• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thursday Insider:

I'm sure the JT remarks are going to draw some ire and more trade discussions...but here goes:

Thursday, August 1 Updated 9:49 AM EST

Extensions, like cash, in short supply this summer

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Free-agent point guard logjams | Sonics trying to woo Lewis back | Is Jerry West's latest find the next Vlade Divac? | Peep Show

Updated NBA Free Agent Watch

Updated NBA Depth Charts

Note: NBA Insider Chad Ford will be chatting live on ESPN.com today at 1 p.m. E.T. Click here to submit your questions.

Andre Miller's trade to the Clippers gave him a much bigger stage, brought him closer to home and gave him his first real chance to win since he came into the league. What it didn't get him was that max contract extension he was looking for.

Ironic isn't it? Miller demands max extension. Cavs don't want to pay. Miller demands trade. Cavs decide it's better to trade him now than risk losing him next summer. Miller gets trade he's looking for, but comes up empty handed.

Miller's agent, Lon Babby, told Insider that the two sides have agreed to defer talk of an extension until next summer when Miller becomes a restricted free agent.

"I think it's good to have a year's courtship before we start discussing marriage," Babby told Insider. "Most importantly, we wanted to put Andre in a position to win. I think this trade will be really good for Andre."

Babby is a realist. The Clippers already have two major financial decisions to make this summer. In other words, hell would have to freeze over twice before his guy would see a dime.

If owner Donald Sterling forks over the cash for restricted free agent Michael Olowokandi and then flows some extension love in Elton Brand's direction, things will look up for Miller next summer.

Aug. 1 is the first day that teams can re-sign players from the draft class of 1999 to contract extensions. (Yes, the Hornets jumped the gun a little bit with the Baron Davis announcement.) Teams have until Oct. 30 to reach an agreement. Last year, four players from the draft class of 1998 got max extensions (Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison) and three more locked up long-term deals for less than the max (Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, Al Harrington).

Insider takes a look at the class of 1999 and gives you the skinny on who will and won't win the lottery this summer. It will probably come as no surprise that, of the four players likely to get the max, only one, Davis, has ever played in a playoff game.

MAX WORTHY

Elton Brand, F, Clippers (No. 1 pick)

2002 Stats: 18.2 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 52% shooting

Skinny: The guy's a double double threat every night. He was the top offensive rebounder in the NBA last season. And he quieted all of the critics who claimed he could score, but couldn't help a team win. He remains a top Clippers priority this summer and is seen as a litmus test for Sterling's supposed interest in using his checkbook this summer. Expect him to command the max or close to it.

Steve Francis, G, Rockets (No. 2 pick)

2002 Stats: 21.6 ppg, 7 rpg, 6.4 apg

Skinny: There's a reason they call him Stevie Franchise. The Rockets will move quickly to lock him up to a max, six-year, $84 million deal. They do have a concern or two about Francis' chronic migraine headaches, but it looks like that's not going to slow down the extension.

Baron Davis, G, Hornets (No. 3 pick)

2002 Stats: 18.1 ppg, 8.5 apg, 4.3 rpg

Skinny: He's already inked his name to a six-year, $84 million extension. It was done, however, reluctantly. Davis tried to push the Hornets into trading him to the Clippers. When the Andre Miller trade went down, however, Davis decided to play it safe. Davis' knee was pretty banged up by the end of the season and there was a fear that an injury this season could destroy his market value.

Shawn Marion, F, Suns (No. 9 pick)

2002 Stats: 19.1 ppg, 9.9 rpg on 47% shooting

Skinny: Marion is the cornerstone in the Suns' latest rebuilding project. He ranked fifth in the league in double-doubles and was the second-best small forward rebounder in the NBA behind Kevin Garnett. He's explosive on the break and has an emerging three-point perimeter game. The Suns want to throw a lot of money his direction. The question is, will he take it? Word out of Phoenix is that Marion's not sure whether he wants to stay in Phoenix for the long term.

WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

Andre Miller, G, Clippers (No. 8 pick)

2002 Stats: 16.5 ppg, 10.9 apg, 4.7 rpg

Skinny: His numbers are definitely max worthy and you can easily make an argument that he's a better than both Francis and Davis. However, he's on a new team not known for throwing money around. If he has a big year and leads the Clipps on a nice playoff run, the money will be there for him just like it was for Mike Bibby this year. The Clippers will be forced to do something much more quickly next year when lots of teams with cap room will start throwing money Miller's direction.

