• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Make Your Hawks Trade Deadline Prediction

ATL_BALLER

We'll see who's right if and when BK works his magic:

ATL BALLER prediction

Philly caves and deals us Sammy D for Toine (for cap reasons, there will likely be others involved, but these are the principles).

Also, Boris will be moved - perhaps in that deal, or as part of another.

• Premium Member

I think BK will continue to confound and confuse the Atlanta press....

I predict that Smoove will not win the slam dunk contest but will be very dominant.

I predict that there will be a lot of hype but in the end, nobody gets moved.

Before it's all over, I predict that Thorn will offer us Kidd for Walker. I then predict we will try to make it a three way and find a deal for Kidd with San Antonio, Dallas, or Sacramento but to no avail.

The trade that comes to mind:

Atlanta send Walker to NJ.

Kidd goes to Dallas.

Harris/Wahad/Booth/to Atlanta

Wahad is already medical exemption.

Booth sucks us capspace but he can block shots.

Harris/Chill/Smoove/Harrington/Booth...

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.2 minutes)

Atlanta receives: Tariq Abdul-Wahad (No games yet played in 2004/05)

C Calvin Booth (2.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.2 apg in 8.5 minutes)

PG Devin Harris (6.6 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 18.0 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -11.2 ppg, -6.5 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Dallas trades: Tariq Abdul-Wahad (No games yet played in 2004/05)

C Calvin Booth (2.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.2 apg in 8.5 minutes)

PG Devin Harris (6.6 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 18.0 minutes)

Dallas receives: PG Jason Kidd (10.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 6.2 apg in 30.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +1.7 ppg, +3.8 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

New Jersey trades: PG Jason Kidd (10.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 6.2 apg in 30.6 minutes)

New Jersey receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.2 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +9.5 ppg, +2.7 rpg, and -2.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

WHY!?!?!?

u make no sense sometimes...

why would we trade for harris (and get Booth's contract) when we can just draft paul, felton or jack?

why would we not use the capspace on a BIG MAN...we need a BIG MAN more than a pg and we have more drafting options with point guards than big man...

walker should be moved for a BIG or for draft picks...

• Premium Member

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.2 minutes)

Chris Crawford (No games yet played in 2004/05)

SF Josh Childress (6.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SF Ron Artest (24.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 41.6 minutes)

PG Baron Davis (20.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 7.2 apg in 33.1 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +18.2 ppg, -3.5 rpg, and +5.6 apg.

Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)

SF Ron Artest (24.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 41.6 minutes)

Indiana receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.2 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -12.4 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

New Orleans trades: PG Baron Davis (20.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 7.2 apg in 33.1 minutes)

New Orleans receives: Chris Crawford (No games yet played in 2004/05)

SF Josh Childress (6.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)

SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -5.8 ppg, +4.1 rpg, and -5.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Indiana and New Orleans being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and New Orleans had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antoine to a contender for a first round pick and a solid, yet unspectacular player (take Lue for example), probably a big man..may also be someone with potential..

diaw stays...listened to that hawks online thing and billy

sounded as if Diaw is still a work in progress.

• Premium Member

That's what everyone was saying at the beginning of the season. "You gotta put the vets out there and let them show the young guys how to play. Playing the rookies too much will destroy their confidence."

What else...?

"Oh, we don't need to move Al or Toine, because good players will always break through the lineup..."

All because I said that we are entrusting the future to the young guys so we need to get them meaningful PT; it's what lottery teams do...and by midseason I said that Walker would be traded for just that reason. It's quite simple really, but it's funny how public opinion changes with the direction of the wind...

All that being said, I think there is a 50/50 chance of Walker being dealt. The thing about Walker is, he's a good player. He's a Scottie Pippen or a McHale or Dumars....we just don't have a Jordan, Bird, or Isiah. I really wanted to develop our young guys, so I didn't give Walker a chance when he got here; but, I can see his worth to a winning ballclub.

...and that's something we are not and might not be for a while. At which point, Walker will be out of his prime and soaking up precious salary space for us and during which time, will continue to sustain the logjam in the starting lineup.

But I wouldn't give him up for nothing. That's just too easy. If nobody's willing to give us something we can work with, then I'd just as soon make them work harder to build their team - we are in competition with the rest of the league afterall. No sense in giving our competition more firepower.

What's gonna happen?

