• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NEW Espn Article w/ mention of Marvin Williams

DeacKillsaDevil

Quote:

Kobe averaged 3.4 points in the December of his rookie season.

tmac averaged 6 points and 3 reb in December of year one.

KG - 6 points and 2 reb in December of year one.

Isn't it too early to tell?

Absolutely not. They were high schoolers. Marvin's one year of experience at UNC, during which he was not brought in to disrupt UNC's obviously working system -- means that he should average no less than 20 points and 10 rebounds per game. Anything less is UNACCEPTABLE!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

You seem to forget that I could care less what other people think. My opinion is the only one that matters to me.

Then why don't you create your own board and you can spam yourself to your hearts content? Why are you constantly hyping Marvin if you don't care what anyone thinks?

That is totally bassackwards.

Quote:

They simply wanted to criticize the Hawks for something, so they took the approach that Atlanta didn't draft for need. Of course, they would have used that against Atlanta in due time, when Marvin is blowing up as a young superstar in the league. They would then be talking about the "typical Hawks, always passing on potential for instant gratification".

This is pretty much true. On a related note, I have yet to see the media gurus laud BK for his amazingly insightful pick of Boris "Magic" Diaw. I mean, the guy is clearly one of the best players in the NBA, right? So let's give BK his due, and trust him w/rt the Marvin pick!

They will just lie as well.

I never said Druck would be a great quarterback. You can go back into any archive and see that. It was never said by me.

Once again, since this is always brought up and lied about by other people, I only said Druck was a better option than Jay Fiedler.

• Admin

but we're talking about POTENTIAL. Nobody said "Marvin Williams will be a superstar". They said "he has the potential to be a star". That's a damned big difference. Marvin may be an excellent player. The chances of him being a superstar are slim though.

Chris paul may not be a superstar either. But he's a star, ALREADY, and he's a rookie. He's a top 5 PG, as a rookie. His defense (the big ? EVERYONE had about him) is NOT bad. TO make it worse, WE NEEDED A PG. We could have gotten a guy who may well end up being one of the best PG's ever, and we passed on it for potential. Potential that the GM himself pegged at 15-20ppg. Sorry, that IS NOT a superstar. Chris pauls impact NOW, as a rookie, dwarfs any 15-20ppg player in the league.

Where you make yourself look bad is by cracking jokes about chris paul, a guy who is doing it TODAY and going on to hype up marvin beyond any reasonable level.

Damon Stoudamire put up 19.0 PPG and 9 APG as a rookie. What's his career looked like since then?

I like how some of you look at the numbers Chris Paul is putting up and automatically put him into the Hall of Fame, when his numbers pale in comparison to Stoudamire's rookie numbers, and Stoudamire has been a below average point guard for his career due to size limitations.

Chris Paul has similar size limitations. I remember Minnesota fans blasting their management for drafting Kevin Garnett over Damon Stoudamire while Garnett was averaging about 6 points and 2 rebounds per game during the early part of his rookie season.

Chris Paul's career will essentially mirror Kenny Anderson's career in the long haul, because Kenny is the one player that is the most similar in size, athleticism, and skill. Anderson is a little taller than Chris, but they are almost identical nontheless.

I could care less that Chris Paul is averaging right at 16 points and 7 assists per game right now. That's not important. What's important is what these players will be doing 2, 3, 4 years from from now. The player a lot of teams are going to regret passing on is not Chris Paul. It's going to be Danny Granger, who I think has the second highest upside in this draft to Marvin Williams.

• Admin

Both Stoudimire and Anderson had very good careers. Anderson might have been one of the top points of all time were it not for injuries. Stoudimires game changed when he went to portland. Prior to that he was considered an exceptional talent. he proved that his rookie season wasn't a fluke. So I don't think your point, whatever it was, holds water.

17/7/6/2, as a rookie... You just make yourself look foolish by trying to downplay what he's doing and what he would be doing for us, simply because you like marvin. Nobody is saying he's a lock for teh HOF. But the potential is obviously there.

We needed a PG and could have gotten one of the brightest PG prospects to come along in years. But we passed for a guy who plays a position that we're stocked at, yet he's playing behind Josh Smith? Much like Childress before him, he was supposed to be more ready.

The only people who will look foolish in 2-3 years are those that have been clamoring for Chris Paul, all 5'11" of him.

