• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why the Hawks shouldn't deal Al in a SnT

Inside_Man

First - get familiar with the Hawks salaries so far.

Hawks Salaries from Hoopshype

Now let's add in Salim, Donta, Royal. Morris and MW and generously say that number is 6 mil, plus the 17 above brings us to $23 mil in committed numbers.

Let's say the cap is going to be 50. That gives the Hawks $27 in cap room. But since they have to spend 75% of the cap, they have to spend $14.5 mil ((50 x .75)-23).

It's not going to be easy spending that money on about 3-4 roster slots.

So with the groundwork laid...

Reason #1) if they do a sign and trade for a center with Al, then they won't use much of that 14.5 mil they need to spend. Maybe they use 2 mil of it and the rest is a substution for Al's salary. They will be hard pressed to spend it in this year's FAcy. They're better off keeping AL, and dealing him at the deadline for picks or other expiring contracts that they can spend next year. Think about it.

Reason #2) I don't buy this 'log-jam at forward' line I hear everywhere. Sure, in the long-run, somebody's got to go. But Marvin will not be ready to play 40 minutes a night next November. There's 96 minutes of total forward time available each game. That means there's 33 minutes each available for Smoove, Marvin and Al. If Marvin starts at 20 mins, there's plenty for Al, and by the time Marvin's ready for a lot more minutes, well by then it will be trade deadline time, and AL can be moved for pic/cap space.

I understand your logic, but disagree..We need a young center badly, if Al can get that for us then we need to trade him..As far as spending enough money, if all else fails, we can simply overpay a couple of veterans for one year deals.

Quote:

I agree with your logic but if trading Al is the only way we can bring back Curry then let's do it.

I don't think it is. Ironically, the way to get Curry is to try and overpay Chandler. If you can get Chandler to sign an expensive offer sheet, then once the Bulls match it, Curry will be available for much less. I wouldn't mind overpaying a little for Chandler.

Here's a prediction.

Let's assume the Hawks have no interest in BigZ and this talk was all a smokescreeb from Z's agent. If so, Z's price will fall to the Cav's if the Hawks get Dally or Chandler to sign a big offer sheet. I predict Z will reup withe the Cavs before the Hawks make they're move for a young'un, just like the other smokescreen (Allen) already has re-upped.

I think the Bulls are bluffing with Curry. They say they will match any offer, but the contract they offer shows that they are very hesitant to give him a big deal.

If this is the guy the Hawks want, IMO, they should just sign him and call the Bulls hand.

All we need to do is keep doing what we're doing. Stockpiling talent. If you have talent, cap space and extra draft picks you can always trade for what you need. You can't trade with or for anyone if you don't have those three thingsPERIOD. And we have all three. With talent like AL Diaw,two first rounders next year, and all the extra cap space we're in real good position to either aquire a player(s) and take on salary if we need to We can also broker a deal between to other teams that aren't in the position we're in and benefit. I love the position we're in

• Premium Member

Or the Hawks can simply trade for an overpriced, expiring contract like Anfernee Hardaway and also get a 2nd rounder in the process.

Tada.

Meeting the cap minimum isn't a problem; spending wisely is.

• Premium Member

I think the real question is what are you giving up and what are you getting???

I think if you consider Curry...

We are getting less than we gave.

If we get Marbury...

We are getting more than we gave.

"If we get Marbury... We are getting more than we gave." Yeah, 21 million/year more. No thanks. Marbury's contract is too high. Then you throw his attitude on top of it - I agree with whoever said it could work for 10 Million but not double that. If NY wants to pay half his salary, we'll take him off their hands but not for AL. - - I'd go for Curry as a FA, but not a SNT.

Keep Al. So we now have starters and benchstrenght at 2,3,and 4. We are rebuilding and that's a great start. Make Curry an offer and see what happens. Make Jay Williams an offer. If that doesn't work go after Joe Johnson. But there is nothing wrong with having more 2,3,4 players than can play at once. We DO need a sixth man. Let them compete.

oh well, yeti

• Premium Member

No..

I don't think we should trade for Marbury because of Salary..

I think however that if you look at the talent that we trade, Marbury is much better than Al and would probably be the best PG we could get.

As far as Attitude goes, I don't know if I buy him as being the lockerroom menace that you and others try to make him out to be...

We would be a better team, but I would rather spend cheap, build, and get a PG that can grow with our team in the draft.

I would rather get Damon Stoudamire this year.

Finally somebody has a balanced perspective on the Marbury speculation!!!

He's way better than Al, no question.

What if Stoudemire didn't get injured a year ago? Perhaps he could have taken Phoenix deep into the playoffs, or even won a championship last year.

I can't buy any argument that says he is a bad player, or that he would make our team worse. His problem is salary.

This happens every once and a while, I agree with Diesel.

• Premium Member

IS I really don't care about Salary.... UNTIL it affects the moves that our team can do.

I think Marbury would definitely make us better...

BUT when we are ready to do something, Marbury will be making 20 million dollars... and 21 million dollars. That's a concern because at that time, we will need money for the Joshes and Marvin and say what you want, we will have a lot of competition for Smoove.

A simplier plan is to get Stoudamire. He can probably give us as good offensively as Marbury... In the meanwhile, we wait on our future weather it be RONDO or Brewer. A three year deal will keep Damon around long enough to develop these players we have now and to help bring along our future PG... IF in that time we can be a C, we would be a well built team.

I agree so long as Stoudamire is ready to take a pay cut. That being said, it is not true that Stoudamire is equal to Marbury offensively.

The other reason I don't really want Marbury is that he dominates the ball too much. While we're not winning that much, I'd rather have a PG who will help the young guns develop more.

Besides, it signs like Isiah came out denying trade rumors pretty strongly today