Lamar Odom, F, Clippers (No. 4 pick)

2002 Stats: 13.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 5.9 apg

Skinny: A drug suspension and a bad wrist injury marred Odom's season. It's by mutual agreement that the Clippers have decided to wait another year and see if Odom can turn things around. He's the most talented player on the Clippers' roster. If he lives up to his potential this year and stays out of trouble, he'll get the max from someone next summer. If he doesn't, he'll be next year's Keon Clark.

Wally Szczerbiak, G/F, T-Wolves (No. 6 pick)

2002 Stats: 18.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 51% shooting

Skinny: Had a breakout year last season and made his first appearance as an All-Star, but there are issues. Chemistry problems saddled the Wolves late in the season and everyone knows he doesn't get along with Garnett. Szczerbiak's public demands for the max were laughed off by the Wolves. Look for the two sides to wait this out. If the Wolves were to sign him to an extension this summer, he'd be impossible to trade for the next two years. The Wolves aren't that convinced.

Richard Hamilton, G/F, Wizards (No. 7 pick)

2002 Stats: 20 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.7 apg

Skinny: Hamilton also had a breakout performance last season. He was the only consistent player of the team, but the Wizards are worried that he's not the franchise player they should blow the bank on. Hamilton's frail stature and lack of a rebounding are problems. Both sides would be better off waiting another year.

TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET

Jonathan Bender, F, Pacers (No. 5 pick)

2002 Stats: 7.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg

Skinny: He was the rawest player in the lottery and it has shown. The Pacers are still very high on him, but where exactly will he play? The Pacers are loaded at almost every position, which is why Bender hasn't seen the court time he needs to properly develop. The Pacers may try to lock him up early for a bargain price like they did with Al Harrington last year. The young kids are desperate for security and teams get to keep raw talent around without killing the cap.

Ron Artest, G/F, Pacers (No. 15 pick)

2002 Stats: 15.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg

Skinny: He's one of the toughest defenders in the league and really found his offense midway through last season. The Pacers like him but would like to wait another year to see how he fits. If Ron Artest wants security, they'd give it to him, but it's doubtful he'd earn much more than the four years, $24 million they gave Harrington.

Jason Terry, G, Hawks (No. 10 pick)

2002 Stats: 19.3 ppg, 5.7 apg

Skinny: The Hawks still aren't sold. He doesn't really have a future at the two guard position because of his size, and with new hot shot point guard Dan Dickau on board, they don't really need him at the point. The Hawks deny it, but word around the league is that Terry's available. He'll probably need to show the Hawks he can co-exist with Dickau before they make him an offer.

Corey Maggette, G/F, Clippers (No. 13 pick)

2002 Stats: 11.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg

Skinny: Maggette stepped in and started 52 games for the Clippers last season. He played well and continues to show promise, but there are just too many players in front of him. If the Clippers offer him a decent, four-year, $20 million contract, he should grab it. With Odom back, he won't have the opportunity to put up major numbers next year either.

James Posey, G/F, Nuggets (No. 18 pick)

2002 Stats: 10.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg

Skinny: Posey is another tough defender who has yet to really find his offensive stride. The Nuggets were disappointed, however, in his offensive production last season. He's been on the trading block all summer and a trade to Cleveland for Ricky Davis isn't out of the question.

Other possibilities: Dion Glover, Hawks; Jeff Foster, Pacers; Kenny Thomas, Rockets; Jumaine Jones, Cavs

Miller Time Is Also Odom's Time

J.A. Adande / Los Angeles Times

Free-agent point guard logjams

It's two weeks into the free-agent period and there are still a whopping eight teams that don't have a solid starting point guard.

Was Cavs GM Jim Paxson right when he told the media at the Darius Miles press conference that teams can get by without a solid point? Paxson pointed to a slew of Phil Jackson teams in pointing out that point guards aren't everything. The Nets, of course, disagree.

Insider made some phone calls to check on the status of each team's point guard search.

WANTED: STARTING POINT GUARD

T-Wolves: The team lost Chauncey Billups to the Pistons and still isn't sure whether Terrell Brandon will ever be able to play basketball again. That leaves the Wolves with no one at the point. The team has been in hot pursuit of Clippers free agent Jeff McInnis and has talked trade with the Spurs for Antonio Daniels. However, the most they have to offer is Anthony Peeler. If worse comes to worse, the Wolves may settle for someone like Troy Hudson if he lowers his contract demands.

