• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Woody Poll

Lascar78

It seems that the butt whooping last night has generated whispers of woody's firing, and some even calling for BK's head.

The question is, would you fire Woody at this point. A related question is whether you think Woody can become a good coach. Is this a case of a guy with a horrible team who needs time, or a guy who is incapable of coaching an pretty bad team?

I'll also ask whether you think BK should be canned. I don't think too many people think that at this point, but let's find out.

If you're a lurker, quit lurking and vote

I'm willing to give Woody a temporary reprieve, because I think the biggest problem is a lack of the right kind of talent in the front line (by the right kind of talent, I mean big guys who can play defense). Having said that, however, I am mystified that Woody hasn't given Batista, Edwards, and Thomas more playing time in order to at least try to solve the problem.

I guess it really boils down to consistency. I guess changing my tire every time the road gets bumpy does not work for me. I say that to say, you have to take the growing pains. I hate to see us loose. I was with all this change only because I was tired of us getting to the second round of the playoffs and loosing. That was just getting on my nerves. So now what, 50 players and 5 coaches later we are begging for what we used to have. How do we get back there? Do we keep applying band aids, do you put your kid up for adoption because they are failing in school. I don't think so. I think we let the wounds heal. Let the growing pains occur. You have to find a way to put the fire under the people. Don't fire them. Start docking pay or something. Make people want to play or coach for another reason if winning a game does not work for them.

Woodson needs to be fired...as far as I can tell, as a coach he is the most inept that ever stepped onto a court. Please hire someone that can develop talent, and put the right lineups on the floor.

I think BK has made some bad choices, for one taking Childress with the 6th overall pick, and then taking Marvin over Chris Paul, both of those were huge mistakes, but I think he needs a little more time.

• Premium Member

If Woody gets fired, it's the biggest screwjb ever. Woody was given teams that Phil Jackson couldn't win with...

Still.

If Woody has lost the respect of his players, he has to go.

I don't know. I don't know what's going on behind the closed doors...

But I do think that if Woody still has the ear of his team, then he should be given til the offseason to prove his worth.

• Premium Member

Woody can be a part of a great coaching team. Though, I do not believe he has what it takes to become a good coach. He'll find another job as an assistant.

Is he at fault for our problems? Is he the right fit for us? Well...is anyone really going to bat for him? Anyone? The truth will come out once he is gone.

To hell with consistency...

Consistency IMO is only important once you find a workable formula, or are close to it. Until then, you have to keep experimenting and changing things. The problem is, what if we've got the wrong guy trying to exeriment with our players? Could be... How long do you want him to tinker?

At the same time, is he simply not recplaceable? Does he bring something essential to the project? I don't think so. At a bare minimum we make an even swap with a new coach. If we were to bring in someone like, say, Paul Silas...we know were at least getting an experienced guy to run the show. Honestly, I say do it now so he can get his system in with these guys before the break.

Run it.

Knight is doing his damn job. He's done more good than bad and in 2 1/2 years has given us...

JJ, Smoove, Salim, Al, and ZaZa. Good players. Some may consider the Childress or Williams picks mistakes, with others available, but it is a dangerous game betting against lottery picks in their early years... This coming from someone who adamantly preferred Luol Deng and Chris Paul, to the choices we made.

Let's say Chill and MWill turn out to be damn decent. It's not impossible. Let's say our draft picks turn out to be mid - late 1sts of little or no significance. What remains that is so SO terrible that BK has done?

???

Clear mistakes are one thing. But minor bumps are another. I do believe passing on Paul is a mistake as of today. Tomorrow, Marvin may blow up into the next KG or Nique. Chill is only a 2nd year player...and struggling behind more aggressive players (just like the beginning of last season). It just isn't reasonable to close the door on him right now. Especially if we have a coaching issue...? Could be...

Too many questions to put it all on Knight, and the poll clearly shows the same opinion. I'm giving him this season and the summer to put something together...and I'll give him another demerit if he doesn't fire Woody and bring in Paul Silas.

Quote:

Woody can be a part of a great coaching team. Though, I do not believe he has what it takes to become a good coach. He'll find another job as an assistant.

I agree. Apparently he was an excellent assistant coach. And perhaps after another stint as an assistant, he will have matured enough to be able to become a good head coach. But as of today, he is flat out bad, and I can't see him maturing into a good to great head coach by the end of the season

On the one hand, having a merry-go-round of coaches isn't going to develop the type of continuity the team needs. I think Mike is a good young coach.

On the other hand, the team obviously lacks an identity at this point.

I understand the importance of the team playing defense, but the desire to play defense should not outweigh what the team's strengths are. This team is built to be a running team, and I just don't think that is the identity that is coming across right now.

I know one thing for sure though. Billy Knight should not be on the hot seat, and I highly doubt he is on the hot seat right now.

I'd like to dump Woodson and bring back Eric Musselman. He did very well with our summer squad a few years back. I think his Golden State failure had more to do with personnel then coaching.

I too think BK has assembled a team talented enough to win. I'm not saying we have all the pieces but we have enough. I feel that Chillz regression coupled with Diaw's statements are Woodson's responsibility.

Using Terry Stott's as an example perhaps a coach's second chance allows them to learn from their past failures. I believe Stotts did a terrible job while he led our team. His offensive sets were horrible with DJ hanging on the three point line. He also couldn't sub effectively to save his life. Look forward to today and he's got Milwaukee cruising.

I'd like to think Mussellman has the same ability. Perhaps even Woodson can adjust his second time around but for now boot him please.

Musselman is a great motivator, which may be what this team needs more than anything. Would he be an option now or only after the season though? How many times have you seen an assistant from another team hired during the season to coach another team?

What happens if the Hawks make the move and go with Bob Bender as rumored, and he actually does well?