• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress & the soft Hawks

phoostal

• Premium Member

My thing is timing....

Your timing is funny. The other day when we beat the Celtics and Chills was a major reason why, where were you and your commentary??

What I believe is that we are a young team and we are going to look good some nights and bad some nights. I think that Woodson is a first time coach and just like Skiles during his first coaching stint, Woodson will make some mistakes.

We didn't hire Woodson because of BK's ego or because Woodson was a perfect coach. We hired Woodson because he had just engineered the defense of the Detroit Pistons who destroyed Shaq/Kobe using Young, Atheletic guys Like Halmilton, Prince, and Wallace. Well, our blueprint (that BK proposes) is similar. Why not get the coach that has the track record to get it done.

As far as CHills not being a 6th pick... How can you overlook the fact that Chills is not an everyday starter like Deng or Iguodala and it's really not his fault. Let me give you the skinny on the draft...

Sure things normally come in the first three picks... Everybody after that is a crapshoot. When I look at Chillz' skill set, I recognize that he has a lot to do, but I also realize that he's a good ball handler, a good BB IQ, and probably will be a good leader once we actually make space for him and the rest of our ROOKS...

The thing about it is that NO Where did anyone say... THIS IS THE YEAR...

No. This is just a year of transition and before you know it, both AW and AH might be gone...

However, we are moving forward.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and who cares that we got blown out by the Bulls last night? that doesn't make us a worse team...

we blew out the Pistons...

every team in the NBA blows out at least a few teams a year...like someone said earlier: one team has everything go their way and one team has nothing go there way, put them in the same game and u have a blowout...

and who cares that we got blown out by the Bulls last night? that doesn't make us a worse team...

we blew out the Pistons...

every team in the NBA blows out at least a few teams a year...like someone said earlier: one team has everything go their way and one team has nothing go there way, put them in the same game and u have a blowout...

i'm with wretch on one thing...if we can trade AW for a young talent or draft pick, then that would benefit childress greatly. You have Harrington and then you have to have a second option. Childress has the ability and the understanding that he has to try to become a focal point instead of deferring it. JSmith has done well on athleticism alone, it's still difficult for him to create his own shot. I actually think Childress may be better in that area because of slightly better handles.

I say if AW is traded as stated above at the deadline, you'll see Childress and JSmith's numbers jump, but you will also see a bit more turnovers..I'm fine with that as they learn.

First off I have been saying the same thing about Chill this whole year. You can ask Nicholas about that. I don't need to justify my comments now.

Woodson is BK's boy. Yes, it helps he led the Pistons to the championship. However, Woodson and Knight have been friends for years. He had the inside track to the job regardless if the Pistons won or not (for that matter good or not).

I don't care about Skiles I was comparing him to Fratello and Musselman. That is great that Skiles and Woodson are similar in your book. I was comparing him to the other two. Look what Fratello has done with Grizzlies since he took over. Pretty impresive. Granted the Hawks do not have the same talent, but how come I get the feeling they would be playing better with Fratello.

As for Chill goes, I will let off on him. I know he is still young and things can change. I realize that I'm judging him by what I see now. I will give him time. I just wish people on this board wouldn't keep pushing him down my throat as some potential star. No one knows, just like I don't know if he is going to be an average player.

I do believe for everyone that claims he is going to be a star, that I have a right to refute that instead of going along with the rest of the crowd. If guys weren't on hear telling me how great he was, I know I wouldn't be coming on hear telling you that he isn't that great. I would be just watching the games and really have no opinion on the guy.

Instead, almost every day I read something about Chill being this potential superstar. It really makes me wonder what people really know about basketball. He hasn't proven anything is my whole gripe. I think I have a more legit argument based on what we have seen. He has done nothing in his pro career to justify him being a proven star. You may post the numbers if he plays 30 minutes a game every game he will post such and such stats. Guess what he doesn't play 30 minutes a game, we can only go with what the known commidity is right now.

Also, college basketball is different from pro. Just in case we didn't know. Just because you may have been a great college player doesn't earn you anything in the pros. Chill may have done whatever he wanted in college, he hasn't done so in college. Meaning he hasn't proven a consistent jump shot or the ability to create his own shot.

Like you have mentioned let us sit back and see what happens. I won't say anything negative, if you don't tell me he is some kind of star.

As far as the loss last night. Yes, teams have those losses during the year. I wasn't happy with how the team was losing. I know Grant Long was ready to get on the court and do something about it. It was embarrassing this team showed no heart, no physical presence, and quit to easily. That is what is disturbing about the loss.

Why has no one comment on these subjects? Instead we just shrug it off as oh well. Regardless of the record and talent this team needs to make a hard foul. Get someone ejected for fighting. Show some backbone. This is what Grant Long was complaining about last night. He went on to discuss Kevin Willis as the only presence out there. It is sad when a 42 year old man is your lone representation of this particular aspect on your team.