Heat: The team is still negotiating with free agent Rod Strickland. The issue, right now, is guaranteed years. The Heat are looking for a one-year deal to free up cap room next summer. If it falls apart, the Heat like Travis Best, but have the same issue with the number of years they're offering. They too have talked trade with the Spurs, but their offer of LaPhonso Ellis is underwhelming. A veteran like Damon Jones or Greg Anthony may have to do the trick. Will Avery, who played for the Heat in the summer league, is another option.

Knicks: There isn't anyone blowing the Knicks away in free agency. They've shown mild interest in McInnis, but it doesn't look like he'll land there anyway. They also would love to get their hands on Nick Van Exel, but right now Dallas isn't biting on their offer of Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward. Rod Strickland is another possibility for them, if the price is right.

Blazers: They're close to signing McInnis. All that stands in their way is some pretty strong interest from the T-Wolves. If the Blazers do sign McInnis, look for Damon Stoudamire to come off the bench next season.

Nuggets: Kenny Satterfield isn't going to get it done. Mark Jackson would be a better fit as coach of the Nuggets than point guard. Which leaves . . . like the Heat, the Nuggets are reluctant to offer anyone anything more than a one-year deal. They want to keep their options open for next season. If Troy Hudson were to takes his demands down a notch or two, there may be a fit. They could get Rafer Alston on the cheap. The team is also talking to the Wizards about a trade that would send Tyronn Lue and a future No. 1 to Denver in return for James Posey.

Cavs: The Cavs turned down an Antonio Daniels-for-Chris Mihm offer Wednesday, the Akron Beacon Journal reported. The Cavs have interest in Daniels, but desperately want to move forward Lamond Murray in any trade they make. The Spurs have had interest in the past in Murray, but are reluctant to take on the remaining four years of his contract. If Daniels falls through, the Cavs may settle on a one-year guard like Damon Jones or Erick Strickland to keep the team afloat. Alston may be a nice fit here.

Warriors: They're dangerously close to the luxury tax and are leaning toward seeing what Gilbert Arenas and rookies Steve Logan and Jiri Welsch can do this season.

Celtics: The C's are waiting for the chips to fall. Right now, they have Shammond Williams and Tony Delk, who can play the point, but aren't great at it. They only have a minimum, one-year contract to offer and are hoping someone like Erick Strickland falls into their laps this year. They have their eye on Warriors free agent Mookie Blaylock and Damon Jones.

WANTED: SOLID BACK-UP POINT

Bucks: Sam Cassell is unpredictable and the team jettisoned Alston. They drafted point guard Ronald Murray, but he's at least a year away. The team needs a veteran point as insurance. They've been talking to Best for some time, but still haven't come to an understanding. There's always the possibility that they just bring Anthony back.

Pacers: The team has been trying to trade for another veteran point all summer. They like Jamaal Tinsley, but think he needs someone to share the burden with. Rod Strickland remains a possibility, and the Pacers have made contact with Alston and Jones. Don't rule out a trade here. The Pacers are stacked at small forward and would move a player like Jonathan Bender or Al Harrington for the right price. Would the Bulls part with Jamal Crawford? If worse comes to worse, they re-sign Kevin Ollie.

Jazz: Raul Lopez will be get a chance to back up Stockton this season, but the Jazz feel they need a third point guard as insurance. They took a look at Avery in the summer league and have called Jones. Strickland is another strong possibility here. Whomever they sign, it will probably be for one year.

On guard

Chris Tomasson / Akron Beacon Journal

Heat options limited at point

Harvey Fialkov / South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Plenty of suitors, still no date

Glenn Rogers / San Antonio Express-News

Sonics trying to woo Lewis back

If free agent Rashard Lewis won't come to the Sonics, the Sonics will come to Lewis.

Sonics owner Howard Schultz, CEO Wally Walker and GM Rick Sund flew to Houston to meet with Lewis and try to persuade him to take their offer of $60 million over seven seasons.

The Tacoma News Tribune is reporting that Lewis would like to make a decision by early next week. The Seattle Times, citing a few sources close to Lewis, suggested that he'd make a decision this week. Even the Mavs think they'll hear from him soon.

