• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am f'ing speechless!

Wretch

• Premium Member

Quote:

If you are entertained by 7-foot, 225-pound women from Poland who have less basketball skills than the worst NBA D-Leaguer then I guess you are one of the few people who cares.

Wow. Yeah, it "worked" on me...

I don't like the WNBA - at all. I don't watch it. Nor am I a guy who tip-toes around the PC cops (as many who know me know). But this article is just ill-worded and blatantly condescending.

Ragging on the networks and the WNBA execs is one thing, mocking these ladies for doing nothing more than playing a game they love and their fans is just sickening to me. What's really sad is that THIS is the kind of thing that people want to see, hear, and read though.

• Premium Member

No doubt. Still doesn't give him the right to dog those women like that though - especially not on a "sports news" page. Just totally classless on his part and sad on the part of SI for putting it on their site, much less headlining it (well it was, they've since shoved it down.)

Anywho, I agree with his opinion on the state of the WNBA; just not his attack on the ladies who play the game and those who look up to them.

I really don't care what people think of Jay Mohr. The point he has is a 100% correct. The WNBA sux and needs to go away. Try watching a game, I would rather watch paint dry. Think what you will of Jay Mohr, yet he is right on with the point he is making in this article.

P

You agree with his opinion because it is your own opinion, not to say it is correct. I watch women's basketball every now and then and think it is boring because I can't identify with the players. I might think differently if I was a female who enjoyed basketball, and females are roughly half the population if not more.

• Premium Member

That's about how I look at it. I don't identify with the players and I'm not particularly fond of their style of play. I have watched all of about 30 minutes of women's BBall and just couldn't get into it. I honestly don't like the WNBA...

But this guy is taking the low road. In one part, he actually says that these women have less skill than NBA develomental players. There are so many things wrong with that statement...most notably the fact that I have played against decent girl ballers and, being a capable baller myself, I know that they aren't all THAT bad.

I know a chick named Melissa...who is barely an inch over 5' and might weight 100lbs soaking wet, from the "hood" and not Poland; and she crossed guys up ROUTINELY on the court and could nail a shot from anywhere. There are more talented females out there than her, especially in the WNBA. That just highlights Mohr's poor generalization.

I'm not saying the product is good. Nor am I saying it is entertaining. Nor am I saying that all of these girls are EXCELLENT ballers...because quite frankly, I don't watch it.

But I know narrow-minded bullsh!t when I read it. It was so not neccessary to dog on those ladies like that.

I don't dog women. I actually think it is great if they have a career, instead of being a housewife. Yes, it maybe my opinion that women's basketball stinks. Yet, it is also a woman's opinion that it is good. So, it is up to you to form your own decision.

If it was such a great sport to watch and over the half of the population is female then it should be doing better than it is. Or no one cares.

Stick up for women's basketball all you want. The fact remains it is boring to watch. Statistics prove that in attendance and viewership on television. Not to mention the countless interviews done by media sources that say it is awful to watch. I would say 90% is negative and 10% is positive.

I just wish they would stop force feeding us this sport. People that like it will watch. Don't cram it down our throats telling us how great it is, when really it isn't.

Just my opinion.

P

that's the hardest part and where most of us don't know how to react.

ok, honestly, I don't care. I think it's neat to note the names from time to time, maybe even catch who wins the whole thing...but I dont' watch it. I don't go to games. I get tired of it being hyped as much as it is a lot of the time...(though not really at the NBA allstar game, go figure)...

so what do you do? Is it good that its there? yeah. does it provide good role models and generally encourage a previously neglected women in sports/ as professionals persona~ yes, it does.

so...even though I do'nt watch it, don't care, think on a strictly financial basis it's a money drain...I can't deny it's positives either. So you know what...keep it on. I won't watch it any more or less than I currently do...but who knows, I might have a daughter one day...and I'd take her to games. in the meantime, if it's on...I'll simply excercise my freedom to change the channel.

Jay Mohr is entitled to his opinion, but to people who say that the WNBA must go ... i think there are more sports out there that are more unwatchable: fishing, outdoor games, bowling, etc. I'm not a fan of X-Games, but you don't see me saying that it needs to be off the air.

And to say the WNBA players have less skills than D-league players is absurd. Mohr is getting confused between skills and athleticism. Skills are shooting, dribbling, playing defense, etc. Athletic ability is running, jumping, etc. I'd take Sue Bird over any D-league player in terms of skills.

I actually payed attention to the whole women's basketball thing since the beginning because my sister is a baller and a fan. The quality of play in the WNBA has gotten much much better. For those who think it is unwatchable now, it was worse back in the day. Womens' basketball in the US has come a long way and i think they are on closer to their male counterparts in terms of skill more then the public thinks.