• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hurricane Katrina

kudzu23

This storm is looking very wicked, its going to sink New Orleans and could impact gas prices, as they are a major port and the offshore rigs are abandoned. It looks much worse than Ivan from last year. Good luck to those who have to stay or are anywhere in the vicinity

kt.jpg

Hurricane Andrew eat you're heart out. Man this thing

doesn't look terrible. Considering the track it took,

it isn't that hard to believe it's a strong as it is...

I took a track that just allowed it to get stronger. This

will probably be the most costly storm in US history.

Good luck to the people that area. Hopefully it will

weaken.

Quote:

This storm is looking very wicked, its going to sink New Orleans and could impact gas prices, as they are a major port and the offshore rigs are abandoned. It looks much worse than Ivan from last year. Good luck to those who have to stay or are anywhere in the vicinity

No doubt, New Orleans is going to be sunk and is being evacuated as we speak. They are a MAJOR port and this will effect prices of everything.

It's close. It's almost 4 now (Sunday). They are reporting substainded winds in Mississippi at over 10 MPH, and gusts over 20 mph.

I think with 175 MPH Winds in the center of this thing. That will result in more damage farther inland. There is going to be severe damage over 100 miles from the coast.

As for gas prices. I'm going tonight to fill up. Might carry a gas can to buy extra. Since they didn't have time to get the oil rigs anchored down good. Gas Prices are sure to rise. Like it's not already too high now.......grrrrrrr.

I thought a catagory ive was the highest as well...but they apparently have 'degrees' therein as well? fox news and cnn both calling it a reported, "five plus" or, "five and a half".

Anyone know/recall all the variables in catagorizing? I realize that wind speed in largest (think catagory five's have to over 150 or something) but I don't know off hand.

yes, I recommend everyone go fill up tonight. A reported 25% of our nation's crude oil comes from the gulf rigs and exxon/mobile (as well as others) are reporting that they expect to lose quite a few in the wake of this storm. There's about 800 total, and I don't know how many are 'expected' to fall, but hotlanta's right in that the companies did not have time to 'move' and/or anchor many of the rigs for this storm (as they have in the past with other storms/ Ivan last year).

US oil stocks have opened for monday already in singapore and have risen $4 to over 70 a barrel. I decided to fill up as well, there's no chance gas prices will drop tommorow but rather highly likely they will rise by mid-day. I talked to my dad near pensacola and he said no one has gas. Everyone who is fleeing is using it all up too. Unless the president opens up oil reserves this will definately impact prices because the port and refineries could be shutdown for 2 weeks, and the rigs have already been down for days