• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atl. Hawks @ GS Warriors:Preview

RAHMOR

Coming off the worst season in franchise history and still recovering from the death of Jason Collier, the Atlanta Hawks and second-year coach Mike Woodson know turning the corner won't be easy.

The Hawks get their first test of team unity when they open the regular season on the road against the Golden State Warriors.

The 7-foot Collier, who started 44 games for Atlanta last season, died of a suspected heart problem on Oct. 15. He averaged 5.7 points and 2.6 rebounds in 70 games last season, and his death leaves a void in the paint on a team that finished with the league's worst record.

``Times like these teach us to cherish every moment we have and be more appreciative of the people in our lives,'' Woodson said. ``That's why I think it's important for our team to stay close together right now. We need to huddle around each other a little more than usual right now.''

Zaza Pachulia, signed as a free agent from Milwaukee, will be Atlanta's starting center. He averaged 12.9 points and 7.4 rebounds in eight preseason contests.

The Hawks' biggest offseason move, however, was acquiring guard Joe Johnson from the Phoenix Suns. Johnson averaged 17.1 points in 2004-05, and should help improve an offense that was 28th in the NBA in points (92.7) and 21st in field-goal percentage (44.1) last season.

Atlanta also added promising youth to the mix by drafting Marvin Williams and Salim Stoudamire. Williams was the second overall pick out of North Carolina, while Stoudamire was chosen with the 31st pick from Arizona.

Stoudamire hit 50.4 percent of his 3-point attempts as a senior and looks to improve the Hawks' league-worst 31.2 percent shooting from 3-point range.

Josh Childress and Josh Smith also will be counted on to pace the Hawks' uptempo attack. Childress averaged 10.1 points as a rookie last season, but posted 14.5 points in 30 games after the All-Star break. Smith put together a highlight reel of dunks in averaging 9.7 points in 74 games.

As a tribute to Collier, the Hawks will leave his No. 40 uniform in his locker during the season and players will wear black shoulder patches on their uniforms.

The Warriors have high expectations after finishing 2004-05 with 15 wins in their last 20 games. Golden State hasn't made the playoffs since 1994, but having Baron Davis for a full season could help change that.

Davis fueled the Warriors' run down the stretch after being acquired from New Orleans at the trade deadline. Davis averaged 19.5 points and 8.3 assists with Golden State, and the club's scoring average jumped from 95.2 points per game to 105.4 after his arrival.

``Bring it on,'' Davis said of the pressure of getting Golden State back to the postseason. ``We're looking to have a positive season and a positive outcome. We have the talent, we have the personnel to do it. ... I definitely see that burden being lifted.

``It's a mental block (losing), but for the most part when you want to win and you start experiencing winning and winning streaks, you get upset when you lose and it feels bad.''

Alongside Davis is guard Jason Richardson, making the Warriors' backcourt one of the strongest in the NBA. Richardson averaged 21.7 points in 2004-05 and has seen his scoring average increase in each of his first four seasons.

Forward Troy Murphy was one of nine players in the league to average a double-double last season with 15.4 points and 10.8 rebounds. He'll again complement forward Mike Dunleavy on the perimeter, as Dunleavy averaged 13.4 points and shot 38.8 percent from 3-point range -- second on the club to Murphy's 39.9 percent.

Like the Hawks, the Warriors are excited about one of their draft picks, forward Ike Diogu. The ninth overall selection out of Arizona State, however, is recovering from a broken left hand and likely won't make his debut until mid-November.

``If we put him out there, he's got to know where he needs to be,'' Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said. ``He's got to get in game shape. He's been running, but he's got to get in shape. We're a little bit light on big guys. So Ike gives you a little different flavor there as far as a guy that's a big physical guy.''

The Warriors have won the last six meetings with the Hawks.

PROBABLE STARTERS:

Hawks:

F Smith,

F Al Harrington,

C Pachulia,

G Johnson,

G Childress

Warriors:

F Dunleavy,

F Murphy,

C Adonal Foyle,

G Davis,

G Richardson.