No one cares to comment on BK's big ego. That has not allowed him to make all of the correct choices in rebuilding this team. Instead we only see all the great moves he has made, yes beleive it or not he has made some bad moves as well.

This board is suppose to be about discussion. I seldom see that. Everything seems to be one sided. That is fine. I'm not asking it to change. However, I don't think people should be crucified for not having the same opinion as the majority.

Let's talk and discuss. See all point of views instead of one. That is all I am trying to generate a discussion to look at all aspects.

P

Just my opinion.

I also have said that moving AW would free up Childress and Smith and then give us some indication about their how they fit for our future. I realize the rooks should not judged by their rookie season only but they have earned more minutes (at their natural positions) and AW's current role on this team is not helping their cause.

Frankly, I expect us to lose games. However, I was very upset with the lack of effort last night. Eddy Curry was doing a Shaq impression for most of the 2nd half because no one would touch him. Rookies can learn about effort from the leaders on the team. AW demonstrated no leadership as he looked to be phoning this game in which is inexcusable for a "star" player. We might lose a few more games this season with AW traded but I suspect we will actually be very competitive toward the end of the season. Certainly, it would be impossible to play with less effort as demonstrated from last night's game.

• Premium Member

It's not a matter of what you have said all year phoo... It's about skill set and potential... NOT what's going on in this specific game or in the first 10. When asked about why Smoove and Chillz looked like rooks in the first few games, my answer was give them 20 games and let's talk. The point is that we have to give these guys time to play...

Not that you have praised Chicago, but how long did it take Chandler/Curry to get to the point where they are more than serviceable??

The reason why is because Cartwright wouldn't play them and when they finally got PT it still took a while.

I think Smoove is the next best thing to Dominique. However, Smoove has a lot of work to do to get to that point.

Am I saying forget everything...

NO.

I'm saying that we evaluate as we go... NOT in one big pot shot.

Moreover,

What did you say about guys like KG, Kobe, and ONeal in their first year. Surely, if you watched, these guys were not taking over games. Kobe was called showboat... He would get out there and lose games. Oneal was not even allowed on the floor for long periods of time. He was playing behind Cato on a stacked PTL team. KG was a 10 mpg player and he was not what anybody would call an impact player at the time.

Phoo... The short lesson is some things take time. We would all love it if Chills came out like L. James... However, there's only one James and even he was given the team...

I am not bashing you man. I just think it is way to early to judge BK, Woodson or any of our draft picks from last year.

Just look at all the hype the baby bulls are creating now on this board and around the league. It took them three years to become at least credible.

As far as our coach goes, you cannot make a player like Walker or any bad defensive player become a great defensive player. You can encourage him to be better but chances are he will never ever become great.

I agree we are soft in the middle and until we get a serious defensive force down low we will continue to be soft.

JSmoothe and Childress could very well turn into outstanding defensive players for their positions but that will not fix all of our problems in the post.

Quote:

AW demonstrated no leadership as he looked to be phoning this game in which is inexcusable for a "star" player.

When did he phone the game in? Was it before or after we were down by 30+??????????? mad.gif

Come on, man. Be serious here! The WHOLE TEAM didn't play well AND the Bulls Team played their A-game. What that equals is 100% Grade A BUTT-WHOOPING! If you want to say that Walker showed little effort, fine. But don't go giving passes('cause it sounds you like you are) to the rest of the team!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

We should have drafted Deng because Walker will not be here next year, and we could have simply moved Al over to power foward. As for Woodson we all knew that this was going to be a long year no matter who the coach was so cut the guy some slack.

No, Josh Smith will move into the starting small forward spot (his more natural position) and Josh Childress or some other newly acquired player will start at shooting guard.

So far..

The good:

*Cleared cap space(which so far we can't give away)

*Got completely lucky Smoove was there at 17

*Traded SJax for Harrington

The bad:

*Drafted Chills over Deng

*Drafted Ivy over Duhon

*Traded Nazr(a decent center when they are so hard to come by) for a mid 2nd(basically for nothing)

*Instead of signing someone like Damon Jones or Bobby Sura, wasting our time with the likes of Kenny Anderson and Jon Barry.(Remember last season he signed Jacque Vaughn over Damon Jones and others)

*Signed Collier to more than a one year deal.

*Let Hansen go for nothing.

*Blew up the team last season with the hopes of a top draft choice, then not telling the coach and the team to tank it..Instead, we played our way to the 6th pick instead of a 1 or 2.Remember we finished one game in front of the Clips which ended up getting the 2nd choice.(Sure would be nice to have Okafur)

Not good or bad:

*Drafting Diaw..He has skills he just refuses to use them.

*Hiring Woodson..Who knows if he can coach with this bunch.

With a few different decisions we could have a team of ??

*Duhon, SJax, Deng, Walker, Nazr

*Duhon, Terry, Deng, Harrington, Nazr

You would still have Smoove, still have Donta, still have DRob to backup the 5, we would be in pretty good shape.