BK looks for a blockbuster trade. Walker is blockbuster talent regardless of what we couch coaches rant about. Situations more than players dictate what gets dealt, just take a look at VC basically being handed to the nets for some token 1st rounders.

All these lateral moves, deals for late 1st rounders, and role players...those types of deals will come in the offseason. BK should make the other GM's sweat...I would. I would just as soon let Walker...walk before I gave him away.

I think Boris gets traded in a lateral move if something makes sense. Otherwise, there's no pressure to deal him. We could just leave him on the bench to rot.

I think there's a small chance Harrington gets dealt. He's young, he's got potential, he's capable. Who knows who'll come to the table for an irresistable offer.

If any deals are made, I think Delk might be included to sweeten it.

We will only trade our draft pick in one of two scenarios:

A) We trade down in the lottery because BK sees the player that he wants and knows where he'll be able to draft him at a particular spot. This is unlikely to happen until summer when we know where everybody is drafting.

B) We get a blockbuster deal thrown at us. Not Walker, Delk, Diaw, 2 lottery picks, and a get out of jail free card for Vince Carter...but something major.

Specifics...

I really don't understand all the love for Sammy D. He's a big body, he's young, but doesn't strike me as a guy that you *JUST*HAVE*TO*GO*OUT*AND*GET*RIGHT*NOW!!! Seems like a future 10/10 guy that can fill the lane and block shots. I wouldn't overpay for that unless we were in a position to win and already had our core intact, paid for, and locked up.

For Jason Kidd...? This is the right kind of thinking. You have to think big in the NBA. It's the only way things happen. I applaud Chicago for their two 1st rounders last year and Miami in their all out persuit of Shaq. They mortgaged their future, but Shaq makes them legitimate for a good little bit.

While I wouldn't mind having Kidd come here and feed Smoove, Chill, and Al all day long...and I KNOW he would make us instantly better...probably close to .500; however, he's the kind of marquee piece that you can use in a 3 way deal to REALLY get something you want. Diesel's Dallas deal looks good...and we still keep our 1st rounder. We don't HAVE to take a PG (and with Ivey, Lue, and Harris there isn't DAMN WE NEED A PG panic) and we could always use our 1st in a trade.

Wretch-

I echo your sentiments exactly. I'm not saying I love Sammy D - I just think that kind of deal will go down. And I would be content with that deal.

However, I would LOVE a three-way-deal involving Kidd, as it would likely "net" something more noteworthy, like D-Harris. There is no guarantee that Paul is coming out this year, and I think Devin has a big future. If we land him for this year, we can expedite the rebuilding process. Devin, meet Smoov. Then we draft BIG, and sign Stromile.

NJ will not trade Kidd for Walker, people. Kidd is one-of-a-kind and practically makes the Nets a playoff contender by himself....Walker, as good as he is, does not.

Kidd is the Jordan/Bird/Isaiah of the Nets team and you shouldn't trade him for the Pippen/McHale/Dumars of another team.

I see us either :

1.) Dealing AW at the Deadline for Dalembert and filler

*OR*(most likely)

2.) Standing pat with what we have and try to re-sign Antoine in the offseason.

• Premium Member

Kidd is unhappy (never underestimate that)

Kidd has questionable health issues (knee)

Kidd is getting old (he'll be 32 in March)

New Jersey is not a playoff team, RJ is out for the season, and there is no guarantee they'll be a playoff team next year.

New Jersey has a new owner, who has been cutting costs, and is preparing to move this team to Brooklyn and he just took on Vince's max deal.

A deal with New Jersey wouldn't be about talent. It would be about moving Kidd for the reasons stated above. Walker gives NJ some financial flexibility AND sign-and-trade flexibility in the offseason; but, NJ would probably want more - which they aren't going to get much of for Kidd at this stage of the game.

Dallas does this deal to get Kidd. They would probably swap Harris for Kidd straight up, but they'd have to fill in salary to match Kidd's max - therein lies the problem for NJ because they're trying to dump JKidd's salary.

Which brings us into the equation. Walker is salary relief, but NJ would want more. Dallas moves D.Harris...doesn't matter where, because they want Kidd.

This of course, is all hypothetical; not that anyone is planning or working the phones on this. But BK is working the phone lines. It's a month till the trade deadline and he's no doubt getting his game face on and holding his cards close. He's looking for a deal - a blockbuster - to further put the Hawks' name on people's lips.

