• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Solution to Braves outfield problem?

CBAreject

Anybody have ideas on how the Braves could address the lousy production from their outfielders?

The pitching has been outstanding thus far, but it sure seems like the team would be better off with some level of production from right field. I think Jordan can hit .270 this year, so I'm not too worried about him. Mondesi, though...ick.

I was looking through the standings, and I just don't see any trade possibilities. Most teams are still in contention at this point, and the ones who are out don't have corner outfielders to trade. The Braves won't take on too much salary, so that severely limits the possibilities.

The major trading chips are Horatio Ramirez, Kyle Davies, and Andy Marte. I'd rather not move any of these guys, but we might have to. I would hate to see Davies go. Horatio is good, but I think Davies needs to move up to the bigs really soon. I think Marte is over-rated, personally. I see another gifted, but free-swinging prospect. I think he will take years to adjust to big league pitching, as Adreian Beltre did.

Those are all tremendous prospects that we could move if we had to. The problem is opportunity. Who has a good but inexpensive outfielder to trade for Marte? Cincinnati would actually like to move Wily Mo Pena, but is he equal compensation for Marte? Also, Cincinnati has Randa at 3rd, and they need starting pitching more than anything.

This is a real head scratcher. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves go with Kelly Johnson for a spell in right, as someone mentioned before.

I heard this, too. I don't think the Braves are eager to trade Davies for a player like Huff, though.

There are a few problems with Huff. First, he's not a very mobile player. Second, he's having a down year so far. I don't expect that to continue, but it is a strike against him. Third, he is not all that cheap (5 million per year). Finally, and most importantly, he's rapidly approaching free agency. This is his 6th season, but I think the first one didn't count, so he basically has another year after this one.

If he does have a big year, we'd have to pay him probably 8 next year, due to arbitration, and even more if we wanted to retain him as a free agent.

I'm pretty sure the D-Rays have already requested Davies for Huff, and we've probably said 'no'. They supposedly have interest in Marte as well. I would give them Marte, but not Davies. Davies can be a cornerstone starter for the team for a decade. I'm not sure Marte will be all that great, and he's playing the same position as Chipper, who will probably be here 5 more years.

Huff just doesn't fit. He's a designated hitter that would be forced to field a position in the national league. Atlanta can't put such a defensive liability in the field no matter how much potential his bat has.

At this point, I think Ryan Langerhans should continue getting some at bats. It seems like he has recently gotten a little more playing time, and his bat is waking up.

Also, when you have a guy like Kelly Johnson sitting at Richmond right now, posting a 1.000 OPS, you have to think about giving him a shot at some point.

The thing about Brian Jordan right now is that despite his overall batting average and OPS numbers, he is hitting around .323 with a .950 OPS with RISP. This is a guy you can count on to drive in a run if that runner is in scoring position. IMO, this is an aspect that gets overlooked sometimes.