• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I think I'm liking Mike Brown....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Good Read on Brown.

After reading about Brown, he has a very good Pedigree.

Article on Woodson.

Woodson has a nice pedigree too.

I think I like Brown more. He's worked with Popp so he understands championship Basketball. He's been the defensive guy in SA and INdy. Both have been very good defensive teams. I like what was said about his X and O skills. I like Brown more even though his team didn't win it like Woodsons.

• Premium Member

The thing about Woodson, is that there has been no show of what he was responsible for in Detroit. Was he responsible for their defense? I don't know. IS he a good X and O guy? I don't know.

About these assistants, I don't really care if they have a good reputation amoung the players they assist. That doesn't make a difference. Assistant coaches are usually the mediator between the coach and the players. The only way that makes a real difference is when an assistant has a terrible relationship with the players... And that never happens. Even PJ had a good reputation among players as an assistant.

I've thought for awhile that BK was leaning more towards Woodson, since they played together.Especially after I read that he wanted a coach that he and the team can grow together with in the long run. I didn't know much about about Brown, but I respect Pop's knowledge and judgement. In Brown what I like most about this article is his ability to adapt. A coach who knows what he has in his team and can adapt it for each game is what we need. Focusing on defense will allow us to get into the fast break even the more,which is the style of play that Knight wants to implement. My vote is for Brown.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Even PJ had a good reputation among players as an assistant.

Just for the record, can we all agree that Spreewell was the real problem, not PJ? It's time to let that go, and for that matter, time to give the guy another head coaching opportunity, though obviously not in Atl... he wasn't too shabby at the NBA level.

• Premium Member

Nope... can't let it go...

It was more than Spree who had a problem with PJ.... Strickland in PTL also. However, the kicker was that good guys like Ferrell and I think it was Armstrong and Coles came out and said that PJ was riding them hard all the time.

The bad news is that a few incidents ruined PJs coaching career. He really wants to get back in and I believe he might do well. You can't say he lacked Passion...

• Premium Member

Strickland?

Oh, now there's a candidate for NBA's Mr. Congeniality right behind Spree.

I'd missed Armstrong and Coles comments, but I'll take your word for it... and of course, realizing that most good coaches can be accused of that offense at some point.

At least we apparently agree that PJ, given a 2nd shot, would be worth that shot.

• Premium Member

Personally, I think most pro players are pampered too much...

BUT

These are grown men and you don't go to work to get constantly fussed at like you are children. Ferrell and Armstrong to me didn't seem like they were ever bad apples, but when they came forward and sided with Spreewell... It said to me that maybe PJ crossed the line. To date, he is the most successful college coach that didn't start off in the pro ranks.

Jon MacLeod is the most successful coach that didn't start out in the pros. MacLeod has more than 700 career victories as a head coach in the NBA, and he was the head coach at Oklahoma before he ever became a professional coach. Unlike Larry Brown, MacLeod did not coach in the ABA or the NBA before coaching at the collegiate level.

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Jack Ramsey started out as a college head coach as well, though I believe Ramsey has a career losing record in the NBA.