• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody just plain got outcoached in the 4th

Admin

I agree with you 100 F'N percent!!!

How in the hell can you coach a healthy team with JJ, Al, ZaZa, and Salim to victory over a team led in scoring by Brvin Knight with 22. I mean the the next highest points scored by a Bobcat was 13. DAMN!!! And they were missing May, Okafor, and Rush. POOR!!! POOR!!! POOR Coaching!!!

That's is exactly what I was thinking, but then again was it just horrible execution. I think JJ heard too much criticism in a few recent close games and it made him give up the ball. We need to just make JJ take most of the shots down the stretch. That play where he thought Lue was open and he gave up the ball killed us. And then how can only Harrington and Chillz touch the ball with 7 secs left down by 3, any of the other players would have been much better choices. Salim from half court would have been better than a few of the last shots we took. Speaking of which, I like our rotations, etc but I still think I would use Salim in place of Lue to close out games.

I didn't get to watch the game but the reason for the loss is pretty obvious from the box score. Charlotte shot 49% for the game even though they are missing 3 key players. The Hawks defense has sucked even through their recent winning streak.

Their defensive shortcomings have been overcome by their hot 3 pt shooting recently. However tonight they shot 2 for 11 from 3 so they lose.

I am sure someone will get around to blaming Lue for the loss even though he scored 17 (7 of 12), with 5 assists and zero turnovers. Those are better than the numbers for either Knight or Felton.

Ivey played only 9 minutes, which leaves JJ at the point too much. Woodson seems to have completely lost confidence in Ivey.

The holes on this team aren't going to go away this year. They still need a starting point and a defensive big.

Zaza with 6 TO's what is up with that?

Quote:

I am sure someone will get around to blaming Lue for the loss even though he scored 17 (7 of 12), with 5 assists and zero turnovers. Those are better than the numbers for either Knight or Felton.

Please explain to me how 17 points and 5 assists are better numbers than 22 points, 5 assists, 7 rebounds, and 3 steals. Like you said you clearly didnt watch the game and even though I am not blaming this loss on Lue, BK had his way with him all night.

I am blaming this loss on Woody tonight. I like him as a coach and think for the most part he has done a great job, but once again he got outcoached by Bickerstaff. The game was in hand tonight with a comfortable lead late in the 4th, Bickerstaff brings back a rested Brevin Knight and Gerald Wallace and they cut into our lead and eventually overtake us. So we are down one and looking for the win and what do we hear from the huddle as Woodys plan? Try and get inside and look for the foul. Seriously, what kind of plan is that? Then on the last play the ball is thrown into Al, who F*ckin holds the ball for 5 seconds and throws a desperation pass to Childress (why the F*ck is he in the game down 3 with 7 seconds to go anyway?) and then with 2 seconds left Childress has to heave a Bill Cartwright looking shot at the rim. That is just extremely piss poor play calling and execution and I blame that entirely on Woody.

Now, for why this loss wasnt about our defense as much as it was about our lack of a quarterback on offense. Brevin Knight controlled the game for every second he was playing. He controlled the tempo and slowed it down and that didnt allow us to play our uptempo style like we are so successful at. Knight also shut down our perimeter shooting with his lock down D, along with Gerald Wallace patrolling the paint and rejecting shot after shot.

The bottom line is that we got exposed tonight. We got exposed with our lack of execution in the half court set and we got exposed with our lack of a leader on offense who could control the game and settle our players down. Tonight was the epitome of why this team needs a legit PG starting for us.

Oh and just to clarify, Lue did a good job on offense tonight, but just like the other recent games he has become a small 2 guard, not a distributing PG like we so desperately need.

• Premium Member

The boxscore tells you nothing about how we played.

They excuted well in the first but they (Bobcats) had a lot of turnovers... IN the 3rd qtr we went on a 26-3 run. What that says is that our defense was good enough to stop them Several times. When it was an 11-0 run, I was surprised but it moved on up.

So stop pointing at the defense.

Look at the refs in the 4ths. It was biased. Charlotte got touch fouls, Hawks got brutalized at home with no call.

• Premium Member

Over his last three games this is what Knight has done:

Hawks 22, 7, 5.

Clipps 21, 4, 7.

Bulls, 20, 3, 10.

I don't think the fact that Knight put up Points against our guys is something that is strange or unusal... When he is healthy, Knight is one of the better PGs in the league. We definitely should have gotten him.