I'm looking for something big to go down or we hold on to Walker till summer.

• Premium Member

For one reason, D-Harris is already proven on this level...

For a second, we would still have pick in hand....

I would trade that too of course, but there's Taft, Boone, and other projects and my personal favorite Gerald Green that could be had for that pick!

Very interesting, wretch.

If BK is looking for a blockbuster like that, He will still be looking even past the Deadline since there won't be any deal.

The more likely scenario(if we can't nab Dalembert for Antoine) is to try and re-sign Walker in the offseason for a reasonable price or let him walk thus freeing us some more capspace....Either way, we come out on top.

• Premium Member

Jason Kidd is such an incredible TALENT that New Jersey isn't going to settle for salary relief, off season trade bait, and a future 1st? I'm sure you thought it would take a superstar to get Vince Carter out of Toronto too.

I've watched this game for a LONG TIME. I know how things go. What you most expect, never comes to fruition. What you least expect comes up and bites you in the ass. Why? Because situations and not neccessarily TALENT dictate trade talks. And you never really know the situation because you never really know what's going on behind closed doors.

New Jersey is shopping Jason Kidd. What can they expect for a max player, mid season, who is quite vocal about leaving, with knee problems, who turns 32 next season? There are no teams willing to trade a Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan for Kidd and only a handful of teams that first of all are even interested in him. If this were 2 or 3 seasons ago, this would all be irrelevant. But it isn't and age is creeping up on the "best PG in the NBA."

And the most likely scenario? Us keeping Walker at the end of the season for a reasonable price or letting him walk? Isn't that what I suggested? This would happen why? Because BK doesn't get what he wants for Walker at the trade deadline. So you are just repeating my point.

This isn't a firesale scenario where BK is tearing down a team trying to rebuild it. This is a player he specifically brought in to a) dangle as bigger trade bait than JT b) keep or c) release for cap space in the off season to target some of the players he really likes (like Swift).

I see that you share the popular opinion on Dalembert. I don't. Nothing against him, I think he's a decent player; but he'll have to be re-signed and I'd just as soon throw money at someone else. Not only that, but there has to be some kind of assurance that Walker signs an extension with Philly...else they give up Dalembert for cap space and a token 1st rounder.

I don't see us taking on salary just to get this kid in addition to resigning him during the offseason. Nor do I see us sweetening this deal for Philly. All in all, it just doesn't look as enticing to me as it does to everyone else...and in all actuality, looks like something that would happen during the offseason with a SNT - not at the trade deadline, which is the subject of this thread afterall.

• Premium Member

But I suspect that BK is looking for one. That is my prediction. He brought in Antione Walker primarily because he is a capable 20/10 player that plays everywhere on the court - which simply means he has more trade value than Jason Terry. Being a hell of a player is just a bonus, which means BK also has options at the end of the season - SNT, resign him, or cap space.

Prediction:

That being said, I don't think BK is going to rush into dealing Walker at the deadline. I think he either gets what he wants or this all comes back up at the end of the season.

I am not confident in the Samuel Dalembert scenario that many are hoping for. He's a free agent at the end of the season and we'll have to pay for him. He's a big body that looks promising...like Dampier last year; and that means more big man hysteria as teams jump up with ludicrous offers which we either match (if we can, I don't think we'd have the right), we let him walk, or SNT. Philly will want more than the chance to resign Walker, but I wouldn't give them more nor would I take on bad salary for potential-potential. So if this happens, I look for it to happen during the summer. Regardless, I'd just as soon give that money to Antione Walker.

Depending upon how and who BK plans to draft, I could see him making a move for Jason Williams who is in the doghouse in Memphis. I'd love to see him run the break with Chill, Smoove, and Al. Both Williams and Swift seem to be on the outside of the Grizz's plans, so I think BK would be interested in them both...but there's something going on with Swift and his rookie contract (he signed a 1yr deal, but it also gives Mem bird rights) that might prevent him from being traded until the offseason.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams interested in Walker, but they are probably looking to get him cheap. He's worth more than what he's been dealt for and if I were BK, I'd hold out for the best possible deal - not just lateral movement or a late 1st (which we could also secure after the season); and we don't need capspace seeing as how Walker is gone at the end of the season anyway. There may be a small possibility, but I don't think a major deal is in the works. My prediction (outside of a minor move involving Diaw) is that BK will stand pat until summer UNLESS a blockbuster comes his way.