• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BlackHawk's Thoughts

BlackHawkDown

Many people on the site have made comments on the Mutumbo/KVH trade. Say what you want but the fact is that Deke is the only player in the league that matches up with Shaq on any level. Shaq cant just go buck wild with Deke the way he does with anyone else. Dont get me wrong Shaq beats Deke by a landslide any day but at least Deke doesn't look like a complete fool against Shaq. Obviously NJ is going for a championship this season.

Philly gets a proven scorer in KVH which they desperately need. Obviously the 76ers are rebuilding somewhat. This was a trade to relieve some pressure off AI. Plus Deke was their only real trade bait, but he was aging, so KVH gives them a player + bait in the future.

I predicted that we would beat the Nets and go to the finals I now retract that statement. This trade made us second best in the East, which is catching up with the west. We dont matchup well with the nets any more.

Theo v. Deke = Slight advantage NJ Deke can rebound

SAR v. KMart = Even: Kmart's D will slow Reef

BigDog v. Jefferson = Even: Maybe slight us; Big Dog's bad D and Jefferson's great D turn mismatch into Even

Slim v. Original Slim(Kittle) = Even: two sticks fighting

JT v. J.Kidd = Slight NJ

Bench = Toss up.

The Nets would win a series 4-2 or 4-3

We need one more player to beat the nets. That player has to be DJ aka Slim if he is mediocre we lose if he steps up then we have a chance. If DJ steps up we have a chance to win it all. Or even if Dion stop having potential and starts having results we are a much better team.

While not taking away anything that NJ did or has the potential to do, I think one has to admit that they are placing a lot of weight on the emergence of Jefferson. Granted, he's got a good game and showed in boston (where he was really the mvp) that he can play - but they're really relying on his continued development as well as that of Martin, who, up until this point, has gotten by on explosive ability, willingness to do dirty work, and being their for put backs and tip ins.

they have a very good team, but like many others, it's based on the assumption that those two will continue to develop at on a very steep learning curve.

"Shaq beats Deke by a landslide any day but at least Deke doesn't look like a complete fool against Shaq"

- thats how i feel too. Did guy watch all Nets 3 centers GO ON TOP of Shaq, looking stupid as hell. Still they couldnt contain him. Im not saying taht DEKE can, but at least he challenges Shaq and try to go after the block (looks dangerous from a fan point of view at times).

Nobody can guard SHAQ, but Deke can push him around more than any center in the NBA.

Shaq ate TIM DUNCANS sandwich for lunch, theres nothing Duncan can do.

Theres NO ANSWER to shaq, but there is a delay in getting the answer with MUTOMBO.

"BigDog v. Jefferson = Even"

thats what i think too. Everyone gives the edge on BIG DOG, and dont get me wrong... Big dog can light it up on Jefferson any day. But Jefferson is the better ALL AROUND PLAYER, which makes it even.

I agree that Deke is one of the better players in the league to match up with Shaq in the half court game the lakers would make you play in the finals...if you get there. Problem is Deke will slow up kidd and the uptempo bread-and-butter offense of the Nets that got them to the finals last year so much that they'll never see the lakers in a championship series again.

Lakers aren't in the east, no guarantee you have to go through them to win championship anyway. Use the formula that got you through to the Finals, not the one that helps you beat a team that you might not even face at the expense of ruining the chemistry that made you competitive against the other teams in the east who you HAVE to play to get to the championship.

I don't see why people think Deke will hurt the Nets' style of play. He won't be asked to run the floor, that's for Kidd/Kittles/Jefferson/Martin to do. Deke's not much of an offensive threat anyway, he could stand at the defensive end all game.

I agree with BHD on Artest. I would love to have a guy like him around here, especially if we can't sign Newble. I can see it going down as a deadline deal, especially if Indy doesn't sign a PG this summer and wants someone to help out Tinsley. Problem is, you know they would want to add Croshere and Hendu to the deal, and I don't want Croshere's contract. Hendu's is shorter, and maybe with one more injury, we could get him to hang it up next summer. Likely a dream, but...

not so much he doesn't run the floor but it takes him so stinkin' long to secure a rebound and get the ball to someone who does run the floor. Every time he gets a rebound he sticks his elbows out pivots around a couple of times, then looks, then hands off to the closest guard...who by that time has someone guarding him closely and the rest of the d is all manned up on the other end of the floor. Worked great in Lenny's walk the ball up the floor everytime style of play...

He has the POTENTIAL to be as good as Big Dog but right now, Big Dog is definitely better. Big Dog's statistics are better across the board, both offensively and defensively. Big Dog played more mpg but his stats were still clearly better. In addition, Big Dog is a 2 time All Star while Jefferson has a LONG way to go before he will even be considered for an All Star game. Don't let all the negative press about Big Dog fool you. The guy is a very good basketball player and he knows how to play the game.

