• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are they Looking at????

Diesel

• Premium Member

I just glanced at NBA Draft.net Draft board. What are they looking at?

They have Taft/Boone ranked Higher than Simien/Charlie V.

I'm sorry... Charlie V. is better than Taft. And Boone is so unpolished I don't see how he could be ranked so high?

What are the looking at?

Simien is the truth.... He was injured for a time this season but he is dominant. IF you get time, watch the Big 12 tourney and Kansas and Ok St... These guys get no press and no respect.. But a guy like Taft who is in my mind an underacheiver is ranked lottery???

What are they watching?

i look at draftcity.com and generally ignore nbadraft.net

draftcity.com has the first round as:

bogut

marvin williams

paul

splitter

felton

jack

villaneuva

warrick

deron

vazquez

diaz

wright

shelden williams

diogu

petro

fernandez

ukic

granger

graham

louis williams

kennedy winston

blatche

gilchrist

gigli

frye

mccants

jawad williams

veremeenko

turiaf

simien

there's simply no way the Charlie V. Goes that high. He's fundamental and all...but I don't think he's very 'sly' (like say Boozer) and lacks the athletic ability to truly play the 4 at the next level.

a fine college player, but I just dont' see him sticking out as anything special on the pro level...

• Premium Member

Do you watch him?

His game to me is similar to KG's. He gets rebounds easily. I watched the pitt/Uconn game (Boone vs. Taft).. I was disappointed in both of those guys but Charlie V. just keep getting board after board. He's effortless in his movement up and down the court. I see him as the type of player who would excell with a running team. I think he would have to work on his low post game a little more to be considered a pro PF BUT I think he could play the position. Sheez..If not, who wouldn't want a 6'11 Sf? He's sorta like Gasol with less polish and more atheletic ability.. way more.

Simien on the other hand... Dang. If he was 6'9 or 6'10 he'd be the top guy on everybody's draft board. Still... He dominates everybody he plays against offensively. Defensively may be another story. However, he's a throwback PF. The type of guy who you know will get you 20/10 in a smashmouth basketball kind of way if you threw the ball in to him enough. I think it's got to be more than him being 6'8 260 that is keeping him so low...

you do realize that you're using the term 'throwback pf' incorrectly? it's not the player you're describing...

I'm simply saying that I think V. is too 'routine' to truly benefit an NBA Team (in term of a starter, or full-time starter in even a few years) due to his lack of position and athleticism...

unless he's the second coming of Randolph (who defies those rules well) he's not worth a pre-20 pick.

• Premium Member

Two different players...

Simien = throwback.... ala Barkley... ala M. Malone... ala Unseld..

Charlie V. = new breed. I think V. could play 3 positions... C, PF, Sf. He has range on his shots. He is an uptempo kind of player. He needs to work on his low post game but he has a midrange game. I don't see V. as having a lack of Athleticism either??? He's quick, a leaper, block shots, runs the floor... What exactly do you mean??

Throughout the first half, if not more, of basketball, the power forward has not been the 'scorer/offensive role' that you make it out to be. Typically, the pf was more of the dreaded goon (yes I know) who grabbed boards, blocked shots, and was generall the 'enforcer.' Rodman, Laimbeer, those type players. Moses Malone, and later Karl Malone, 'revolutionized' the position to be one of more offensive skillset, thus assuming more of the 'centers' role...and, to some degree, leaving the 'center' in such the state of Limbo that it now is, with it's role varying so greatly from team to team...

• Premium Member

One of the main jobs of the PF was to rebound, but he wasn't just a dreaded goon who did everything else but score?

Elvin Hayes was a pretty good PF who could put the ball in the basket.

Willis Reed who played PF for at least one of the 3 NY championship teams.

and even our own Bob Petit.

I don't know why Petit doesn't get more Credit but he was one of the best players ever if not the best ever. I just wish the Hawks organization wasn't so racist back then... It could have been Petit and Bill Russell making up the dynasty.

Then later you get Kevin McHale, Barkley, Karl Malone and so on. I will admit that more prolific scorers come to the PF position now.. however, just like then, there aren't many teams that draw up plays for the PF position. Either the player is a scorer or not, if they can score, they will get the ball.