• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who should coach the Hawks and why?

Derek

Quote:

I guess no one wants to give their opinion.

Del Gave his opinion.

Mavs' Harris no longer a candidate to coach Hawks

11:37 PM CDT on Sunday, June 27, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Del Harris will be staying with the Mavericks next season.

Harris has taken himself out of the running for the Atlanta Hawks' head coaching position, two sources close to the Mavericks said Sunday.

Harris was one of the favorites for the Atlanta job after interim coach Terry Stotts was fired following the season. Harris talked with the new Atlanta owners before starting his duties as coach of the Chinese national team.

The Hawks have been talking to numerous candidates, including Detroit assistant coach Mike Woodson and Indiana assistant Mike Brown. However, Harris had been considered a front-runner until he took himself out of the running.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...rief.25865.html

• Premium Member

These things tend to start coming out within a few days of the actual hire... which is according to the basic timeline we'd been told to expect anyway.

I personally didn't reply to the question posed in this thread b/c I really don't have any good rationale for annointing anyone as a favorite. It's especially hard to gauge the assistant coaches' possibilities.

More than likely, it comes down to who BK feels he has the most "chemistry" with and shares the most philosophically... and w/o the benefit of hearing/seeing the actual interviews, that's impossible to measure.

Certainly, Woodson would seeimingly have entered the discussion with a leg up b/c he's a known quantity to BK.

But that is a very shaky advantage -- after all, there could just as easily be some things that BK knows about Woodson that he doesn't like, too.

So... my only guess is that BK has identified the ex-head coach that he's giving greatest consideration, and that immediately following Woodson's interview, he'll pretty much have identified the assistant that he's most interested in.

I think the primary reason this thread isn't "blowing up" is that we've already discussed our options, desires, etc. at great length.

we're more or less resigned to play the wait and see game (at least I am). There will be discussions on our opinions...once the announcement's made...until then, we have little choice but to see what Billy decides.

Mike Fratello- Why? He gives us some credibility.

Dominique Wilkins- Why? Why not. He was the face of this franchise during its best times, why not the face for the good times still to come? Never happen though, not this year anyways.

John MacLeod - He's an older, very experienced coach. He's also been very successful, as he has more than 700 career victories at the NBA level as a head coach. The one thing that stands out with him is that he is a teacher. He strikes me as a guy that will be paitent with young players and teach them the transition for college/high school to the NBA. He's also experienced as a college coach, so he has shown the ability to handle a vast array of personalities. MacLeod took the Phoenix Suns to the NBA Championship series, and he took the Dallas Mavericks to the Western Conference Championship series in previous stops.

Dwayne Casey - He's a long time NBA assistant that also has experience as a college assistant under Eddie Sutton at Kentucky. The thing that stands out about Casey is his experience in an up tempo style of play. From everything I've heard, he was the glue of the coaching staff in Seattle under George Karl, Paul Westphal, and Nate McMillan. They say that Casey is the coach that kept Gary Payton from killing Westphal.

Mike Brown - Strong defensive minded coach who has experience on the Spurs and Pacers staff, as well as scouting with the Nuggets. He's young at 33 years of age, and that may be too young. Stephen Jackson credits Brown for a big part of his development in San Antonio.

Mike Woodson - Another long time assistant who comes from a strong defensive minded program. Woodson also has experience coaching the style of up tempo basketball Billy Knight wants to put on the floor. He was an assistant for George Karl in Milwuakee at one point. A former teammate of Billy Knight's, so the familiarity may give him the edge.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd predict that Mike Woodson gets the job. I'm really waffeling back and forth between MacLeod and Woodson though.

As for Mike Fratello, I've seen nothing concrete that says he has interviewed for the job, and I've seen nothing that would suggest he is even interested in the job at this point.

It's a tough situation for any coach, not just because of our youth and relative lack of time to "gel" as a team, but also because of the losing culture that has become somewhat pervasive of late. A young, energetic guy would be a decent choice, but I'd prefer a more experienced coach that knows how to win at the NBA level. McLeod would be a great choice, or a guy like Fratello. The sticking point is that they would have to be willing to develop Josh Smith and make the key points development and confidence, as opposed to winning now at all costs. I don't envy BK.

Well Mike Brown also has experience with winning as he spent 3years with the San Antonio Spurs. Last year was his first season as a Head Assistant in the NBA. I would be happy with either Mike both have the Knowledge of playing under good coaches in Larry Brown, Greg Poppovich and Rick Carlisle.

At first, I wanted us to go for a big name coach like Rivers or Fratello but the more I think about it, going with a young, hungry guy sounds like a better option. If we bring in Fratello or if we had hired Rivers, Billy Knight would have been looking over his shoulder wondering if they were looking to take over his job as well. A younger guy is going to be more focused on the coaching aspect of the job and will more than likely allow Billy to shape the roster as he pleases. I think Billy is a good talent evaluator and I think he'll get this franchise on the right track if given the opportunity. Dwayne Casey might be okay as well but I'd rather give one of the Mikes a chance.

So, if the Hawks hire Mike Brown, I will applaud Billy Knight's effort to buck the trend of recycling coaches.

IMO, there is a shortage of quality head coaches in the NBA as it is, and recycling those isn't the answer. It is time for new blood, and the only way you get that new blood is to give guys like Mike Brown and Sam Mitchell a chance.

You have to start wondering about Dwane Casey. That guy is an experienced assistant coach that has interviewed for head jobs in each of the past three seasons. For whatever reason, he keeps getting passed over. You have to wonder if he appears unprepared when he interviews.