In 2-3 years years, there isn't a single one of you Chris Paul nuthuggers that will be thinking we should have taken Chris Paul over Marvin Williams.

I said it before the draft, during the draft, after the draft, and will say it now. I would have taken Marvin Williams with the #1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, no questions whatsoever, and in 2-3 years time, Milwaukee will wish they had taken him.

Quote:

I don't remember seeing anyone outside of Chad Ford lauding Darko Milicic as the #2 player in that draft.

Like I said though. Many of you are going to act like you never criticized Marvin when he's putting up 24-25 PPG, 8-9 RPG, 3-4 APG, while shooting a high percentage from the field and behind the arc, getting to the free throw line and shooting a high percentage, and playing lock down man up defense.

Marvin Williams will be a top 10 NBA player in 2-3 years. Chris Paul won't be. That's why taking Marvin was better than taking Chris Paul, not to mention the fact that Paul doesn't fit what the Hawks want.

I am on your side with the "no bashing Marvin", but this statement is just plain asinine.

Quote:

Quote:

You seem to forget that I could care less what other people think. My opinion is the only one that matters to me.

Then why don't you create your own board and you can spam yourself to your hearts content? Why are you constantly hyping Marvin if you don't care what anyone thinks?

That is totally bassackwards.

Keep in mind he replied to a post that was already started by a Marvin basher.

I'm not a Chris Paul fan. I tend to think it's hard to be a championship caliber team with a small point, except San Antonio seems to be able somehow. They can turn around a team in a hurry but usually cant carry you all the way. That is why we probably would have taken Deron anyways so who cares if Paul is blowing up. If we had taken Deron and made the same offseason moves we made then we'd probably be winning 40% of our games, if we'd taken Paul it appears we'd be winning more than 50%. I still like that we took Marvin but I do wonder if I'm like others and caught up in looking for the next superstar too much.

As far as comparisions though, no way Paul should be compared to Kenny Anderson. Size and college basketball conference is about all they have in common. If Kenny could shoot like Paul then he'd have been an all-star, much like it appears Paul will be. Damon Stoudamire or Tony Parker are the best comparisions to me. Well, maybe Isaiah is the best comparision but that one kinda makes me sick. What we really need is someone to find out how BK had the draft ranked, would he have actually taken Deron over Paul?

what i find humorous is not that every sports writers picked marvin williams as the better pick but that they all said it would take a few years to develoop yet still they all are changing their minds after a small portion of the first season....

leave marvin alone and let's not create drama that's not there. he will develop...

chris paul going above and beyond what most rooks do and what most people expected him to do does not mean marvin williams will suck.

In 2-3 years Josh Smith and/or Childress will be blowing it up for some other team because they couldn't get minutes here, Paul will still be a top 5 Pg, and Marvin won't be top 5 in any single catagory, position, ANYTHING...guaranteed...Oh, and JJ STILL won't be a Pg!

2 things hinder the development of our existing young players...

1) too many forwards, too little PT

2) No true Pg to lead or run an offense.

Paul would have already fixed those two AND would have been his own star at his position. Imagine a player that IS a star at his position and helps make stars out of others at their positions. Marvin isn't the first and can never be the later. ENOUGH SAID!

W

Why do you tell him to give it up, then go on and repeat what you've said many many times? We get it.

Both of you give it up.

We already know KB thinks Marvin is the second coming of Christ on the basketball court. We already know that you think it was a mistake not to take Paul because he fit better and might be the better player. We knew that months ago. All of you, give it up. Unless there is new insight based on new things happening, what is the point of posting the same thing over and over and over again?

Tell me, how is Josh Smith not going to be getting minutes when he's going to be playing the forward position alongside Marvin Williams.

Josh Childress. He will get minutes as well, as he will settle into the 6th man role that Billy Knight had in mind for Shane Battier when he drafted him. Childress will give the team minutes at the shooting guard and small forward positions.

Kobe averaged 3.4 points in the December of his rookie season.

tmac averaged 6 points and 3 reb in December of year one.

KG - 6 points and 2 reb in December of year one.

Isn't it too early to tell?"

Actually, I'd like to think that most people could see that

Kobe would be a big name back then... I'll admit, it wasnt

the same way with Tracy though.

• 2 years later...