• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kwame v. Chandler v. Daly v. Swift

hotboyj

No one can talk of drafting a pg without someone saying we need a guarantee from a center. We have 4 reasonable choices between Kwame, Chandler, Daly, and Swift.

Kwame - best offensive game, good dunker, good defense, hometown kid, lots of question marks

Chandler - best rebounder, good dunker, good defense, former aau teammate of Chillz, bad free throw shooter

Dalembert - best defender, good shotblocker, good dunker, shoots freethrows worse than chanler

Swift - best dunker, good defender, good shotblocker, fill the most seats, big size disadvantage

Chicago is not going to let go of Chandler. Philly probably won't let go of Daly, and if they do, the price is going to be way too high (a near max contract plus some significant young talent in a S&T). Also, Philly fans say that Daly is basketball dumb, he can rebound, but he can't make a decent outlet pass. I not sure Swift can be that good of a power forward, let alone a center, I'd stay away from him. It's looking like Kwame by default.

• Premium Member

If there is one guy that I would put some money on, it would be Chandler. He's a guy that could break out with a change of scenery I think. His offensive game is decent, but I REALLY like his rebounding and defense. He's primed to break out.

• Admin

I just don't uderstand why this keeps coming up. All these players are basically the same. Not one of them is all-star caliber, they're ALL 4th or 5th option type players.Everyone keeps going on and on about "change of scenery" But each and every one of these guys has played on playoff teams. They've all been in the position that if they could take it to a higher level, they would get the opportunity to do so.

None of these guys are worth throwing big money at. You don't spend star level money on guys who will NOT be stars and will more than likely be 4th or 5th options on your team. We should get whoever comes cheapest or at least which ever one comes most reasonibly.

• Premium Member

I think Chandler has the *potential* to be a game changer defensively. He's not anywhere near there yet, but he certainly has the potential to be a Ben Wallace-type player on the defensive end. However, his offensive game is vomit worthy. (I wish we had that vomit emoticon thingee).

Swift will likely flee to New Orleans. It's close to home...

[Which reminds me...is anyone else impressed that a team that bad could have such an impressive core very quickly?

Dickau/Claxton/J.R. Smith/Marvin W./Stro/PJ Brown/Magloire]

Anyways, Chandler & Dalembert will be matched by their respective teams. We might as well get used to that idea.

Kwame is the only realistic option and I really don't want to offer him more than $3-4M/year; he hasn't earned it. It's a bad idea to offer $ to players who have been given PT to develop and haven't done so. That said, the Knicks will likely offer him the MLE. I say let them have him for that price.

The more you look at the so-called "big men targets," the more valuable Bogut becomes. Even if he maxes out at "Brad Miller level," he's well worth taking in light of the scarcity of good, young, available, big men. (Anyone else notice how we talk about free agents like desperately-single gay men? shocked.gif)

What about other options?

You can always make a trade. The Spurs got Nazr Mohammed for a great deal.

What about Gadzuric, Ilgauskus, or Steven Hunter? Steven Hunter played solid yesterday. Gadzuric could be a cheaper alternative, and Ilgauskus I only list because he is a possibility.

• Admin

I agree about chandler, But you don't give that kind of money to a defensive player based on potential. Even BigBen didn't get paid until he showed that he was a defensive powerhouse. I have zero problems with signing Chandler. But if it's going to take major money to get it done, I would rather pass. I do agree that Chandler and Dally will both get matched.

That leaves us with swift and kwame. I think Swift is a career backup talent level player. Kwame is a big quesiton mark. But I would take a chance on him if we can get him in thet 2-3mil per range. I think if we approach him and his agent and tell them straight up "we're not going to offer you the most money. But we'll bring you home, we'll give you opportunity and you'll have zero pressure. All you have to do is take advantage of the opportunity". I think we might can get him. If he signs with a team for a big contract he's going to ahve just as much pressure, if not more, than he had in Washington.

• Premium Member

Just being realistic...

If we don't go after a Known uFA like Big Z, Jerome James, or Swift...

I think what might definitely be a possibility is for us to overpay for guys like:

Dally, Kwame, or Gadzuric.

I think Gadzuric will be easy for us to get because Milwaukee is saving it's money so that they can keep Redd.