2004-05 SEASON SERIES: Warriors, 2-0.

LAST MEETING: March 12; Warriors, 105-92. At Atlanta, Richardson and Dunleavy each had 22 points, and Davis added 20 as Golden State built a 25-point lead after three quarters

Warriors: Preseason 2-5. Last win-106-96 over Phoenix

Hawks: Preseason 3-5. Last win 104-90 over NO/Okla Cty

-

Contra Costa Times - Just when it appeared everything was falling into place for the beginning of what is supposed to be the Warriors' breakout season, one of their most important players is limping out of the gate.

Shooting guard Jason Richardson missed his second straight day of practice Tuesday with a sore left knee and might not play in tonight's season opener against the Atlanta Hawks . Richardson said his knee has been bothering him throughout training camp but got to a point last week where he could "barely walk."

That being said, Richardson said he will be in the lineup tonight.

"I'll play," he said after Tuesday's practice. "I've worked too hard this offseason not to be able to help my teammates. I just have to take a couple of precautions."

While Richardson said he is playing tonight, Warriors coach Mike Montgomery wasn't so sure.

"It will be a game-time decision," Montgomery said. "His knee hurts. If he can't go or be effective, he can't play. If he's not effective, we're better off not going with him."

Maybe Hawks 109 GS 87

If Jason Richardson doesn't start I believe we have a great chance at a blowout. The only advantage they may have if any is at the guard position. No disrespect too JJ and Chilz but J Rich is nice and so is B-Diddy. Our advantages are at the forward spots. Noone on their team will be able to deal with Jsmoove, Al and Marvin especially with Ike Diogu not playing. So long as our 3 fowards shot are falling we should dominate. The center position is probably a wash but I admit I know almost noting about the Warriors centers. I'm excited about geting my first chance to see JJ defend against a great point guard.

I think Al will be the MVP of this game.

This is the Recap from last year's game

The Golden State Warriors ended their eight-game road trip in record fashion.

Mike Dunleavy and Jason Richardson each scored 22 points as the Warriors made a franchise-record 18 3-pointers in a 105-92 triumph over the Atlanta Hawks.

Entering with a 3-4 mark on their longest trek in 30 years, the Warriors fell one successful 3-pointer shy of the league record set by the Hawks on December 17, 1996, when they sank 19 at Dallas.

"I don't know if we could have shot any more than we did," said Golden State coach Mike Montgomery, whose team attempted 33 3-pointers. "When the ball is coming from inside to outside like (it) was tonight, it's a little easier to shoot it. Obviously, you're going to win the game when you shoot the ball like that."

Dunleavy was 6-of-7 from the arc while Baron Davis made 6-of-10, including Golden State's only 3-pointer of the fourth quarter with nine seconds remaining.

"It's all rhythm," Davis said. "When you're playing against a team like that, it's hard for them to match up with that because everyone is running to the 3-point line."

"I think collectively, we took good shots," Dunleavy said. "They were all drop-kicks. In the first three quarters, we were pretty solid as far as shooting the ball and knocking down the three."

But in the final 12 minutes, the Warriors were just 1-of-8 from the arc, leaving them just short of tying the all-time mark.

"If (the players knew about the record), it might have changed their thinking," Montgomery said.

Derek Fisher had three 3-pointers, Richardson added two and Troy Murphy one for the Warriors, who used an 11-0 run late in the first quarter to rally from a 24-17 deficit and take the lead for good.

The Warriors, who fell one short of the mark for 3-pointers in a quarter with nine in the third period, previously sank 16 shots from the arc twice, most recently against Phoenix on March 17, 1997. Through three quarters, they were 17-of-25.

"(Sixty-eight) percent from the 3-point line at the end of the third quarter. That's kind of hard," Atlanta rookie Josh Smith said. "We were kind of shocked that people were knocking down 3-pointers and the way it went down."

