• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deron Williams as a shooter

lynred

Hello,

First time post but long time lurker.

Just wondering, is anyone concerned about Deron's shooting ability? He's reputed to be a good shooter, however, after looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem to be the case:

YR FG% FT% 3P%

2004-05 .433 .677 .364

2003-04 .408 .787 .394

2002-03 .425 .533 .354

Particularly disturbing is his FG and FT percentages. Also, the drop in his FT percentage from last season is signinficant. His FG perecentage was up from the previous year, however, 43 percent from the field, is in my opinion, still low for an elite PG that is considered by some on this board to be a top 3 pick.

I realize that there's more to being a great point guard that shooting, however, it is a plus when your PG is also a legitimate threat as a shooter.

In comparison, here are the numbers for the other top point guards that may be availiable:

Chris Paul

YR FG% FT% 3P%

2004-05 .451 .834 .474

2003-04 .496 .843 .465

Ray Felton

YR FG% FT% 3P%

2004-05 .455 .701 .440

2003-04 .420 .810 .313

2002-03 .398 .693 .358

Jarrett Jack

YR FG% FT% 3P%

2004-05 .514 .866 .442

2003-04 .456 .802 .316

2002-03 .455 .703 .283

Again, this is not a knock on Deron's overall game --- I think he is an outstanding player who has the ability to improve his shooting, however, there is, in my opinion, a misconception that he is a good shooter. His other skills, court vision, defense, size, etc. seem to be outstanding.

Quote:

Hello,

First time post but long time lurker.

I don't know why, but this cracked me up. Welcome to the board! Try the veal, it's fantastic.

Anyhow, yeah, I just don't see what's special about Deron period. He's pretty good, but what's so special about him? I don't see remarkable court vision, I don't see exceptional shooting, I don't see any real speed, I don't see phenomenal handles, I don't see outstanding defense. What I see is a good guard who is adequate at everything and played on a team that ran a great offense. They moved the ball well, and played as a cohesive unit more than any other team.

Perhaps I just don't see it, but I would prefer Paul, Felton, and Jack over him. To me they all have better skills than Deron in basically every single department. I am a little afraid of Paul because I think his size will be a legitimate issue. The only things I see wrong with Felton and Jack is that they haven't run an offense as smooth as Deron's. But I wonder how much of that has to do with the system they were in, and how much is the players themselves.

As far as the stats you posted, FT% is what really worries me. There is no excuse for a PG shooting free throws that poorly. And that's another reason why I like Jack. He has improved in every area, every year.

So to sum this all up, I just don't know about Deron, I guess I just don't see what's special

• Premium Member

I think you have to look at the total package and project how it will translate in the pros.

He's a 6'3 200 lb PG who is a Pass first PG that can defend and hit shots.

92-93 California 31.8 46.3 28.6 65.7

93-94 California 35.1 47.2 36.2 69.2

Here are the FG% ,3Pt%, and FT% of Jason Kidd when he was in college. Kidd was the same type of player except I think Williams may shoot it a little more.

Now.. Jack's numbers are certainly impressive. However, you have to look at the total package. When it's all said and done, I think Williams will be a better floor general/defender.

stats don't tell the whole story. Just because stoudamire had the worst game of his life doesn't make deron williams an outstanding defender. He was drained from single handedly carrying his team in the previous game.

And if shutting down Felton is holding him to 17 and 7, then I guess he did. I guess Felton is a defensive genius too because he held Deron to 17, and 7.

And Ed McCants is hardly great

• Premium Member

You're funny.. You say stats don't mean everything then you try to justify Felton with....Stats.

I saw both games...

Against Arizona, there was a reason Stoudamire couldn't do nothing.. It was because Williams was on him like Minime.

Against UNC (I think it was probably the best game since the fab 5 play UNC)... I think you have to recognize how Felton was disrupted most of the game. May carried that team. You also have to recognize how Williams hit many big shots.

May didn't carry the team because Felton was disrupted. He carried the team because that was the game plan. They had no one inside to stop him, why should Felton have done more? Last I checked they won the ball game that way. On the other hand, Illinois' game plan was for the guards to do the damage and they were unable to because UNC's D was pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but pretty good. Just like Deron's D

Quote:

You're funny.. You say stats don't mean everything then you try to justify Felton with....Stats.

When somebody has a bad night statistically, you can't tell if it's his fault or good defense. When someone has a good night statistically, you can't argue that he got "shut down". Especially when both players have the same statline.

Quote:

Here are the FG% ,3Pt%, and FT% of Jason Kidd when he was in college. Kidd was the same type of player except I think Williams may shoot it a little more.

oh come on now... deron and jason kidd have nothing in common other than the position they play and having suspect jumpshots at this same level, kidd is so much faster, more athletic, a much better passer, i mean c'mon it's Jason Kidd....Jason Kidd...if Deron was as good as Jason Kidd he would be hands down the no.1 pick in this draft, or at the very least hands down the best point guard available and pretty much everyone would take Paul before Deron

Deron isn't that quick, his shooting is very suspect, he is just pretty good at everything but not great at anything, basically he is just like Ander Miller

• Premium Member

Deron has also taken 80 to 100 more shots than those guys - even Paul. That's expected with more FG attempts. Still 40's isn't bad for a perimeter player.

FT shooting is a concern there though...

Jack is my favorite, but there are questions about his being able to run a pro offense. He's considered the least 'true-PG' of the group. Who is C.Thomas?

I think Jack will be the surprise of the group. He may not be the best, but he will be better than some of those rated above him.

• Premium Member

Chris Thomas is a guy who stayed in school too long. He's more polished than all of the guys we talk about except maybe Williams. Thomas can do it all and has proved that he can for the last three years. I think he should have came out 2 yrs ago. Now, he might be a Darius Rice like 2nd rounder...

There's no victory in staying in school.