• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When did Martell webster pass Gerald Green

Blunt91

I was looking at a replay of the Draft coverage on ESPN2 last night. Jay Bilas was saying that Martell Webster is the better "pure" shooting guard out of he and Green. Has Gerald's stock plummted over the past week or past few days? If Portland thinks he is better than Green why not just pick him with the 3rdpick rather than trade down with the Jazz? Man Gerald should have worked out against another player during his workouts for the Blazers. This might not only effect his draft position but also effect the player or players the Hawks want to obtain.

Per the Oregon papers, Martell was very impressive in his workouts and already has an NBA body (30 pounds heavier than Green for the same height). Another factor that is probably more important for Portland is the attitude and work ethic for Martell vs Green. After Darius Miles (and others), they are probably a little gun-shy. The fans there are not happy with the "bad boys."

yeti

Stuart Scott interviewd both of them yesterday on the predraft show and despite both of them were sitting down Webster didn't look to be 30pounds heavier. At best maybe 15lbs. Webster does seem a littel more laid back and more well spoken during his interview.

Quote:

I wouldn't say Martell passed Gerald. Gerald was the concensus best HS pick, now people are split

I agree, the Portland camp has hyped up Martell whereas Charlotte is reportedly ready to (possibly) take Green if Deron, Paul, and Marvin are gone.

Quote:

Jay Bilas? Wasn't he the guy that proclaimed Josh Smith a bust? Why would you quote that moron?

As much as I was pissed to hear what Bilas said, he is hardly a moron. I thoroughly enjoy hearing the replay, and am glad to watch him eat crow. Regardless, he still has insight, and is far more likely to be on the mark than not.

His criticism of Josh at the time was fair (no right hand, lackluster effort), calling him the "most likely to bust" was a little silly - since the 17th pick isn't projected to be an all-star.

This year, I'll be booing Bilas and listening at the same time.

I agree. Bilas is an intelligent evaluator of talent and is well respected. I think that the big mistake he made last year was trashing Josh in front of the whole country just after the young man got drafted, pretty much the best day of his life. I thought that was very undeserved from Bilas.

I think that his criticisms of Josh were pretty much in line with what most GMs thought of him after his workouts, which I am thinking looking back may have been intentionally bad so that he could drop to us.

I still remember last year I was very nervous about taking him and was 50/50 with taking him or Jameer Nelson when our pick came up. I am glad that Billy made the right decision, although I still believe Nelson will be a player.

Josh did have the potential to be a big bust, but to his credit he decided to go the route of hard work to make himself better..Face it, the only reason we were able to Josh at 17 was because many GM's thought exactly the same about Josh as Bilas..Bilas just made the mistake of saying it.

Quote:

Bilas is an intelligent evaluator of talent and is well respected. I think that the big mistake he made last year was trashing Josh in front of the whole country just after the young man got drafted, pretty much the best day of his life. I thought that was very undeserved from Bilas.

I think that his criticisms of Josh were pretty much in line with what most GMs thought of him after his workouts

I agree 100%. The comment would have gone un-noticed if it came in the post-draft show. It was the timing that was unbelievably rude

And if last night's show is any indication, he'll be the same opinionated guy tonight.