• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you trade Marvin for Frye or Bynum?

hotboyj

• Moderators

I have the same reservations about Marbury's long-term overpriced contract that I did during the previous discussions of him. I also don't think that Lee or Frye will be more than role players so I would not give up on a standout like Harrington or a potential star in Marvin for that deal.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bynum is gonna be good but,unfortunately, he's WAAAAY Young and has a lot of bumps to take before he can ever really be considered "NBA READY".

I don't think the Hawks would benefit by trading for a guy who in turn is going to spend 2 or 3 years on the bench...

David Lee is gonna be a stud; just call it a hunch.

I wish everyone would stop on the Marvin bashing; he's yet to play "Game 1" of his NBA career and we're already writing him off and looking for ways to trade him.

Marvin does a J-Chill this year and next season is doing big things... I feel it~!

• Premium Member

Chicago wanted Lee and Ariza.

NY wasn't going to send them Lee or Ariza...

LB is so high on Lee, that I wouldn't be surprised to see Lee get a lot of minutes at PF. The team is high on Ariza.

Lee said that he wasn't surprised to see Chicago bid on him because he said that Paxson would have drafted him...

• Premium Member

It's really bashing the makeup of our team.

We have 5 Sfs and no Cs and a couple of pseudo PFs...

Marvin was picked but there's no difference in what Marvin Brings and what we can get with Al or Smoove. Marvin is not 6'10. So, he's the odd man out. Before it's all over, there will be trade talk about Al and Smoove too. However, it's not a blight against the player, it's a blight against the team's philosophy. The league is laughing about our 6'8 squad. And now, the ones who are basketball knowledgable are beginning to say that this team has talent, but we will get Killed in the frontcourt....

Why not talk about trading for a C?

Why are we talking about trading folks before the season has even started? And who the hell is talking about trading a #2 pick before he's even got a season under his belt? That is idiotic. There are a handful of centers I would trade Marvin for right now, and none of them have been named (nor would a GM trade me any of the centers on my list).

• Premium Member

Hell, if I could trade Delk/Collier for Olowakhandi or Foyle, I would do it quickly.

However, let's talk about talent and let's talk about what we can get.

Bynum hasn't proven himself in any arena, so I wouldn't trade somebody with Marvin's supposed value for him...

However, let's say we had the chance to get Brad Miller or Al Jefferson for Marvin, I would do that.

• Premium Member

That's just the problem Crawdaddy..

When will Marvin get to play.

The worst case scenerio for most Hawks fans on this board is if Al plays up to his potential and becomes a 20/9 PF while being the complimentary inside player to JJ. There are many so-called Hawks fans who wish that we would just trade Al so that he doesn't have a chance to play beside JJ (to make room for Marvin)... However, I'm of the belief that Al's game can mend with JJ's game nicely.

The real question is where does that leave Marvin?

Unless he's KG, I think that leaves him on the bench... And being that Al is young and Smoove is younger.. I don't see there being any real time for Marvin. He will be a glorified BU...

Diesel, I think you misjudge most fans' attitudes. If Al blends and manages to get 9 boards a night (yes, that's the much more important stat for him than scoring), then we keep him. We figure the rest out as we go along.

Smoove's got the hops and the rep, but lacks the all-round game (as of now). He decides to rest on his laurels...you know who's going to be pushing for his job. Smoove wins out, becomes even better...hmm, that scenario is really two + years away.

I love the fact that we have three potentially 'very good to better' players battling for two spots on the floor. you have to earn your job.

If Marvin pushes Al out (or Smoove does, however you want to characterize it), it won't be this season...and will likely only mean one of three things: we have an excellent team with one of them serving as a go-to bench player. Someone gets hurt/ doesn't work out/ we end up trading one of them (two full seasons from now) because they have tremendous value.

Honestly, I'd love to have the 'problem' of Al figuring out defense, getting nine+ boards a night. I have no problem not playing/starting Smoove, Williams, whomever...especially if its because the other two starting ahead of him is THAT GOOD.

Al's fate rests in his hands. True, it's a tenuous position, one where he can't 'stat/ball hog' and disript continuity and flow, nor can he overly defer to his younger 'new' counterparts...

but it's a great position for us to be in right now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I love the fact that we have three potentially 'very good to better' players battling for two spots on the floor. you have to earn your job.

We created this problem by drafting Marvin. Now, had there been no other need on the team and no other players worthy of the talk, I would agree with you... But our needs going into the draft were simple. PG & C. The two hardest positions to fill in the NBA. There were two high quality, battle tested PGs in the draft... We passed up for Marvin and Marvin is not guaranteed to be better than Smoove or Al... That's a problem.

Now, I would halfway accept the Marvin pick IF... Al made it clear that he was not going to resign with us or IF JSmoove wasn't the type to progress... However, neither of those are true. I think what bringing Marvin in really has done is create a spot for contention down the road. Players are not stupid... Unlike the average fan, the Player can read through the GM's BS (and their agents make sure that they do)...

I think the Bottom line is this. For the next Year, Marvin will be another project player. Either BK will decide to trade Al or to resign Al. There's a lot of pressure from the fanbase to trade Al now... However, what happens when Al becomes a great compliment to JJ.

