• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another Lockout looming?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I would argue that owners care just as much if not more about making money than they do winning.

I think when you look at our ownership...

You have a few who want to win... Atlanta/Washington... Then you have some who wants to make money... Boston.

That's why I predict that Belkin will jump ship first chance if we're not making money...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you two are arguing different things.

Players often are not signed purely on 'potential' (with regard to the case of Eddie Robinson) - its HYPE.

Tell enough stories about how great a player could be, and soon enough people who havent seen him play begin to believe it. Pretty much everyone in the NBA can play, so you could always argue about 'potential'. Pretty much every player who is considered a prospect utside the NBA is a standout at whatever level of competition they play in. What results in players who have produced very little except some sportscenter highlights is all about media and public hype and mis-information. Often from people who quite simply make mistakes, who apparently know a lot about basketball. This includes people employed by NBA franchises.

Big contracts are handed out to people that dont pan out (with injury as an exception) because teams make mistakes.

I do have an issue with this in regard to the owners, because they have to take responsibility for handing out contracts to the McIlvanes of the world. How often do you hear about a team who will 'have to pay a player' because if they dont someone else will? Often enough to realise that the franchises are engaging in a competition of stupidity and that is really what is at the heart of this.