• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Livingston getting second look by Hawks

thescout5

Livingston has been evaluated by at least 11 NBA teams. The Charlotte Bobcats, the Atlanta Hawks and the Phoenix Suns have asked him for second workouts. The Orlando Magic might seek a second workout with him.

Livingston has added 15 pounds since he started working out in Chicago and now weighs 187. Some NBA teams were concerned that he was too thin for an 82-game season, but the added weight, and his workouts have eased worries.

Draft analysts predict that Livingston could be taken anywhere in the first round, from third throught seventh. Most analysts believe he is a likely top-10 pick.

Livingston averaged 18 points, eight rebounds and seven assists last season in leading Peoria High to a second consecutive Class 2-A state championship.

"I got good feedback from the people that matter, the general managers, not just that 'He said, she said' street talk," Livingston said. "(The NBA) picks a lot more on potential now, and I'm just trying to take advantage of that."

Anyone else thinking that if Howard is taken by Orlando that if the Hawks trade up the Hawks man is Livinston?

It's a possibility. I really doubt Billy Knight will go into this draft with the idea that he absolutely has to get Dwight Howard. He's going to have a plan and a wish list for who he wants.

It's safe to assume that Dwight Howard is at the top of that wish list. He fits all the criterion that Billy Knight has for a player, plus he brings the added effect of being a local player.

I think it could be assumed that Shaun Livingston is the first fall back option in event that they can't work out a deal to get Dwight Howard. Of course, they will likely have to deal up to get Livingston as well, which may be why they have had some talks with Chicago about that 3rd pick.

The next option is anyone's guess, IMO. I'm sure Billy Knight has a good idea of who he will take at the 6th pick if he stays there. Right now, I'm just not sure who that player will be. It could be Josh Smith, who would bring a local flair, but he seems to be more of an athlete than a basketball player to some. Does Billy Knight see things in Josh that tell him Josh will be a great player? I don't know. Andre Iguodala is another player I think Billy will strongly look at, as well as Devin Harris and Ben Gordon. IMO, if Ben Gordon is there, he's the best player on the board. I have him as the third best player in the draft behind Howard and Okafor.

But with Gordon, won't we be getting another version of JT? I mean i know gordon probably is a little better athlete than Jt, however they both have the same main problem. They lack the height to play the 2 guard, yet do not possess the ability to smoothly run a team which is essential for a point guard. I just really think that a high lotto pick is worth too much, to take the chance( much more thsn a chance IMO) of running into the same problems we have with JT. I think that if we can't move up for dwight or livingston, that our best option may be to trade down a couple of picks and pick up another first rounder. IMO after howard, okafor, and livingston, nobody else is worth a high lotto pick. The talent in picks 6-15 is very similar, and if we could pick up two picks instead of one in that range, we could add two very solid players to our roster. Plus, let's face it... we need help just about everywhere!

Just because Gordon is a great shooter and a gifted scorer does not mean he can't run a team. Jim Calhoun played him as a shooting guard so he could get his best players on the floor. He wasn't willing to put Taliek Brown on the bench to play Gordon at the point guard position, and Brown wasn't gifted enough to play shooting guard. Calhoun actually had to convince Gordon to shoot the ball more.

Of the three college point guards in the draft, Ben Gordon took a lower percentage of his team's shots than both Devin Harris and Jameer Nelson.

As for Gordon's size, he came in at a shade under 6'3" officially, and his wingspan was an impressive 6'8.5", making him a much taller player.

This guy will have a Dwayne Wade type of impact on the league next year. Just watch.

• Premium Member

But do we really know if he's going to be more like JT or more like Francis? JT is a tweener by ill management, not neccessarily by talent. PG is the most demanding position on the court and most guys coming in struggle to adapt - even if they play the point 3 or 4 years in college. It is rare that you see PGs come into the league and exhibit dominant (or sometimes even decent) playmaking ability right away.

JT was just another "score first" guard when he came to Atl. His problem was that no one allowed him to take his lumps as a PG. This was the fault of two coaches: Lenny and Kruger. Lenny sheltered JT, and benched him EARLY in his career, rather than let him get out there and take his lumps. What we thought was a genious move by Kruger probably was more damaging that what Lenny did. By moving JT to the 2, all of a sudden it becomes his "natural" position and everyone assumes this is where he should be playing. The team tries to pair him with taller PG's, ball handling 2's, point forwards - while JT develops the mentality that he'd be better off just worrying about shooting the ball. I'm sure that if Francis or Marbury were faced with the same type of ill management that JT has undergone, they would be faced with similar problems; perhaps not to that degree...because everyone develops differently, but certainly they'd have some issues in their game.

All that being said, I believe that Ben Gordon will not be a JT clone. JT is the posterboy for how NOT to groom a PG prospect; nobody is going to allow a talent like Gordon to become the next one. He'll be used exclusively at the point and playmaking will be drilled into his head. In 2 or 3 years, he may not be a Jason Kidd...but he will be something closer to the plethora of non-traditional PG's in the league.

If the Hawks move up to top 3 it is a no brainer

1.Howard

2.Livingston

3.Okafur

If the Hawks stay at 6 then I don't think Gordon makes it past 4 or 5 if he does it will really be a big decision go with Harris or Gordon or some one else.Didn't Gordon disapear for some of the season? I thought I heard that he sometimes will score the quietest 20 points in a game.Can Gordon score big baskets? Is he a clutch player? Have gordon and Harris faced off against each other? I am high on Harris and who ever has biggest impact I take.

IMO, Gordon goes at 4. I do not think Washington would go with Gordon. Why would they when they have Gilbert Arenas signed to a mega-long term deal as their point guard?

The best fit for Washington is Andre Iguodala. His ball handling ability and court sense at the shooting guard position will allow them to let Arenas be more of a scorer from his point guard position. They could then play Jarvis Hayes at the three, where his lack of ball handling skills will be masked.

Or, they could go with a line up of Arenas, Hughes, and Iguodala while bringing Hayes off the bench. Deng is also a good fit for them.

I think Iguodala happens to be a great fit for Atlanta as well.

Your right if the Hawks are in the top 3 the list would be to pick in this order.

1.Howard

2.Livingston

3.Okafur

Livingston will become the number one pick guard in the draft, and I don't think it will take him years to achieve that. I think Ben Gordon and Harris will become very good, but Livingston will receive the crown from the 2005 draft with in a couple of season, and if not next season.

I hope the Hawks draft him, if they are unable to draft Dwight Howard.

Doesn't Hughes already fill that same role for the Wizards? He came into the league as a point guard and while he has proven incapable of playing that position full time, he does have much better than average ball handling and passing skills for a two guard. He filled that role all last year while Stack was injured. Iggy may be an upgrade, but I think he only works if the Wizards are able to unload at least one of Stackhouse and Hughes - which, due to contracts, is not that easy.

The best fit for Washington is probably Biedrins, if for no other reason than he can provide some stimulus to underachieving big men Kwame Brown and Brendon Haywood.