• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why not start Salim Stoudamire?

Johnnybravo4

I don't understand why Woodson continues this farce of starting Royal Ivey. Allegedly it is for defensive presence in the beginning of the game and the second half, but from what I have seen in the last few games we actually have lost the game in the first few minutes of the half. His defense is totally overrated. He makes bad decisions with the ball and he has very limited offense. Hell he only averaged 9ppg in college!

We should start Salim Stoudamire. I love his intensity and fearlessness. His ball handling has improved dramatically since the beginning of the season. JJ and Salim could share duties bringing the ball up and having Salim as a perimeter threat would clear lanes for JJ to penetrate.

Heck, why not start Salim? Ivey's defense means nothing when he's the only one playing defense. The other team just goes around the horn and ends up with a wide open jumper or a layup anyway. Maybe they get to the foul line...which is a win-win because they either make the foul shots or rebound the misses.

If all the Hawks are gonna do is jack up perimeter shots and give up layups anyway, may as well have the best shooters in there.

ivey needs more time

last night he had 6 points in his first 3 mins

(4 points in first 2 mins of game, then benched; 2 points in first min of 2nd half)

he actually got 20 mins due to woody giving up and he got 11pts in 20 mins on 60% shooting and 5/6 from the line

the problem is most definitely not ivey; it's woody's sub patterns taking out the hot guy

btw, teams score 5.7 less points per 100 possessions when ivey is on the floor

that's the best defensive +/- stat on the team (smoove is -5.0 tho and jj is -5.4...our 3 best defensive players aligns with the 3 best defensive +/- stats)

Hey stat boy...that is a garbage statistic when your starting pg only plays 10 minutes a game. His presence on the floor is an utter waste of time. If Salim gets starter minutes he would avg about 15 pts 3-4 assists.

I can live with his rookie turnovers, what I can't live with is wasting 10 mintutes on a player who should be in the D league with Donta Smith.

Quote:

u don't expect them to score as much when they never play with him enough to get comfortable do you? our team also comes out sluggish and he only plays the start of the 1/3 period

Quote:

that is a garbage statistic when your starting pg only plays 10 minutes a game.

i'd hardly call the first few mins of the 1/3 quarter 'garbage time'...that's when the other team has their best players on the floor

Quote:

His presence on the floor is an utter waste of time.

teams score less to start games/halves since he is on the floor...that is a fact

Quote:

what I can't live with is wasting 10 mintutes on a player who should be in the D league with Donta Smith.

again, we aren't wasting 10 mins when he's keeping the opps from running away with the game in the first few mins of each half...notice last game they ran away with it in the first quarter because ivey only played 2 mins...if ivey stayed in for 5-6, then they may not have ran away with it in the 1st and that woulda changed the whole game

Being at the game last night gave me a different perspective. You see things that you might not notice on tv.

At one point Jeffries was contiually trying to post up Ivey and Ivey wasn't having it. Ivey would not allow him to establish position and was getting very rough, almost manhandling him. Finally Jeffries gave up.

Ihave been thinking about Lue's D. It was apparent last year that he wasn't a good defender but it didn't seem to hurt them as much. However after the success he had offensively last year and to a lesser extent this year I think teams are starting to game plan for him. They are attacking him much more aggressively when they have the ball to offset his effectiveness on offense.

I love Salim too, but in OT you saw the problem. He's not really a PG. He got in the air before he knew where he was going to pass it, and gave it right to the wizards, game over.

Sure he got us back in the game in the first place, but he also blew it in the clutch.

I love the guy, but he is not a starter at PG. We still need a big and a real point guard

he's done that several times this year (that I've seen, and I don't get to watch many games).

during the preseason game in Nashville against Miami, he did this on several occasions...and it infuriated me/ reminded me of JT.

this is not college, he is not at a 'place' where the players around him are generally better than those on the other team.

Players are now longer, better, and quicker...thus that drive the lane and then decide to pass while in the air...doesn't work AT ALL any more...

he doesn't start because he is a relatively single faceted player. True, that is scoring and aggressiveness, but those aren't the things we need at the start of the game when we have JJ and Al on the floor already.

If anything, after the opening stanza, I would prefer to Al and JJ to be on the floor together as little as possible (or at least when one is taking their breather). Why? because both prefer to go one-on-one so much and we've got enough of that..

I agree. He does it a lot and gets away with it more often than not, but that's not good enough for the NBA. You can't leave your feet without knowing where you're going. I really like Salime, but he will never be a great starter. He will always be a high scoring instant-offense option off the bench. We still need a real distributor to start here

I would rather have a microwave out there than the toaster oven Ivey

LOL

Anyway, Salim is not a starter.... He's in the role best

fitting of his scoring talents. People alsways assume

that a player will throw up alot better stats as a starter

and that simply isn't the case.

Some people were saying that once Al started he would be

a 20/10 player... He's an 18/8 type of player. His rebounds

only went up about 1RPG, and his scoring went up a few

points because he's the main focus on a team lacking

scoring options when he had to share with Artest, O'Neal,

Miller and Tinsley in Indiana.