I am hearing every excuse in the book:

Only 4th game

A lot of new faces

Takes time for chemistry

New coach

Young team

Collier's unfortunate death

Assistant coaches

You name it I have heard every excuse in the book why this team continues to fail. I have a feeling I will be hearing the same excuses on the 80th game of the season.

I want to make a couple of points. Take a look at Pheonix...with the exception of 2 starters they have an entire new starting lineup and bench AND THEY DON'T HAVE AMARE....Not only will they win they will probably make the playoffs and to top it off our so called sorry young player (Diaw) has impressed everyone in that organization and is playing like a late 1st round pick.

Look at the team we got beat by last night the Lakers.....With the exception of 2 players (Kobe and Lamar) they are all new and young (Kwame, Smoosh, etc.)...guess what....they are winning.

If Atlanta doesn't beat Charlotte and New Orleans I am convinced that this is an organizational problem. I truly feel that we have the talent to win at least 25 to 30 games. So far we have lost to 3 inferior talented teams (Lakers, Clippers, Portland). All 3 of these teams are not as talented as the Hawks and yet we continue to lose.

• Admin

But the comparisons aren't valid in any of the instances.

Pheonix may have a bunch of new players. But their two most key players are vets. Their most key player, their PG, is also a vet and a former MVP.

The lakers situation mathes the above. Sure they have lots of new player. But their two key players are vets who have played their roles for years now. Everything revolves around both of those players. When you ahve that core, you can add in new faces easily.

We don't have a proven PG, we don't have a proven, solid core that has played together. We don't have a clearly defined leader or person who the offense can flow through cleanly.

And i'm sorry. I like our team. But we DO NOT HAVE TALENT. We have potential. Which may someday become legit talent. Right now it's just potential though.

• Premium Member

have a clue. I will stand toe to toe with anyone on this one. BK is NOT a good GM! He has done nothing but tear this team to shreds. Everyone talks about how this team is going to be rebuilt. There has been NO improvement. Chillz can't shoot a lick, Harrington is a tweener, Smoove is laaaazy, Zaza was a decent pickup, and it is hard to screw up the #2 pick in the draft, I like JJ but let's see some leadership with that fat contract.

BK unlaoded:

Rasheed Wallace

Shereef

JT

Pryz

Nazr

Look what a job Joe Dumars did with the Pistons, no he ddin't tear the entire roster down to rebuild. I bet he is still laughing his ass off over the Rasheed deal. The Bobcats are way ahead of the Hawks. The Hawks are still the laughing stock of the NBA!

Quote:

BK unlaoded:

Rasheed Wallace

Shereef

JT

Pryz

Nazr

sheed: wasn't resigning here that summer as UFA

reef: would be gone by now and wasn't winning games for us

jt: doesnt win games for us

pryz: we don't know if he wanted out or bk didn't want him, and he still hasn't shown he's better than zaza or worth crying over

nazr: bk's worst move, but only cause we could use a backup center, and he's a decent backup center

NONE of those players are difference makers or have a chance at taking us to a championship

instead, we now have

jj

al

chill/smoove/marvin/slim/ivey/donta potential

zaza

all are young; all have great potential; all could be part of our core leading to a championship

it's not that bk is a bad gm, it's that u are too impatient

we are in year 2 of rebuilding; our longest tenured guys are chill/smoove

wait till the team has the same players year in and year out before expecting wins

• Moderators

The responses pretty much sum it up, but look at it this way. If you could start your team from scratch and be a playoff team 2 years later then you'd have 10 teams doing that every year.

We have nothing in terms of proven nba talent except JJ. Even Al was a bench player on a good team and only has one year as a go to guy. Its about talent and experience.

I'm disappointed not that we are 0-4 but that we look like crap and we look worse than last year. But every new group has struggles. If they aren't playing better in 2 weeks then I'm really concerned. BK is just planting seeds and he's done a good job so far. Our last 4 draft picks MW, Salim, Chill, and Smoove are all playing big minutes for us (what other team is in that situation) and they are all players that we could trade if we wanted to.

I think what we can give BK credit for is at least putting us in a position to acquire talent. Even with JJ signing a big contract we still have a low payroll. The other major signing has been Zaza, which has proven to be a steal thus far.

Most of our contracts are easy to deal with. If any of our young players do not work out we can either trade them or simply not resign them. At least we don't have a high pay roll and go to the lottery every year.

That being said, I am losing more and more confidence in the idea/experiment of playing guys out of position. Also, BK has brought in his fair share of losers at this point, but at least he hasn't signed any of them for more than two years.

Quote:

So far we have lost to 3 inferior talented teams (Lakers, Clippers, Portland). All 3 of these teams are not as talented as the Hawks and yet we continue to lose.

Ummm, no. All those teams are more talented than us. 3 of those are currently in the top 6 seeds in the west. Look at the combined record of the teams we've faced so far.:

LAC 4-1

GS 3-2

LAL 3-2

POR 2-2

TOTAL: 12-7 (.631)

That's crazy. Other than portland, those other teams are pretty good. Especially the clips and warriors. Both teams are significantly better than last year

Here's hoping we find a way tonight...