According to Hawks guard Tyronn Lue, even the officials were in awe of the Warrior's proficiency from the arc.

"They said, 'I can't believe (the Warriors) were shooting the 3-ball. I've never seen anything like this,'" Lue said.

Davis had 20 points and eight assists, Fisher chipped in 15 and eight rebounds and Murphy nine and 15 for Golden State, which had lost three of its previous four games.

The win capped a 13-day, 6,951-mile trip for the Warriors, who won four games on a road swing for the first time since October 29-November 4, 1978.

"I think everybody is anxious to get home," Montgomery said. "(The win) will give us a good feeling for the first couple of hours. It's just a long trip."

Rookie Josh Childress had 18 points and 11 boards and Al Harrington scored 17 for the Hawks, who failed to post their first winning streak of the season.

Atlanta snapped a 13-game slide Friday with an overtime win at Toronto but has not won consecutive games since taking three straight from April 9-12.

The Hawks have lost six straight meetings with the Warriors.

Key Hawks player last performances against GS

J. Childress 18 pts. 11 reb. 3 ast. 7-15 shooting in 37 min

T. Lue 8 pts. 4 ast. 2 stl. 4-11 shooting in 27 min

J. Smith 6 pts. 6 reb. 6 blk. 5 to. 2-4 shooting in 26 min

A. Harring 17 pts. 7 reb. 3 stl. 2 blk. 8-17 shooting in 35 min

J. Johnson(w/PHO) 24 pts. 4 ast. 0 to. 8-17 shooting in 41 min

Z. Pachulia(w/MIL) 15 pts. 5 reb. 6-8 shooting in 27 min(non starting)

• Premium Member

I'll Say 92-87 Hawks.

I believe our advantage is at C and Sf... However, I think we should get into a running game with them. I think if we run, we can delete some of their advantage mainly because Dunleavy doesn't fit well with BDiddy and JRich when they run. If we try to force them into a half court game (like last time) they will beat the bejesus out of us... JRich being sore makes some differenc.e The other difference maker is JSmoove. How will JSmoove come in. If he comes in, Blocks some shots, rebounds, and scores when he can, he will be most effective. IF he comes in thinking that he's great and that plays ought to be ran for him... Then we're in trouble...

I am usually optimistic, but with the turnovers from the preseason....the lack of defense, the youth ....and Joe trying to get comfortable running the team AND provide scoring....I don't know how we win this game.

Am I off base?

I hope so.

Can't wait to see the Hawks....the season is finally here.

Thinking on things more, and reading about JRich's 'injury'...I'm hoping Chill guards Dunleavy a decent amount of the time (heady player on heady player).

This leads me to say put Smoove on JRich...but this scares me as well. JRich will be hanging on the perimeter even more, and that's not a place for Smoove as of yet. Doubly so, I don't want to get JRich into a rythm...

I think we've got a decent shot, jsut have to limit the damage Baron does...

Vol I think last night was ridiculous. The first problem I have is that we lack a go to player. When we were getting killed in the 3rd JJ was sitting on the bench. I would like to see him demand to be put back into the game. Kobe would have, Jordan would have. I'm not saying JJ is as good as either of those two but he is supposed to be.

Next is Woodson. How can he let our starter play more minutes in preseason than in the season opener. I don't know what he was thinking last night. Ty Lue is not the answer at point for extended periods of time. He should never be allowed to be on the floor at the same time as Salim because Salim needs open looks and Ty can't get it done.

Next is Big Al. He needs to be recognize better where the double team is coming from and make the right pass. JJ also needed to step up and take command at some point during the game. I can't make excuses for either of these guys because of injuries because J-rich was supposed to be injured and look what he went out and did.

Next is Childress. He obviously needs to put on more weight and get stronger. His performance was disappointing and had me dreaming of Luol Deng.

Let me say I'm far from giving up on this team I'm just disappointed at the 2nd half TOTAL collapse. There were more negatives than I care to cover and there were plenty of positives as well.

Go Hawks!