• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OLYMPICS basketball

cyman3

so we're "co-favorites" this year. wat u guys think about that?

do u guys see us losing ANY GAMES or do u see us remaining undefeated in the olympics?

IMO- the other teams really did catch up. however, talent wise- even tho we're not sending the best possible team (Shaq/kobe/garnett/tmac/etc), we did assemble an allstar team. talent wise- we are up there w/ the best. Athletic wise- no one can match us.

2 DISADVANTAGES

1)short time to prepare. We had to wait for the season and the playoffs to end. The other nations had a head start to prepare and assemble their team.

2)endurance/health. After 82 games, most players want a vacation. our guys arent getting a break

my final thoughts- after all is said and done, i think we'll get GOLD. I think we'll win all the games (due to LARRY BROWN being the coach) but the competition will be hard (there will be games where we dont win by 20+ points).

--------------------------------------------------

btw- u guys know the score (Puerto Rico vs USA exhibition game)?

and wat happened to IVERSON? the guy is our co-captain. he cant just miss the morning meeting like that. THANK GOD Tim Duncan is also the other co-captain or else we'd be screw "leadership" wise. Iverson plays w/ HEART, but the dude doesnt lead by EXAMPLE.

it's funny though, I'm almost giving AI a flyer on this one as Amare and LeBron (the latter esp) were also late for the meeting, leading one to guess that there was a change in plans the day prior, or something along that line, and that served as the cause of the truancy.

If this becomes habitual, then I'll change my stance. But as far as this is concerned, that is, the Olympics, I've been very plased with AI's attitude and approach...

anyone ahve a breakdown of the game today? I watched bits and pieces but couldn't watch the whole thing (studying).

yea, its not a BIG DEAL at all...

i hear Iverson was just 5 minutes late and that Lebron was between 5-10 minutes late... to a team meeting or something.

they didnt think they had to be exactly on TIME and thought a few minute here and there wouldnt hurt. some coaches in this situation prob wouldnt mind so much, but this is larry brown we're talkin here....

hes the leader of the team... i think its just a warning (sittin out on an exhibition game) so that future mishaps like this wont happen again. its a good move on LARRY BROWNs part. plus, havin the co-captain late doesnt set a good example...

well, its just MINOR. they served their consequences and we just need to move on... its nothing serious.

but like u said, i think ALLEN IVERSON will be the heart of the team and that TIM DUNCAN will be the "leader by example" of the team. all led by the general LARRY BROWN, of course.

Who is the co-favourite with the USA?

That is foolish, USA will clean up.....and should be winning by at least 20 (every game) with this lineup.

You have two past MVPs, a ROTY and future MVP and then a loaded list of pretty much all All Star future or present players.......

Question: How will Australia go, any idea?

i hate to say this...

but i put MOST OF THE BLAME on george karl. he had similar talent but was no successful. He didnt have any gameplan and expected us to win simply by talent alone. that explains the 1-on-1 play that happened time over time and well... the rest is history.

btw- im not a big karl fan.

Dude Im not American, Im an Aussie, & I still think they will pump everyone.

This team is MUCH better than the disgrace that was sent to the worlds, and you are not going to get a better coach than LB who knows whats up. If he doesnt win, he wont be let back in the states I think.......

This team is MUCH better than the disgrace that was sent to the worlds, and you are not going to get a better coach than LB who knows whats up. If he doesnt win, he wont be let back in the states I think.......

"

The USA team lacks outside shooters and Point Guards and

experience. Them losing wouldn't surprise me at all.

The US team doesn't have enough chemistry, due to the fact that they haven't played together much - and I think more importantly, the fact that they are full of a lot of me first type players. If Larry Brown can get this team to be unselfish, they will win, if they play as a team. But they could be taken out against the better teams if he can't and they won't.

I think Americans were sleeping on Italy, just because it has no NBA players. They have a very skilled team with experienced players that star in the Italian league which is probably the best in Europe. Just look at the results in the past years and you can see that this team is not in the Olympics without a reason. It is not a fluke.

Eeeee! Good to see you using the link I provided, man! You know what, I HAVE to disagree with you about the US cleaning up...at least for now. Lets start with defense. Ours is terrible. Mello is getting MAJOR minutes for the US team...granted, he's a force on O and can slash with the best of 'em (tho he takes many ill-advised shots and shoots a poor %, generally)...thing is, Mello is TERRIBLE on D. Just awful.

Next up, the jump shot. Everybody knows, and every sports analyst has already mentioned, that we don't have any sharpshooters on our team. And that's what u need to break down the zone in international basketball.

Team USA lost to Italy and needed a buzzer beater 3 to beat a German team that has not yet QUALIFIED for the Olympics. There is NO WAY that this team wins the Gold UNLESS they (A) start playin better team D; (B) start playin better team O; and © start taking things seriously and stop lollygagging around.

I think this team needs your ability to sink the lefty three-pointer, eyes-closed, Eeeee...I'm serious.

You know, after watching a couple of games now of the US team, it seems largely different to what I expected. Leftybankhook, I have to agree with you. It seems like the US has suffered from a similar problem to the Australian team when we lost a dreaded series to New Zealand before the worlds. That problem is personnel. There are too many mid sized slashing players, no real perimeter strengths and with TD as the main post force, the USA are going to struggle if for some reason he goes down hurt. Also, the USA have got to stop trying to beat teams at their own game, by that I mean, they are foolish to try and defend Euro teams with a zone. Euros grow up on that stuff, and they will pick a team such as the US apart with their outside shooting.

However, give them time to gel, and I think they may be able to get it together, however here's another thought; It is obvious the lack of preparation is hurting the US team more often with each international event. How is this problem going to be combatted with the length of the NBA season, and the lack of willingness on the behalf of some unnamed 'superstar' players who would probably make the team look better. The excuse was used that the worlds team that got kicked was not well put together and poorly coached. I think it would really be a problem if a team with talent the calibre of Duncan, Iverson (both MVP's), James (ROTY) and the other more highly capable players, came up short.

However I do agree, the ability to sink the no look lefty bank,(from deep of course) would be an asset to this squad