Interestingly enough Weez, I notice that you placed a condition on Al's play. You said that "If Al blends and manages to get 9 boards a night (yes, that's the much more important stat for him than scoring), then we keep him."... That's BS. I suspect that Al will be 20/9... However, If he was 24/8, I would still say resign him. I think you have to look at the total contribution to the team. If Zaza comes in and get 11 rpg... I wouldn't be mad with Al having 7-8 rpg... I don't think we will be a bad rebounding team so what Al does in his rebounding is not the end all and be all... That's just pure BS... I think you're trying to create a reason to trade Al.

Yes, I place a condition on it. Al has shown he can score, here and before. Being able to rebound , even last year when we were bereft of a center, has never been his strong suit, nor has blocked shots.

he could average 15 and 10 and I'd be much more excited than his averaging 22/8 (under most scenarios).

Also...we gave ourself leverage in the Al situation. Don't want to overpay him next season...what better bargaining chip does a GM have than someone like (possibly) Marvin or Smoove waiting in the wings.

We increase our ability to resign him and at the same time put the organization in a stronger position. Doubling that, Al knows exactly what he has to do to 'earn' that extension, which will be more than he gets paid anywhere else...it's put your money where your mouth is time.

And in many ways, that can be viewed as a win win situation for Al.

• Premium Member

Quote:

instead of getting a pg that's too short and got burned by the taller ncaa points, or a pg that may or may not have looked better due to the ballhandlers around him

I won't say nothing about your comment on Paul.... Because if you even watched NCAA basketball, you would know that Paul is special and he is the ONLY reason Wake Forest was competitive.

BUT...

What are you trying to suggest about Deron? "May not have looked better due to ball handlers around him"?? What the hell does that mean. Is that something you just made up??

The season is almost here, so there's no need in getting into a shouting match on how much better Deron will be than Marvin... We can just watch and see... However, you are such a mark... Listen to yourself?

Quote:

we went out and got a top 10 point guard in the nba

First of all, JJ is not a pro PG and has never been one. He has played the position for a few moments in games when Nash was tired, but he's no top ten pro PG. He may be a top ten pro SG... However, there's a huge difference. Moreover, if there were no Chilz, JJ would be our top ten pro SG... So you do the math here...

Is he a PG by circumstance?

I would say so.

I will go along for this ride, but sooner or later, I know we will have to make some changes and the mistakes that we have made will come back to visit us...

• Moderators

Quote:

Why not talk about trading for a C?

I am pretty sure Knight would love to trade for a C if he could get one. I'd love to see an Al for Magloire trade come to pass, but we'll see what happens.

Quote:

We have 5 Sfs and no Cs and a couple of pseudo PFs...

no C?

have u not heard that we signed ZaZa?

he played 11 TIMES more mins at center than pf last year for the bucks

in fact, the reason they didn't resign him was because he's NOT a pf...they have bogut/gad at center so can't use him if he's only a center, which he is...if he was a pf, they woulda kept him

Quote:

I won't say nothing about your comment on Paul....

ok...

Quote:

Because if you even watched NCAA basketball, you would know that Paul is special and he is the ONLY reason Wake Forest was competitive.

lol...knew u couldn't resist or keep your word for even one sentence...

btw, even the media ranked jj top 10 amongst pgs, so it's not just some fantasy that this board has

bk says he's a pg

jj says he's a pg

sekou said he's gonna be a good pg after watching camp

the media ranked him top 10 pgs

i know u are on a crusade against playing jj at point and drafting marvin, but u will be found as wrong on both of those counts as walter was on childress

While I agree that drafting Marvin Williams wasn't the best idea, I am still willing to give him time. According to most articles and scouts Marvin has or can develop a all around game. He already has pretty decent handles and is suppose to be a good shooter and rebounder. The only thing he lacks is upperbody strength and and postup game. I agree that we should keep Al Harrington if he averages anywhere near 20ppg this season. I wouldn't make any trades at all during this season. I wouldn't offer Al a long term contract. I would only offer him a 3year deal, if he doesn't want that then I would look to do a sign and trade. I think Marvin should come off the bench for the next 2years then in the last year of Harrington's extension we could trade him and let Marvin in the starting rotation. I have a hunch that either Childress or Josh Smith won't be on the Hawks longer than there 3year deal. We aren't going to be able to offer long term contracts to Childress and Smith and still be able to to resign our other draft picks like Marvin(If he is the real deal) and Salim when it's time for them to get bigger deals. I wouldn't worry about us not getting Chris Paul or Deron Williams in the draft. You can always find a good pointguard in any decent draft.

I think that Billy Knight got Joe Johnson because he is a good player who is young and has a chance to be a star in this league. I don't think in Billy Knight's mind that he actually thinks Joe Johnson will be the type of pointguard to lead this team in the future to a title. That was just some BS he told the onlookers to quiet them from making references that we already have Childress at the 2guard and a plethora of 6'8 Forwards on the team. I think JJ will be good for about 5apg. My statline for Johnson this year is 18.5ppg amd 5apg.