• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rumors: Hawks offered Darko, JJ wants to come

Lascar78

NY Daily News:

Coincidentally, one week after Brown and the Pistons parted ways, Brown's former club offered Darko Milicic to the Atlanta Hawks for Al Harrington. Brown's reluctance to play the unproven second-year forward caused a rift between the coach and Detroit president Joe Dumars. Now it appears the Pistons are willing to trade the second overall pick of the 2003 draft.

RealGM:

Sources indicate that Joe Johnson is serious about wanting to play in Atlanta. They will pay dearly to acquire him, but with Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, Josh Smith and whomever they can get for Al Harrington, the Hawks would instantly have one of the most versatile young teams in the league. Johnson, Williams, Childress and Smith can each play multiple positions and their size would present a multitude of match up problems.

So I guess the main question here is would you do Al for Darko?

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew that we didn't need Al to get Curry. I wouldn't do it if it meant losing out on Curry. I don't think we can get better in terms of value or fit than getting back Curry or Darko for Al. I'd love to get both.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

found another JJ article

Deal for JJ no sure bet

Paul Coro

The Arizona Republic

Jul. 26, 2005 12:00 AM

The Suns brimmed in June with as much confidence about re-signing Joe Johnson as they would about defending the Pacific Division title.

This week, a pool of rising, nervous energy is swallowing up America West Arena. Several Suns organization staffers and others close to Johnson say they believe Managing Partner Robert Sarver will not match Atlanta's five-year, $70 million offer sheet, which Johnson cannot sign until next week after the free-agency signing moratorium was extended again Monday.

Once he signs an offer sheet, Phoenix would have a week to decide between matching the deal and saying goodbye to Johnson, a restricted free agent. Others still believe Sarver will match, but it is clear to all that he is unsure.

The Suns made re-signing Johnson a top priority this summer. They said they intended to maintain the team's core and would do everything "within reason" to do so. But this month's events surprised them.

The worst things that happened to hopes of retaining Johnson less expensively (the Suns offered $60 million for six years this month) were Seattle's and Milwaukee's re-signings of free agents Ray Allen and Michael Redd, respectively. Cleveland and Atlanta, teams with cap space, then switched their attention to Larry Hughes and Johnson.

Cleveland struck first with Hughes, a lower risk because he was an unrestricted free agent. His five-year, $70 million signing set the maximum-level bar for Johnson, whom Atlanta wants as a point guard.

The new collective bargaining agreement may have helped entice the Hawks into the fray, too. It cut the time allotted for a team to respond to an offer sheet from 15 days to seven. That would have left Atlanta's financial commitment tied up for less time if not for delays in finalizing the CBA.

Atlanta would not have become involved if it did not feel it had a logical shot, much like Phoenix's chase of Quentin Richardson last summer. Just as the Suns front-loaded Richardson's deal, Atlanta reportedly agreed to pay Johnson at least $20 million in the first year.

After Richardson (traded last month for Kurt Thomas) signed for $43.5 million last summer, Sarver declined to give Johnson the six-year, $50 million contract he desired, despite the staff's wishes. The combination of the two decisions still upsets Johnson, a teammate said.

Sarver proved prophetic in his first words to Johnson after they wound up $5 million apart last fall. He said: "Go out and have a good year and you're going to make a ton of money."

Sarver and Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo declined comment Monday. Johnson's agents could not be reached.

One talked-about scenario has the Suns telling Johnson to take their offer, banking on loyalty, or he will wind up with Atlanta because the Hawks' offer is too much for Phoenix's budget. With Johnson signed to a maximum deal, Phoenix would be close to the luxury tax threshold with just six players in 2006-07, when Amaré Stoudemire's extension would begin.

After a hometown summer league game in Little Rock last week, Johnson told KATV-TV that he would sign Atlanta's offer sheet. Asked whether the Suns were doing anything extra to keep him, Johnson told KATV: "Not really. Atlanta, they came really strong. So you know, we're going to just sit back, wait and we're gonna see what's going to happen.

"Basically, it's pretty much done. To be honest, I'm pretty much . . . I'm gonna sign with Atlanta probably sometime (next week) and we're gonna wait and see if Phoenix is going to match."

If Phoenix is certain it will not match, it could seek a sign-and-trade deal to get some compensation. But any deal for a player would require Phoenix to take on almost as much salary, although it could be for a shorter time.

Those close to Johnson felt he wanted to stay with Phoenix, which still has his image on the Web page for season ticket sales. He said he would love to re-sign when he last left AWA but added that it was a business and it would be an "interesting" summer.