I think either of those easily puts you in the playoffs, you still have alot of capspace, and you still are building WITHOUT being an embarassment..You know, on draft night I was screaming for Deng , then I was screaming for Duhon, along with 4 other huge Hawks fans, and none of us are "Experts" like BK says he is..

Quote:

To anyone that says, give Chills times, he will bet better than Deng, he is 2 years older than Deng and not as good, its not even close..Deng is only 7 months older than Smoove..

Are you kidding me???? So just because Deng is older than Chill by 2 years, that makes him better than him??? shocked.gif

D,

I'm not saying he could develop into something better than he is and yes I know it takes time I don't expect the guy to come out and set the league on fire.

What I'm saying is that I don't see this potential everyone is talking about it. I don't see how he can create his own shot and I don't see this consistent jump shot. That is why I make the statements I make.

All I can go on is what I see and what I see allows me to make the statements I do on Childress.

It's not that I don't think he can develop or that it doesn't take time to develop. It's what I have seen on the floor. That is why I make those statements.

By the way I'm not praising the Bulls. They haven't done anything yet. Yes, they are improved. Let us see if they can continue this the rest of the year, before I jump on their bandwagon.

P

Quote:

Childress will never be able to get off his own shot. He will always have to have a person set him up for a shot or get offensive put backs or run the break.

WOW! Can you tell me what the stock market is going to do in the next year too?! I'd really like to make some quick money and with you seeing the future and all I'm sure to.

Quote:

Instead, almost every day I read something about Chill being this potential superstar.

I'd like to know what board your reading because the furthest I've ever heard anyone place Chill in stardom is maybe a Star, definitely not a Superstar and/or All-Star. If you ask me (which you have in asking for discussion) you're coming down pretty hard on a rookie. Chill is a ROOKIE, that means he has time to improve. Give him that time.

Quote:

No one cares to comment on BK's big ego. That has not allowed him to make all of the correct choices in rebuilding this team. Instead we only see all the great moves he has made, yes beleive it or not he has made some bad moves as well.

I'm pretty sure others have commented on this exact issue. People have commented on "questionable" moves but we move on from it because we have faith in the future and of what BK might be able to pull off. To give you a quick example: I questioned the Walker trade but I got over it because there was good rationale once I really looked at it from a business stand-point.

As for Woodson, he gets poked at semi-regularly by quite a few members on this board. WE question everything from his substitution patterns to his play-charting (or lack there-of). Still, he also is a rookie (so-to-speak). He has a little bit of a learning curve but has already done quite well. I can't count the number of times on different websites where I've seen people commenting on how ATL is no longer an "easy win". Woodson has brought us a good ways. Overall, I've liked what I've seen (well, for the most part).

I really don't know what snapped you but someone really needs to feed you some happy thoughts. WE WILL GET BETTER. I forget how the saying goes but it's something about hitting rock bottom and the only way to go is up... laugh.gif

• Premium Member

Maybe you can't see it. That's no reason to criticize him so early.

I'll tell you what I see in his skill set and you can tell me if you agree or disagree...

1. He's a very good ball handler for a guy who played the 3 in college.

2. He has a very good basketball IQ.

3. He's a damn good rebounder for someone who plays the 2 position.

4. Defensively he can stay in front of his man.

These are 4 things. Accept them or deny them, this is what I see. Now, let me share the importance of some of these.

You can't teach a guy to be a good rebounder. Rebounding is about instincts. I think this is an area where Chillz & Smoove out play most rookies in their positions. Basketball IQ can make or break a player. JT was a very atheletic player. He could hit an open shot. But as a ball handler his lack of basketball IQ killed us game after game for 5 yrs. When you don't have a good basketball IQ, others have to make up for you. Defense is similar to rebounding in that most of it is instinctual. The fact that Chillz can stay in front of his man is a good thing. I think that overall, Chillz will have to get better on defense which is probably another reason that Woodson doesn't keep him on the floor. Woodson seems to be a defense first kind of coach. BK will have to take away some of Woodson's choices by trading Al and AW or Delk. One of the best things that I have seen in Chillz is his ball handling. Recently, Chillz has looked so much better. I suspect that once he starts getting more time at the 2, we will see him being a secondary ball handler and probably running the offense....

What did we say draft night?

Quote:

We're very pleased and excited to have Josh Childress,” said Hawks General Manager Billy Knight. “We think he’ll be a good part of our foundation, a good part of our future. He adds to the athleticism of our team, the energy of our team, the perimeter shooting and the ball-handling of our team. He’ll help us on and off the court.”

Now... About Deng.. seeing that that's who you have been campaigning for.. Did you notice that Deng wouldn't work out for many teams? He wanted to have 1 workout at Duke but not let teams look him over. In fact, I'm sure that he didn't take the time to come to ATL for a workout. So since you want to play GM, let's ask...

You are GM. A player has refused to come and workout for you... Do you still draft him?

You're are a GM, two other players have come in and worked out for you and have shown you the skill sets that you think can be part of your foundation... Do you draft that guy who has refused to workout for you over these guys?