• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What can we give for Darko?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was watching my detroit summmer league tape early this morning and I paid attention to Darko.

I know what his strengths are and I know what his weaknesses are.

His weakness is experience. That is to say that he's a good defensive player BUT he's foul prone.

The rest of his game just needs some polish because he can do a lot of the little needed things like post up play and passing. I think he can be a good shot blocker (but that's part of him being foul prone)..

This is his first summer league and he's playing C so I suppose he will be much better this season. He's also bulked up a lot.

I wonder what we could trade (outside of Chilz, Smoove, Al, and Marvin) to get Darko?

Maybe Diaw/1st?

Depends on who the Hawks are able to obtain between

now and tip-off for the regular season.

If Hawks sign some good ones, not much. If, on the

other hand, nothing works out with our courting of

free agents and we have nothing more than we have

right now, the price would go up a lot.

Right now, it's just, wait and see what transpires.

confused.gif

Hi guys I'm new to this board. I know that most people believe that Darko is/was a bust but you have to remember that he was the youngest player ever drafted in the NBA. Right now he is only 20 years 1 month old today.

From the www.NBA.com site:

Name Birthdate

Darko 6/20/1985

Josh C. 6/20/1983 - 2 years older then Darko

Josh S. 12/5/1985 - 6 months younger then Darko

Marvin W. 6/19/1986 - 1 year younger then Darko

And to think that he has been in the league practing against big Ben for 3 years. I still do not know if he is any good or not but he is so young. I would trade Al, Boris and 1st for Darko and Carlos Arroyo.

LaMarcus Aldridge, Josh Boone, Tiago Splittler.....they have Milicic's potential, if not more potential.

I'd much rather spend the money we have this year on Joe Johnson, the only player that is worth what he will be paid that we are pursuing.

Darko has the potential to be a special player, he simply has not had an opportunity playing for a championship caliber team with a coach like Larry Brown who hates to play young guys. If we land Joe, why gamble on who might be available in next years draft if we could use that pick to get Darko?..It would be like getting our pick a year early..

however, thats an awfully huge thing to give up when you consider it could very well be the #1 overall pick. Also, I doubt that Detroit would do that because I dont see how it would really benefit them this year. Unless they really dont believe he can be a superstar, they would be fools to trade him.

Once he gets some playing time (and most importantly confidence) he is going to be special. Just watching him in that game against us at the end of last year convinced me of that.

Huh?..Why does Darko not have the "mentality" to be great? We just drafted a guy that did not even watch the nba and has been happy to defer to others in most every situation..Darko is a guy that can't stand to sit and only wants to play basketball..Why does Darko have a bad mentality, and according to you Marvin is a surefire superstar? I just don't get that comment..And, if you trade a draft pick for a very young player that would likely be the 1st big man taken if he were in next years draft what difference does it make? Would you not have traded a 1st rounder for Jermaine O'Neal? Would you have not traded a 1st rounder for a Joe Johnson? Those were 2 very young players that were given up on too quickly by their original teams..

i still do not see joe johnson playing point guard..and you're taking Chill off the court, the one person I could see being a leader IF Harrington was to be traded..

Darko? come on down..right now the Atlanta Hawks need a center and can't pretend that just because they have money, people will be begging to play for them..we're not asking for great, we're asking for solid starter..and Dark has the potential for solid..

man oh man people, Collier is probably starting to practice right now somewhere..i think i just shuddered.

u know what?

its this simple

"give DETROIT the benefit of the doubt"

They had the option to select Carmelo Anthony (the biggest college star) and Dwayne Wade (an explosive player- whos puts up Kobe-like numbers in year 2 w/ Shaq).

Theyve worked out the kid and loved his game. They liked him so much, and even some of the players wished he was able to play on their team for the playoffs (before the draft was even held and while DET was playing in the playoffs).

They liked him so much, they picked him over "sure-things" with very few question marks (like Carmelo Anthony).

and he has yet to get significant minutes.

lets not judge a player who we've barely seen play.

----------------------------------------------

in my honest opinion, Brown did not play Darko b/c

1) Detroit is in the "win-now" situation. theyre not an expansion team hoping for a bright future. they are championship contenders.

2) Brown plays players according to defensive production. if u cant play defense, ur not gonna play. i think Darko has a sweet shot (even as of rite now) but doesnt have a good feel of the fast NBA pace (something u can only adapt to w/ playing time). for that reason he's foul prone or a step too late here and there on defense.

so y play him? u have guys like Elden Campbell or McDysse on the bench and u want to win NOW... what would u do?

Quote:

in my honest opinion, Brown did not play Darko b/c

1) Detroit is in the "win-now" situation. theyre not an expansion team hoping for a bright future. they are championship contenders.

I agree, the jury is still out on Darko, I need to see him play more. I would not trade any picks on him though.

I agree. They haven't yet played their #2 pick, and they finally got rid of Larry Brown. This will be the year Darko finally gets somewhat of a chance, they're not going to trade him away. They knew he was a 3 year project when they drafted him, he isn't going anywhere.