In reality there is nothing more Hawks can do.

hotboyj

I think it would be best that we keep all the players we have and just spend our remaining cap space on players that are cheap and have potential.

Everyone wants to trade Al, but the guy puts up 17 and 7.

He had a 17 rebound game last year.

And averaged over 7 rpg at the sf position for most of the year.

This year it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to expect around 9 rpg. Especially since he gets to play at his natural pf position. Along with a better scoring average sicnce he gets to play closer to the basket.

Sure many think he could get us a guy like Curry. But If we trade Al that means Marvin would have to start. That would make Marvin not have to earn his minutes, plus he isn't ready to contribute on a regular basis anyway.

JJ is going to be our pg.

All he has to do is bring the ball up the floor, dribble around and get free. Once the next man rotates he passes to the open guy. If no one rotates he will just shoot it himself.

Which unlike Diaw, JJ will have no problem doing that.

Better yet just get the ball up and have Chillz run of screens for shots, Smoove run back doors, or throw the ball down low to Al or Zaza. Al will get us buckets more times than he doesn't, and Zaza may be not too much worse.

Sure we are going to get some big man who hasn't gotten much playing time but lets think of realistic possibilities.

K. Perkins/Sweetney/Borchardt/J. Butler/A.Williams/Varejao/ Bender/Harrison/Ely/PJ. Ramos/M. Kasun/DJ Mbenga/

J. Tsakalidis/F. Elson/Pryziblla/Ha Seung-Jin/Cabarkapa/ Medvedenko/Skinner/Biedrins/B. Cook/R. Swift/Podkolzin/

Vroman/

Then again i was thining maybe they haven't gotten alot of playing time b/c they are rookies.

Petro/Maxiell/Simien/Lee/Bass/Taft/M. Ilic/Marty/Lorbek/ Blatche/Hervelle/Roberts/A Johnson/Gortat/Slokar

Since I don't expect Al to be traded anytime befor the last week of the deadline we would have to be trading Delk/Collier/Donta/Ivey.

None of those guy are going to make big impacts. 10 ppg would be a big miracle if we got that kind of production.

Yeah we are probably signing Lue, but how much more of an impact will he have with his maybe 10 ppg JJ leaves over.

The last deal is probably signing some poential guy like

Wang Zhi Zhi.

So what i'm getting at is from last years best lineup of

Lue/Ivey

Smoove/Chillz

Harrington/Chillz

Walker/Googs

Ekezie/Drobs

We've changed it to

JJ/Lue

Chillz/Salim

Smoove/Marvin

Harrington/Zhi Zhi

Pachulia/Mbenga

We can expect to win maybe 8 more games if we're lucky.

And then draft our big man. Sign another big and hope for playoffs that year.

Unless we get Curry and Demarr Johnson throug FACY we are still going to be a bottom 5 team.

We shouldn't get our hopes up b/c this off-season and next regular season aren't going to get much better.

Al is needed to atleast the allstar break because

the Hawks will need a second option. However, I

don't see him as a Hawk longterm if he wants a big

contract. I guess with this being a contract year

he will likely have his most productive year.

Marvin is going to have to play sooner or later

though... So I suspect that Al could be here until

the allstar break and then hopefully shipped off

for some help at center. The Hawks aren't going to

have a shot at the playoffs until they get some

help inside.

Hell no to Nene for Al.

Al is worth way more than Nene.

Sure the deal may be Delk/Collier/Donta/Ivey for Nene, but I don't think Denver will do it.

Who knows, maybe we do get Nene, but even if we do, how much more is he going to bring to the table besides athleticism compared to Zaza and worse shooting.

Like I said no matter what we aren't going to get much better unless we get Curry and keep Al.

Other than that what more can be done than bring up some guys from the NBDl, sign some unknows, or take a chance on those been written off as busts or troublemakers.

I think Nene is worth more than Al, not the other way around. Young defensive centers with a solid offensive game are pretty rare. I think Denver would move him for a solid shooter and a quality back-up center, but we don't have that to offer. It might work with Salim & Yogi Stewart(snt) for Nene, but I doubt that would do it.

• Premium Member

I believe that BK will extend Al.

Let's be honest, Al is a tweener and the market isn't going to give him more than he can be extended for. BK will keep Marvin and use Marvin/Smoove/Williams as a three headed Forward troop.

But the truth is that Al is our other scoring option and for JJ to be effective, he will need that.

I don't understand it.

Everyone seems to think Al is a tweener.

The guy just had to play out of position for most of his career.

Does anyone remember before Indiana drafted him and everyone there was talking about how physical he played.

So from the get go he was a power forward.

Al is not a 6-9 250 lbs sf. He wouldn't be able to match up with the speedy sfs. Thats why he got blown by so much last year.

And since when did Nene become defensive minded.

In the only year he started every game he played in, nene aveaged .53 bpg. A little over a block every other game.

Just b/c Marvin was drafted 2nd overall does not guarantee him sh*t.

If Al is better and Marvin isn't ready, no way I'm gonna play him just to please fans.

No way in hell I get rid of Al before Marvin has played at least half the season.