"It should be clearer after tomorrow," Cuban told the Dallas Morning News. Cuban is hoping that Lewis pushes the Sonics for a sign-and-trade so he can get more money now.

"If they meet, I hope the first thing they bring up is sign-and-trade possibilities," Cuban told the News Tribune. "That will be a good sign for the Mavs."

Lewis uncertain about $60 million deal with Sonics

Frank Hughes / Tacoma News Tribune

Seattle works to keep Lewis

Marc Stein / Dallas Morning News

Lewis still pondering options for his future

Percy Allen / Seattle Times

Is Jerry West's latest find the next Vlade Divac?

The reviews of Polish center Cezary Trybanski after his debut with the Grizzlies at the Rocky Mountain Revue were mixed. But the Grizzlies believe they have found a kid who could turn into the next Vlade Divac.

Trybanski, a 23-year-old, 7-foot-2, 240-pound center, averaged 6.3 points, three rebounds and two blocks per game in three games for the Grizzlies last week. While the numbers don't jump out at you, the Grizzlies like what they saw.

"He hadn't played 5-on-5 basketball in three and a half months," Grizzlies director of player personnel Tony Barone told Insider. "But we are still pleased. We feel like this kid is basically another first-round pick."

The Grizzlies must send their No. 1 pick to the Pistons next year unless they get the No. 1 pick in the draft. So, in many ways, Trybanski must take the place of a probable lottery pick.

New president Jerry West decided to forego signing a role player and instead roll the dice on a big man who has the potential to be special.

"I want to prove that Jerry West is right," Trybanski told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "I want to play like a Vlade. . . I'm very quick. I want to be stronger but I want to use my skills."

"His athleticism really jumps out at you," Barone told Insider. "He goes to the glass, is a great leaper and is very competitive. We were surprised at how quickly he jumped in there and mixed it up. "

Barone said that unlike many of the European project centers, Trybanski already has a polished offensive game. "He's got a better jump running hook than almost any big man in the league. He'll be able to score."

With Bryant Reeves put out to pasture, and just Lorenzen Wright manning the middle, there should be plenty of playing time for Trybanski. The Grizzlies, however, will take their time.

"I'm not sure he can help us a lot this season," Barone said. "He still lacks strength and needs bulk up a bit. Maybe by mid season he can start getting some minutes."

West's gamble vows to succeed

Ronald Tillery / Memphis Commercial Appeal

Peep Show

Cavs: Darius Miles is comparing himself to Tracy McGrady. "To really show his game and how good he was, he had to go to another team," Miles told the Akron Beacon Journal. "That's how I feel right now... It's my turn to bust out. . . I'm very happy to be a Cavalier right now. I'm looking forward to big things. I'm looking forward for my game to go to another level. I'm looking forward to showing the world what I can do. With the Clippers, I loved those guys and I wanted to play for them for the rest of my career. But there were so many superstars on one team. It's a good opportunity for me [to join the Cavs]."

Nuggets: Another day, another coach drops out of the Nuggets' marathon of a coaching search. Has GM Kiki Vandeweghe been watching too much survivor? Is he looking for the coach who can wait out his competitors? Jazz assistant Phil Johnson was the third candidate to withdraw his name from consideration. "Don't worry, we will come up with a good one," Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "Whoever we pick will be here for a long time. ... When we pick him, whenever day that is, everyone will relax and I will relax. But this is too important a decision to rush."

Celtics: Walter McCarty has been offered the veteran minimum by the Celtics for next season, the Boston Globe reported. Given the tight nature of this year's market, that will probably be as good as McCarty gets.

Miles ready for his turn to shine with Cavs

Chris Tomasson / Akron Beacon Journal

Jazz assistant backs out of coaching search

Marc J. Spears / Denver Post

Coaches fly away from Nuggets

Woody Paige / Denver Post

Celtics offering McCarty contract

Staff / Boston Globe

There's alot I am not sold on as far as the teams goes.But the

point is that Terry might be traded....IF they trade him it will

during this offseason because if we wait and he doesn't pan

out by midseason his trade value will be down if teams are

certian he can't play the point.

No worries, if we trade JT and don't get a bu pg in return we have Email; I mean he played alongside/ backed up Peyton right...

wait...

hold on...

oh [censored].