• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New NBA DRESS CODE!

cyman3

• Moderators

Quote:

Jay-Z started wearing suits long before he became a team owner (last year I believe).

Agreed. I am just asking why that isn't part of black culture when prominant hip hop figures are wearing suits, including those involved with the NBA.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the dress code is racially motivated at all. black players arent the only players who dress 'relaxed' at games/events (yao, nash, dirk to name a few) this, as someone said, has to do with money. the NBA hopes that the perception of someing being professional based upon the way they dress will drive many middle-aged fans back to arenas (bringing their kids with them) and spending money. this change is not racial.

the headphones part is dumb. its not like a player is going to speak to the media/fans just because they dont have headphones on now. if i were a player i'd probably still wear them to the games and just pay the fine. i agree with Weez, music does help get you into a 'zone'. that rule is just plain dumb.

in the past i spent two days arguing with people on here on what the NBA implemented this summer that is racially motivated, but i dont want to get into that again.

the dress code, is simply a dress code. the race card cant be thrown around all the time. we (Blacks) lose crediblity when something occurs that really does have racial undertones.

...and hip-hop culture is not just Black anymore. many other races are influenced by hip-hop. hip-hop may have been originated by Blacks, but its influence has expanded making it more than being just a part of Black culture.

Quote:

Quote:

Now, is this a small way of the league inching their way in, and getting the headphones banned? So many athletes now, listen to headphones before a game. You see them entering the arena, or getting off a bus with headphones in. This could be considered a dress code misconduct. The headphones no doubt show a form of dress.

Headphones are banned, except for in the lockerroom. It's easy, if the players don't want it they can play somewhere else. If they play the in the NBA they are representing the NBA and their team. As such the league and team, their employers, have the right to set rules of conduct. I don't know how many here have jobs, but in mine I can be fired for conduct outside of work because I represent my company at all times. Not just when I am in the office. You don't like what your employer is doing, you go work somewhere else. Salaries in Europe are still more than most people in AMerica will ever make. Not bad if you just have a high school diploma.

I get some bother when people try and link the NBA to their

line of work.

The NBA is ENTERTAINMENT. It's geared to entertain people.

Is that what your job does? The NBA is different than the

average persons job.

Btw, suits and ties suck. I wouldn't wear one if I was a

rich person.

• Admin

I don't think you know what you're talking about. TV ratings have nothing to do with "kids going to the game". Attendence was at its highest level in years last season. So obviously there are lots of people going to the games. The NBA is back on the uptick here.

As I said, don't comment when you don't go to games and admittedly, don't watch many on TV.

Quote:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. TV ratings have nothing to do with "kids going to the game". Attendence was at its highest level in years last season. So obviously there are lots of people going to the games. The NBA is back on the uptick here.

As I said, don't comment when you don't go to games and admittedly, don't watch many on TV.

Ratings are down across the board for the NBA. Attendance means little to next to nothing. Most arenas have capacities of around 20,000. It the TV viewership & commercial sponsorship that drives David Stern and the NBA - and they are the ones making the dress code a necessity

The NBA is still way behind the NFL, NASCAR and probably

MLB. When I look in the crowds at that are at the games

on TV I don't see that many teens. I got nephews and nieces and none of they're friends seem to like the NBA much either.

But you know, this is Georgia and not a pro basketball

state so that factors in aswell.

"

The NBA is back on the uptick here."

It's improved, but I think it's along way from being

popular again.

the only crowds you see on tv are the people with the best seats, the richer people. There are PLENTY of kids and teens at games. Also last year attendance was at an all time high.

Also you can't compare TV ratings of Nascar and NFL because they are so different. A NFL team has 15 regular season games, not 82, of course they get higher ratings, same with the shorter playoffs. Nascar also.

MLB is a fair comparison, I don't know who does better, but I would assume it's the NBA

every sport is better than basketball. basketball is crap. the hawks' players are worse than everyone else's in the league...

are you talking about attendance at games or overall % of capacity. quite a difference given stadiums vs. arenas..Nascar too.

kids and teens don't buy the tickets, adults/their parents do...so point your finger at whomever you'd like, but ti's not the kids deciding to go or not go (for the moste part).

Quote:

every sport is better than basketball. basketball is crap. the hawks' players are worse than everyone else's in the league...

are you talking about attendance at games or overall % of capacity. quite a difference given stadiums vs. arenas..Nascar too.

kids and teens don't buy the tickets, adults/their parents do...so point your finger at whomever you'd like, but ti's not the kids deciding to go or not go (for the moste part).

It's pretty much a fact that The NFL and NASCAR are better

off right now. I think the NBA is probably running neck

and neck with MLB, but I don't think it's doing better.

Of course parents buy tickets, but there just doesn't

seem to be alot of interest from what I'm seeing. Then

again as I said Georgia isn't known as a pro state. If

I lived in LA or Sactown it might look different.

I haven't said basketball is crap in a longtime. Don't

put words in my mouth please.

This is a professional league. The players should look professional instead of looking like some damn gangbanger from the ghetto.

I go to a professional school. On the days we don't have a lab, we are required to wear a shirt and tie to class. The reason is because we are a professional school and should look like professionals.

So, I've got absolutely no problem with this.

Quote:

please, what a cowardly cop out. So wearing a suit or simply dressing nice is the dress of "old white men". But wearing childish, oversized fube crap is the dress of "young black men"? Give me a break... what an ignorant thing to say.

Heyyyy now. I work for a major men's clothing retailer, and I can't tolerate slights against FUBU. Fubu is one of the few suitmakers making stylish wear these days (especially if you consider their tuxedos! wow!)

To prove that Fubu makes some classy suits, here is a picture of yours truly (a few years and a few lbs back):

piece1.jpg

Classy. The burgundy tie (100% silk, a bit of sheen to it) is also Fubu.