If Marvin turns out to be a long-term project, and we trade Al there goes our hopes at making the playoffs for maybe another 3 years.

I say keep Al til at least the deadline. If Marvin looks like he is ready to step in lets trade Al for a guy like Nene.

We keep Al until Marvin is ready, period.

It makes no sense to make a hole just to fill another.

How soon have people forgotten how valuable of a player Al is.

Next to a quality big man AL is a great player. He can hit the open shot. Get the tip in. Finish around the basket. Al averaged only .2 less assists than Walker. And Walker is supposed to be a great passer for a big man.

For a guy to average 17 and 7 out of position, what do you think he can do while playing in position?

If we're winning, and we're paying AL good money, no way he has a problem coming off the bench. But only to a better player.

You wouldn't be settling for Nene. Nene is the better player. He may not be the scorer that Curry is, but Nene is by far better defensively and works a lot harder on his game than Curry does.

I'd rather have Nene averaging 14 ppg and 13 rpg than have Curry getting 19 ppg and 5 rpg.

Quote:

But the truth is that Al is our other scoring option and for JJ to be effective, he will need that.

Diesel....Diesel....Diesel

What you need is understand is that things are going to change from this past season. You give Josh Smith/Al Harrington the same amount of minutes/touches, and Josh Smith would end the night with more points. Josh Smith will take the role as the number 2 option, and I'm expecting that to happen this season. Al Harrington's not a good scorer, lack of low post moves, and he's not a player we need to expect to keep around.

In the season Nene started every game he played in he averaged less than 12 ppg, less than 7 rpg, a little over a block every other game, a litttle over 2 apg, and had a season high of 25 ppg.

Nowhere does that say he is defensive-minded, a great rebounder, or any other stuff you can think of.

I think everyone here has gotten attached to our draft picks, and their ego can't be harmed by being benched, or their talent won't be developed, and all the bullsh*t I can think of.

Thats life.

If you're not good enough to start you won't start.

Al paid his dues for like 4 years in Indiana.

I am one of the biggest Smoove fans out here. And I do not expect Smoove to even be the 3rd option next year.

Al isn't a good scorer, i guess any schmuck on a sorry team can put up 17 and 7.

I guess thats why no one on Charlotte or New Orleans was able to do that.

Keep Al until Marvin is ready.

How many times do I have to say it?

Guest Walter

NeNe had 6.5 RPG in 33 MPG two years ago as a full-time starter. Also, in more MPG NeNe has averaged fewer BPG than Curry over their respective careers. Fact is BOTH Curry and NeNe can be much better rebounders. Neither are defenders with impact. Curry is light years ahead offensively!

W

Quote:

Quote:

Diesel....Diesel....Diesel

What you need is understand is that things are going to change from this past season. You give Josh Smith/Al Harrington the same amount of minutes/touches, and Josh Smith would end the night with more points. Josh Smith will take the role as the number 2 option, and I'm expecting that to happen this season. Al Harrington's not a good scorer, lack of low post moves, and he's not a player we need to expect to keep around.

Dude. Josh Smith has great potential, particularly as a weakside shot-blocker and rebounder. But, he has absolutely no offensive moves at this point. He gets points on put-backs and dunks, with an occassional jump shot. Al Harrington, even if you think he lacks defensively, is a talented low post scorer. No he is not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, but he is definitely a guy who can make a move around the basket and create his own shot. so, to say that he lacks low-post moves is a untrue statement. Dominigue Wilkins - the actual player, has even stated that Al is a good low-post scorer.

• Premium Member

Maybe when you understand basketball a little more, you won't make statements such as this:

Quote:

The truth of the matter is that Smoove doesn't have any part of his game offensively that we can rely on for points. For now, he's a garbage player. He doesn't have low post moves. He doesn't have a midrange game. He doesn't shoot from outside with consisitency. Right now ALL that Smoove is is a finisher.

Al on the otherhand is a guy with midrange and Low post game. He's not great, but he's more consistent than any of our young players. Just keep watching. Our young players will be inconsistent for a while.

• Premium Member

You're right, Al isn't going to want to sit on the bench.. However, I don't see 1 reason why he should. He's still better than both Marvin and Smoove. I say that Marvin gets rotated in at Sf/PF until he shows that he's supposed to be that. If he shows it before the deadline, then I wouldn't be against trading Al for Value. However, I doubt that he can do that. In fact, I doubt he gets the headlights out of his eyes for at least another year.

Don't expect Marvin to start. Just being a high pick

does not make him a starter. He didn't start last year.

Why would you expect him to do it this year??

Great athlete? Sure. A potential all-star? Yep, he is.

But, a starter now? No way. There are many valueable

lessons he must learn, much playing time and practice time

with his new NBA team before we can begin to expect him

to be in the starting lineup.

Will he ever start? Sure. But we must give him time.

Josh & Josh started for the Hawks last season, but not

at first. And, we were weaker last season when we

started than we will be this year.

Right now, this season's draft picks and last season's

two second round draft picks strengthen our second unit.

The stronger this unit is, the better it makes the

starting five.

smile.gif