• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Morris skipped workout today, returning to school

chillzatl

I agree, he was kinda looking like our safety valve there, now we have to get what left of the rest. Any reason why the kid just packed it in and went back to school?

I think Tubby may have problems with the NCAA if the kid violated ANY rule while testing the waters.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think Tubby may have problems with the NCAA if the kid violated ANY rule while testing the waters.

This is starting to get annoying. Tubby will not have problems with the NCAA. Morris may have problems with the NCAA but UK and Tubby will not because they are working with the NCAA right now before Morris rejoins the team.

• Moderators

Quote:

Prodigal center Randolph Morris is returning to Kentucky, sources told ESPN.com. The question now is what it will take for him to be eligible to play his sophomore season.

The 6-foot-10 center declared for the NBA draft after his freshman season and went undrafted. Since Morris did not sign with an agent he was eligible to return to college, and he and coach Tubby Smith reached agreement on his return to Kentucky.

In a prepared statement Monday, Smith said Morris asked to come back this weekend during a meeting between the coach and Morris' family. "... I told him there is a place for him on this basketball team," Smith said.

"However, the eligibility issues that stem from his NBA workouts this summer are still being addressed.
Our compliance office is assisting the NCAA as they look into this matter," Smith said. "The NCAA has been very helpful and they understand we would like a timely resolution."

Morris had individual workouts for a number of NBA teams and took part in a workout with a number of players in Chicago that was sponsored by the SFX agency. SFX also put out a statement on Morris' behalf saying that he would stay in the draft.

According to NCAA rules, Morris will have to make restitution for whatever expenses NBA teams covered in the course of the workouts. The Houston Rockets worked out Morris and a representative of the organization confirmed to ESPN.com last week that Houston did pay for Morris' expenses. The NCAA also will look into the extent of Morris' relationship with SFX in an attempt to discern what services the agency performed for him.

It is likely that Morris will have to sit out some number of games in 2005-06. Former Mississippi State forward Lawrence Roberts sat out one game last season after he worked out for Portland and repaid the expenses once he returned to his hometown of Houston.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2105549

This is a double whammy. First, Morris can't do anything to improve his draft stock. Had he been drafted, the team that drafted him would hold his rights indefinitely. The fact that he went undrafted puts him in a good position, because he can sign with anyone he wants to. Now, this brings up the whammy part for Kentucky. He can choose to sign at any time. This means that he can leave Kentucky high and dry after the first month of the season if he is putting up monster numbers and has made an NBA team take notice.

Honestly, if I'm Tubby, I'm not fooling with him at this point. Randolph Morris can do exactly what Christian Drejer did to Florida a year ago.