"but it takes him so stinkin' long to secure a rebound and get the ball to someone who does run the floor"

at least he'll get the REBOUND! Whats better? Getting a slow REBOUND or not getting a rebound at all? T-MAC and KMART arent exactly the BEST REBOUNDERS in this league. T-MAC is just as slow as Mutombo in securing a rebound.

Also, Kidd can rebound 10 BOARDS PER GAME in any given game. He can control the flow of the game w/ or w/o Mutombo. TMAC is slow as anything, Mutombo cant be any slower than TMAC.

Traceman I am not down on big dog so much as I am up on Jefferson. Good not Great scorer, Solid rebounder, Great defender,even if the stats dont show it. Big Dog great scorer, could be a good defender if he ever put more than a grain of effort into it. Any good scorer can be a good defender. So head to Head Big Dog scores fewer points than usual against Jefferson, still outscores him. While Jefferson gets more rebounds. Thus matchup about even. Plus I expect Jefferson to be better this season than he was last year.

Cyman3 makes a good point about Todd Macollough, He isn't good enough for a nickname T-mac is already taken anyway. How could Deke be any slower than Macollough, plus at least Deke can play D.

Guest Walter

...than stand in the paint both on defense and offense and allow Shaq to stay and feel at home.

Yes, the great old guard at center is dying if not dead but its last dinosaur in Deke can be a road block to Shaq. Still better to Vlade him if you can. Deke slows Kidd by at least 1 step on the break though.

W

A passing center like Vlade is a great foil to Shaq when the Kings are on offense, I agree.

As for Deke slowing Kidd and the fast break, I disagree, it provides insurance in rebounding for Kenyon to start running down court. Deke won't ever be the one finishing the break, so assuming he learns to pass it out quickly, it should help the team (at the very least it shouldn't hurt them).

The Nets were swept with Todd MacCollough. If they want to beat the lakers they needed a decent Center. KVH was somewhat on the decline, he didn't mess well with Byron Scott and he has had a history of making the situation in NJ unpleasant, ie his run ins with Marbury. Deke may be old he may be slow and have bad hand but he is still a top 3 or 4 center in this league, he dominates East competiton and provide at least a slow down to shaq, instead of 50ptss and 20 rebound he will get 25 pts and 10 rebounds. I think both New Jersey and Philly gained in this trade.

Philly is headed in the wrong direction.Van Horn is just like Leattner

and NOT because they are both white.

1)Both had very good seasons their first 3 season or so then they

started trailing off.

2)Both have the heart of a mouse

3)Both are assholes

4)They were both the next Larry Bird and aren't half the player Bird was

even in their prime.

Van Horn is doing the same things Leattner did.

Dekes reboundinged droped to 9.1 a game.That is only

what Shareef/Wallace averaged.That isn't tearing it up

exactually for someone that is 7'2.

I still think the Nets get the better deal while Philly continues

to go in the wrong direction....Like Denburg said...Were is the

Philly team that went to the finals two years ago?

If Nets face the Lakers in the finals they will still get swept.

"Van Horn is just like Leattner

and NOT because they are both white."

- i see ur avoiding the RACIST REMARKS u may have received if u didnt add that "NOT" smile.gif how cleaver (just messing with yah)

"3)Both are assholes "

- can u explain this? Im not KVH fan or anything, but just out of curiosity... what makes him an [censored]. I got nothing against him so if hes a bad guy i would just like to know

PHILLY SHOULD TRADE IVERSON, IMO. Thats the only way they can rebuild within 1 year. Give up on his attitude problems and trade him + overpaid players like KVH for couple quality stars...

If they dont trade him, i can see them being MEDIOCRE for years and years to come (just barely making playoffs each year and not going far in the playoffs). Just like the TIMBERWOLVES should trade Garnett, i think a trade is a must.

Well he had problems with Marbury,and now it's the whole Nets

team that didn't seem to like him...There is some reason why

that is.I think it will happen again in Philly and will be part of

their downfall.

The problem isnt Iverson Iverson is the answer. Forgive the pun. Iverson is a top 10 player the best they could do is get a couple of second tier stars. If AI had another star (one that can score) to work with he would win the championship. (Stackhouse and Mutumbo dont count). Imagine AI and KG they would be unstopable. Or TMac/AI. Maybe a G.Hill and M.Miller for AI. Then KVH for a big man. Let Doc and AI talk I gaurantee it would be the end of his bad rep. I also think a Memphis/Philly trade for AI could lead the Griz to the proverbial "Promised land". Griz have too many young stars. Philly has none I think there could be a deal there.

HotlantaDude : I kinda like KVH, but your slowly persuading me to see it your way. KVH definitely has a bad attitude. He isn't very coachable. He could be, I'm not certain, but he could be a cancer.