• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How does this guy cover the Hawks for Hoopsworld?

Welcome to Atlanta

by Dialo Askia

HOOPSWORLD.com

Jul 29, 2002, 8:03am

Recent trade talks involving the Hawks sending Jason Terry to the Knicks in exchange for Latrell Sprewell has me in a disoriented state. This may be just what the Hawks and Atlanta need. We share the same desire of the cowardly lion. Unfortunately, just like in the original story, the Wizard may not be of much help to us. He’s too busy building his own team in D.C. What is that desire some of you not familiar with Classic tales may ask? That ladies and gentlemen, is heart!

Don’t get me wrong, I love JT’s game. He has a nice energy on the court. He’s extremely quick, has an eye for the ball and is money from the stripe. His numbers last year (19P, 6A, 4 R) are comparable if not better than most shooting guards in the league. The problem comes in the form of a question. Is he a 1 or a 2? His size (6’2, 180) is that of a 1 and his game is that of a 2. Bringing in an even smaller player in Dan Dickau (6’0, 170) to run the point puts the lack of size ever further under the microscope. This would make them the smallest backcourt in the league. It would be sort of like watching the Rock & Roll Express taking on the Road Warriors each night. Defensively, they’ll be exposed like a Time Square Stripper. Get your quarters!

I do understand that Latrell comes with a past. He choked his coach while he was in Golden State, which was one of the most heinous acts in the NBA in the past five years. But hey, it was PJ Carleisimo. He’s been model since joining the Knicks in the most media heavy, scrutinizing city in the L, New York City. He was also instrumental in bringing them to the Championships in the shortened ’99 season. True, he did not look like himself last season. Some attribute that to his age (approaching 32). I liken it more to his playing out of position at the 3 with Alan Houston’s large contract holding down the 2 position. His numbers last year (19P, 4R, 4A) are right at his career numbers. The only notable slide was his field goal percentage, which dropped .30 points to .404. Moving back to his natural position at the 2 in Atlanta along with the new scenery should bring his game back to the Spree that we came to expect.

Hawks fans, let me take you back to the last game you attended. Do you remember the $10 you paid for parking? How about the $40 per ticket that still weren’t quite close enough? Do you remember the best play you saw that night? Was the player or players in memory wearing Hawks uniforms? Hmm… Picture this. Theo Ratliff blocks a shot in the direction of Toni Kukoc. Toni touch passes the ball to a streaking Latrell Sprewell who is five feet ahead of the closest defender. Spree takes off from the dotted and slams down a two-handed tomahawk dunk. He’s racing back on defense with both fists clinched, mean mugging to the crowd who are on their feet chanting in excitement. That’s what we need!

The acquisition of Latrell Sprewell would be good from a business standpoint as well. I guarantee you the attendance would raise. There is a great number of New York enthusiasts that have transplanted themselves in the city of Atlanta. Their love of Spree would bring them out to the Arena as well as many home grown ATLiens that love to rally around a winner. Spree would gain notoriety for the Hawks instantly. In today’s time of sports jerseys as the ultimate fashion statement, I can’t remember the last time I saw someone sporting a Hawks’ jersey and I live in Atlanta! Think about it, when was the last time you saw a Hawks’ jersey worn by someone other than a Hawk. I’ve seen hundreds of Atlanta Falcons’ Michael Vick jerseys. I even saw someone wearing a Warrick Dunn Falcons’ jersey last week and he has yet to start a down for the team. I guarantee you’d see a Sprewell Hawks’ jersey everywhere as soon as they were pressed up. That’s walking advertisement and added revenue for the team.

I don’t have faith that the Hawks will pull the trigger on this deal. Teams usually don’t deal players going on 25 for players going on 32 unless they are on the verge of making big moves in the playoffs. The Hawks aren’t close even though they vowed to pay money back to Season Ticket holders if they don’t make the playoffs this year. Furthermore, to be quite honest. It wouldn’t make sense for the Knicks. It would be just another guard when they need to get bigger. If the Hawks do make the trade, they will definitely have “heart.” If they don’t make the trade, they’ll probably end up singing a tune from that same Classic tale, “If I only had a brain!”

And one: People, I was almost unable to bring you this article. Last week I found myself in a car accident. The airbag hit me so hard it bruised my entire upper right side and rendered me temporarily blinded. My vision is gradually coming back to normal. Thank god I've dedicated myself to wearning my seatbelt ever since the unfortunate passing of Bobby Phills. Buckle up!

• Admin

Obviously a guy who only follows the boxscores and the stats like the ESPN writers.

If he was a true fan he would realize JT is a pg and DJ is the teams shooting guard.

Oh well when we start winning watch the opinions change and JT get his due.

I predict by seasons end he will be in the same breath as Miller and Baron.

You think Spree for Terry is a good idea?Let

me bring you some cold hard facts about Spree..

1)He is old

2)His talent is on the decline.You can blame

it on playing SF all you want...but I'm not

buying it.Players like Spree that count on

atheletic ability usally start hitting

decline at this time in their career.

3)The only fans he is going to bring is

those rather dumb yankee Knick fans.Why

do the Hawks want Knick fans cheering for

us?The hell with that.I don't need fans

of other teams cheering for us.

Jason Terry has more heart in his finger

than a thug like run down looking guy like

Sprewell has EVER been able to muster.Terry

is more talented than Spree at this point.

Follow a winner?Where did Spree take the Knicks

last year?That is right!More losses than we

had.You do know they only won 30 games last

year...right?

I understand Atlanta has never been up there

with the more knowledgeable fans.Look at our

city downtown,it's a mess.When I go to a game

if Spree is there I will be looking at the

fans and thinking"Gee,look what the cat

brought in"those are the type of fans Spree

would bring to Atlanta.Quite frankly,I feel

uncomfortable around those type of fans.

Terry averaged 20.2PPG 6.9APG 3.5RPG the

second half of the season...as a POINT GUARD.

Say what you want,but those numbers are better

than the ones Spree gave.And he was a first

option and Terry is a 2nd.Not to mention how

many shots Spree has to throw up to get his points.

I would wear a Terry jersey way more a Spree

jersey.You don't have to look far to see what

Spree represents.....trash,filth,decline,old.

There is a reason why the Bucks will not even

trade Glen Robinson for him...because he is

a declining player.You probably were cheering

when we made the JR Rider trade aswell.

You think everybody here is diying for that

trade?

Stop by www.hawksquawk.net

You might learn some real basketball from

us fans.You will find several hawk fans

that think doing this trade is WRONG.

You are no Hawks fan,and you surely don't

represent Atlanta Hawk fans.Because real