Phoenix's other priority was Stoudemire's extension. Johnson's possible departure won't sit well with the franchise big man, but nobody else can give him the money the Suns can (almost $90 million for six years). It may not even please Steve Nash, who already saw a team that he felt was close to a title get broken up in Dallas.

Johnson is slated to play Friday in Nash's charity game in Toronto. Will it be his last game with Nash, Stoudemire and Shawn Marion?

I'd have to think long & hard about Darko. He's been in the league for a while now and hasn't done anything. He's struggled in the regular season & summer league. We'd be making this trade solely on the dreaded "P" word.

People say Darko doesn't get any PT b/c Larry Brown doesn't play young guys. Well it didn't take very long for Tayshaun Prince to work his way into a starting spot. Prince came out only one year before Darko did.

Essentially, we'd be trading our best player for someone that hasn't proven he can do anything at the NBA level. I have read that he's got a boat load of potential. Has anyone ever seen him display this potential at the NBA level? In the end, I'd probably do the trade, but I wouldn't do it until after we've made a decision on Curry.

Quote:

At this point, I think the only way we get Curry is with a sign and trade for Al. I wouldn't do it, unless the Bull's resign Curry and then I might do it.

btw - didn't Darko stink in this year's summer league play?

yes he did. As did chill in his 1st summer league, as did marvin in his. You have to realize that this really is the first time he's gotten to play, sadly enough. The guy is a rookie. But he still has lots of potential.

Also, I believe they can't trade Curry once they re-sign him. A SNT is one single transaction/contract, not separate signing and trading. I could be wrong. Also, it won't necessarily take a SNT. I don't see them matching a big contract on Curry, period. It all depends on how willing we are to gamble. SNT would be the surest way of getting him, but we lose a player we might not need to. We'll see if this moratorium ever does get lifted...

Quote:

People say Darko doesn't get any PT b/c Larry Brown doesn't play young guys. Well it didn't take very long for Tayshaun Prince to work his way into a starting spot. Prince came out only one year before Darko did.

First of all Prince was alot more ready than Darko. Darko was known to be 2-3 years away from success when he was drafted at 18. Prince is much older. Secondly, Prince was given a chance before Brown got there. He might not have gotten his PT if Brown was the coach his rookie year.

What you have to realize is that Darko was never given a chance. He was given real minutes in one NBA game in his career (against us) and did great. Other than that, it's very hard to succeed with 5 minutes per game. You barely break a sweat and start loosening up, and get yanked out of the game. Who knows how the Joshes would look if they had gotten 5 mpg. It took a while of them cluelessly running around before they settled down and relaxed and let the game come to them

His confidence has been shattered and he is still a gamble, but I'm more than willing to take this one too. There's a reason he was a #2 picked, because his physical skills and agility for his size are amazing.

I'd like to see him here.

• Admin

I would want them to throw in Carlos Arroyo too. We might as well get a decent point guard out of it too. Al is a proven player while Darko may become a really good player or maybe a bust. It is something to consider though. Is Darko's potential worth it? If we trade Al we better go out and grab Eddie Griffen though. He will be an adequate fill in and would come cheap.

• Admin

Darko plays the 4/5, which means he's going to have to outplay both Ben wallace and/or Rasheed wallace to get meaningful playing time. That's a tough bill to fill, 2nd pick overall or not.

Tayshaun didn't have anyone of note to outplay for minutes. He played solid D and played within the framework of the team. That's what LB needed and what he expected, so prince got playing time.

If BK has talked to the Bulls about a S&T and nothing can get worked out. Then do the trade. Hawks are already one of the youngest teams in the league. Might as well continue to add young players with potential and talent. I still believe in Boris to be a good player. I still believe Darko will too.

I think we do that deal if it is real, pending what happens with Curry and JJ..If all the reports are true and we have offered JJ a deal that is front loaded and pays 20 million the 1st year then we will not have but 4 or 5 million left to spend..We would need Al's salary to do a SNT with Chicago if BK wanted Curry..If the Curry deal never developes then I think we trade for Darko and filler and sign Zaza..If JJ gets matched we may just sign Curry outright and trade for Darko..I imagine to get Aroyo included we might also have to give up a pick, so that may not happen.

• Premium Member

It didn't take long for Tayshun to start...

It took a year and that was after proving himself in the playoffs and having nobody else that LB could put in front of him.

LB has options at C and PF so Darko will probably never play for an LB team. However, that doesn't mean that Darko lacks skills.

I like Al, I wish that there was something else that we could offer to get Darko..

But we have to look realistically at Darko's potential and his fit with this team..

Imagine:

Brevin, JJ, J-Chill, J-Smoove, Darko...

I think that team could win some games...

Then in the draft we pick up Rondo!