Malone...

Keefe was interesting.

But most interesting was Babcock's proclaimation that Marble would be the next MJ!

Easily. He's the perfect case of a team getting enamoured with the size of a player instead of the player's skills. Koncak was a big stiff that could shoot from the perimeter, but he couldn't defend, had no post game at all, and was a terrible rebounder.

The fact that he was the 5th overall pick makes him the worst pick.

Edwards was a mid first round pick back when the draft wasn't as deep as it is now. It took a lot more work back then to find a contributor once you got out of the lottery than it does now.

One of the best draft picks that was made during that time was Alan Henderson. It's a shame that injuries robbed him of a bright career in the NBA. The guy came out of Indiana as one of the most accomplished players to ever come out of that school, and he made an impact as a rookie on a Lenny Wilkens coached team. His second year, he nearly died due to viral pancreatitis. In his third year, he really blossomed and averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds per game as a starter over the second half of that season. Atlanta gave him a big contract, and he's been pretty much injured ever since.

BTW, did anyone see that Grant Long was in Chicago during the predraft camps auditioning himself as an assistant coach? Long wants to catch on as an assistant on some team. I wonder if he will be considered as an assistant for the new staff in Atlanta?

• Premium Member

He's the reason why the Hawks didn't win a championship.

McClosky was genius. He looked at Koncak with the hawks and offered him the largest contract for a big man next to Pat Ewing. Did McClosky want Koncak.... HELL NO. However, he knew that Atlanta needed Koncak to keep it's white fans. So the Hawks Matched and the Large Contract made the break up of the Hawks easy. Soon after, Nique started to say... I'm worth far more than Koncak, but they don't pay me like it. The Contract also started FAcy down hill. Pretty soon Ewing put a clause in his contract that he should be one of the top 3 paid Cs. So the price of Cs went up. What Koncak made then was nothing now, but it was a very good move for the Pistons GM who made sure that Atlanta wouldn't be able to bring in help via FAcy and the added benefit was the scuffles between: Nique, Willis, and Management about money.

• Premium Member

...but he owns a medical supply company that does business with the doctor's office that my wife works for. He comes through there all the time and I've talked to him on the phone about basketball stuff.

Just thought I'd throw that in there. grin.gif

• Premium Member

There were a lot of good players from small schools in the first round...

Dumars, AC Green, Oakley, Shrempf, Mullin, Karl Malone, Terry Porter.

Wow. Lots of good players After Cak..

But even:

Terry Carthlidge. I remember him with the Bucks.

I voted for cak, but seriously, we should take into account the position of the pick. Keefe was probably the 2nd worst pick because of his lottery status.

Also, I think that Dickau should be considered since we traded a decent pick to move up and get him. That whole fiasco was ridiculous because we should've drafted Tony Parker or even Tinsley, but traded the pick to wait a year and draft Dickau who is completely overmatched???