Kwame might be easy to get because Washington is saving it's money for Hughes.

Dally might give us some wiggle room because Philly is already over the cap and in luxury tax and ARE NOT Winning. Having to pay Dally between 7.5-8.5 Million will not be high on their list of things to do reguardless of what King Says. I know King is BLUFFING when he says Philly will match any offer. I know he is because they have not been a NY throw money at the problem type of team.

• Admin

out of the UFA's, Big Z is the only one I would go after. But he has serious health issues that have to be taken into consideration. Swift and James are mid-talent players and are not deserving of big money. Despite good performances in the playoffs, James is not likely to put up those numbers in a series.

Overpaying for Kwame, Dally or Gadz is simply not an option. I would offer Dally more money than the other two. But nowhere near the max junk I keep hearing floating around.

Players that don't contribute at both ends of the court aren't worthy of big money until they prove they will consistantly give the effort to be a Ben Wallace type player.

• Premium Member

That might be your thinking but I think BK will go after Swift.

He was going to get Swift last season but Swift was rFA. I believe BK decided that he would wait until Swift was not rFA. I think he will do the same with Curry or Chandler.

But of the rFA, I think Dally is the best Possibility for us to get simply because of Philly's financial.

• Admin

he might do just that. But I don't see him throwing big money at swift. Because I can't see anyone else doing it either. He's just not worth it. He's a 4th or 5th option player. He might have some things that BK likes, especially since he drafted him. But BK isn't dumb. He's not going to throw big money at a guy who has had 5 years to show that he's more than an 11/5 guy and hasn't done it.

I agree about Dally though. I just hope he doesn't throw a huge chunk of our cap at him. He's the only one of teh bunch that I wouldn't be disappointed if we had to pay for though.

In the RFA process, if we tender an offer and Philly comes back bigger, do we have an option to come back over the top on them with a bigger offer?

• Premium Member

Quote:

he might do just that. But I don't see him throwing big money at swift. Because I can't see anyone else doing it either. He's just not worth it. He's a 4th or 5th option player.

If we he does it, I don't think he's going to go overboard with a Swift offer. Expect something that averages around 6.5. We may be outbid by N.O. for Swift which would be OK by me.

However, if we get Swift, Expect Swift to be our Starting PF. With that, maybe we will probably trade Al to fill another need.

Quote:

I agree about Dally though. I just hope he doesn't throw a huge chunk of our cap at him. He's the only one of teh bunch that I wouldn't be disappointed if we had to pay for though.

I'm sure that Dally is a Woody guy. I don't know if BK has a whole lot of love for Dally or not. If we made an offer, I suspect it would take between 7.5 - 8.5 to start to get him. I envision a 6 yr 51 million dollar deal for Dally. Overpaying I think maybe a 6 yr 58 million dollar deal.

In the rFA process... IF we sign Dally to an offersheet, Philly has 15 days (or something like that) to match. If they match then that's it.

The thing about last year was that KMart was in a situation where NJ couldn't match. Well, they could, but they were not financially able to match a max offer. With them being sold and all and plus I don't think Thorn thought that much of KMart... So when we wined an dined KMart, I'm sure BK told him the details of our offer but KMart went with Denver who probably had the same deal on the table that we did. I think Now, Kmart wishes that he came here.

Quote:

In the RFA process, if we tender an offer and Philly comes back bigger, do we have an option to come back over the top on them with a bigger offer?

If he signs with us and they match, we have no recourse. I imagine the agent would try to determine who would make the highest offer, and then it would be up to Philly to match.

i can see us laying a bit low and drafting Bogut, keeping Drobnak as a backup, and signing another point such as Jaric...

BUT we do have money and so that money needs to be spent on making a better team. But looking at our needs and the free agents out there, they don't match. Sure we need a big man, but if we're drafting our C of the future in Bogut, why throw big money at a free agent like Daly or Chandler?

possible two answers:

We're looking at going after a lesser center as a backup for lower money, a la Kwame Brown.

or

We do indeed plan on trading Harrington and getting MarvinWilliams and using the cap money to go after the Dalys and Chandlers and Currys.

side note: i don't see us going after Allen with Chill being at his position unless indeed we plan on moving Harrington and putting JSmith there.