Quote:

Please explain to me how 17 points and 5 assists are better numbers than 22 points, 5 assists, 7 rebounds, and 3 steals. Like you said you clearly didnt watch the game and even though I am not blaming this loss on Lue, BK had his way with him all night.

OK.

Knight scored 22 on 23 shots. When your attempts exceed your point total that isn't exactly a monster game. Lue scored 17 on 12 shots, had the same number of assists and zero turnovers and 2 steals.

Diesel I see your blind spot about the Hawks D continues. The Hawks are giving up over 47% opponents shooting on the season, 3rd worst in the league. Last night they gave up 49% to a poor shooting team that was missing 3 key players. It doesn't take a genius to see where the problem lies. All it takes is common sense.

I couldn't watch the game because LP didn't carry it.

Looks like your prediction of a 10 game winning streak after the Miami game was only 1 digit off.

I've watched all but 2 games this year, enough to know the Hawks D is weak.I've seen enough of your posts to realize you can't see it, or maybe you can you just don't like talking about it because your idol can't guard anyone.

If the game isn't on LP I can't see it. However the numbers don't lie.

it was on the NBA channel, 601. I had to search to find it myself.

That being said, there is a HELL of a lot more to a game than shooting percentage. Knight outplayed Lue in every facet of the game last night. There is also a MAJOR difference in the way he got his assists compared to Lue. Knight has very little to pass the ball to on the perimeter as they are almost a purely slashing team, whereas Lue was able to drive and kick to Smoove for some outside jumpers for easy dimes.

Again, you didnt see the game so you dont understand how Knight was the man in this game. He was in charge of the game from the beginning till the end. He is exactly what the Hawks need from their starting PG.

I don't have NBA TV. I think you have to pay separately for that here.

And I am well aware that the Hawks need a starting pg. But Knight played 10 more minutes and took 11 more shots yet scored only 5 more points than Lue, so it is a stretch to say he abused Lue.

Remember I was saying not long ago that they should bring in Watson specifically because he was a good defender at the point. Apparently BK isn't interested.

• Premium Member

It was good to see Smoove playing comfortably. He hit that corner shot a few times. However, Chillz drove with a few spinaruni type moves and got points.. One was that dunk that I should be at least #2 on the plays of the day.

I saw Smoove attempt a post up move which was encouraging.

Still, it's strange to me that Smoove scores better outside than IN and Chillz scores better inside... Putting the ball on the floor even?

Chill scores well inside because he can use either hand, uses the glass well and can get up very quickly. He can also change directions at odd angles to throw off the defense. he did that a lot more last year since they were running more.

When Smith goes inside he is very predictable.

The offensive playcalling and execution down the stretch was horrible and overcame JSmoove's stellar late play. I also don't know why JChill was in the game on the last possession either. Woodson is what he is.......... a caretaker "teaching" coach until this team really turns the corner and a vet coach is brought in.

• Admin

I guess the coach is to blame for the lack of effort that EVERYONE on that team brought to the floor.. give me a break.. He was pulling and replacing guys left and right. He did everything he could do, short of slapping people in the face, to get better effort out of his players. wtf more do you really expect him to do?

His players phone it in and played like they expected to win. The best teams in teh league will lose when they play like that and we are far from being one of the best. They built up a nice lead and went back to playing the way they had played the previous 36 minutes. It wasn't woodsons fault. He did all that a coach could do to get the win.

yes the players definitely got outplayed, but he made some TERRIBLE calls down the stretch. Did you see the game on TV or were you there? They told us on TV from the huddle what calls he was making and I was just like WTF?

He could have also told our guys to stop shooting nothing but jump shots as well. That might have helped since we werent hitting them.

Again I agree about the players being outplayed, but when the players arent giving enough effort or they arent doing what you told them to, you have to replace them with someone that will. Salim and Chillz gave him a ton of effort, but he replaced them with Al and Lue and the lead slipped away in the 4th. That was a bad coaching decision. Bickerstaff had his players cutting to the basket time and time again because they werent hitting their outside shots. Smitty even commented on that. Why is it that Woody allowed the players to keep shooting long jumpers? Of course the players should have taken it upon themselves to get inside, but when they didnt Woody should have done something about it.

Like I said before, I really like him as a coach, but he has games when he looks like a rookie head coach and last night was one of those nights. He deserves bad credit just as much as when he deserves good credit, just like any of the players.